I just can't do this anymore-work vent!

Old 03-13-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just can't do this anymore-work vent!

i have to get a new job. No 2 ways about it. I have 8 years experience and have been an executive chef. I even have a small NY Times article. For all of that I am actually applying for a "kitchen help" job on Tuesday. Id rather be a dishwasher than deal with this nonsense anymore! I have other resumes out, but I'll take anything else I can get right now! He owns 5 places, so in his mind he's as high functioning as it gets.

Restaurant kitchens are stressful, but add an alcoholic restaurant owner and it just sinks to a whole new low. I can't listen to this guy scream and rant anymore!!!! It's not always at me, but that makes no difference. I start to have a melt down and have to reel myself in. My alcoholic dad was a yeller and it Un nerves me! I'm am sick and tired of walking on eggshells to accommodate these people!!

ADDICTS HAVE TO LEARN TO LIVE NORMAL AND SOBER, LIVE IN THE NORMIE WORLD ACCORDING TO NORMIE STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOR! AM SICK TO DEATH OF LEARNING HOW TO WORK AROUND AND ACCOMMODATE THEM!!!! I'm at the point that I only want to learn the mechanics of addiction so I can avoid them.

He has even yelled at his wife in front of the whole staff while reeking and sweating liquor! She usually looks like 5 miles of bad road. I can't imagine why. He's drunk at noon. I was thinking about leaving some al a non/ aa lit around when there are customers so they can't tell where they come from. Thank God I have Sunday/Monday off and only one more day of the garbage!
Old 03-14-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Sounds like a pretty miserable job situation.

Have you looked into temp agencies? I've filled in with those in between "real" jobs. Maybe I'm wrong (I don't know the restaurant business), but taking a temp office job rather than a "kitchen help" job in a restaurant might look better from a career standpoint. I always think you don't want to settle for jobs that are too low on the ladder when you are working in your chosen field. It seems like it would be hard for an owner/manager to think of hiring you as a chef when your last job was kitchen help. For instance, I'm a lawyer. If I were in between jobs it would probably look better for me to have a temp office job than one as a paralegal.

Just a thought. Good luck--having a miserable job to go into every day sucks.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Lexie! I really never thought of just working outside of my field because I don't think I could do anything else that could cover the barely covered now bills. I may just do that though. The whole industry is a nightmare in general, so the drug and alchol abuse is rampant everywhere.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

There are lots of good temp agencies out there, and temp jobs. Some of them come with contracts for a set amount of time, and some even have benefits, depending on the job and how long you've been with them.

There are a couple of cool things about it, too--you can try out different things. Maybe you'll find something that really grabs you, or learn about careers that look interesting. The other thing is that they sometimes lead to a permanent job. Some employers like to hire temps first because it gives them a chance to try you out before "buying". Both parties can benefit.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It does sound miserable!

Ever thought of taking a sabatical of sorts? Many resorts, spas or guest ranches - nearby or far away - may welcome your experience and could be a short term change of pace.

I heard the same comment on the industry at rehab from the mother of a chef in recovery from alcoholism. Yet there are many places looking for drug and drama free staff.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks ya'll. I never even thought of the spa/resort angle. I thought about a cruise ship gig ,but people who have done it sat its a nightmare. The industry is a breeding ground for drugs and booze. Every night after the kitchen closes ( most times while we're still working) the bar tender pops in and takes "shift drink" orders. What other industry does that? It's horrible.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Actually, you might also think about looking into places like upscale rehabs, prep schools, places like that. I'm sure any drug/alcohol use (at work) by the staff would be VERY much frowned upon.

I have a feeling that a lot of resorts (other than those that market strictly to family-oriented clientele) would have a lot of the same kind of partying as you'd find in a restaurant--after all, a lot of the guests are there for the all-you-can-drink kind of setting. Someplace like the Disney Resorts most likely would not tolerate it.