New to forums; Sad day...

Old 03-13-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support. I can't express how helpful it has been over the past couple of days.

I spoke to a counselor today and I definitely feel better, but still heart broken. I have decided that her only option to have a chance to come back is to go directly into rehab. If not then I'm going to start moving on with our lives.

Her family has been extremely unhelpful. I don't understand why they can't see her alcoholism. I have heard her talking to them in the past and lord knows you can't miss the drunken speak.

Once again I can't thank you all enough for your kind words!
Old 03-13-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I caution you, if you "make" someone go to rehab, it may not stick. You have to want it and be willing to work at being sober for the rest of your life. It's a big commitment.

I am glad you are seeing a counselor and hope you have your children do the same. Don't be so sure her family does not know. It's quite easy to bury your head in the sand about this, especially when you don't live with the addict.

Hugs to you!
Old 03-13-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, I think I'd leave the ball in her court. If you give her the, "Go to rehab and you can come home" speech, she will go to rehab just to get home. If she goes on her OWN, you can take your time and see how she does when she comes out, and decide whether she's really committed to it.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Somber View Post
Maybe I should have tried harder.
You can't make people change if they don't want to take the effort to change, it's really that simple. Trying harder would just mean that you'd feel more pain when your efforts to change her didn't bear fruit. The only thing you have control over in this life is yourself. You do not control other people, you can only choose how to react to them. THEY are the ones who decide how to control themselves. That doesn't mean that you don't have the right to be angry, or sad, or disappointed when your spouse does something irresponsible... just don't expect that you'll be able to change her behavior through your will alone.

You made the same mistake I did, and that nearly everyone else did that posts on this forum: you thought that you could moderate or fix someone's addiction. You've learned the hard way, just like us, that doing so is beyond our power, and you can't force a sense of responsibility into another person if they don't want it.

When I met my current wife she didn't drink and I don't drink. I still don't know why it started or how I left it spiral out of control like this or how I could let this happen to my family.
You don't have any control over someone else's descent into addiction. You didn't cause it, you don't control it, and you can't fix it. All those things are on her. She made the conscious choice to start drinking, and she made the conscious choice to continue drinking until and after it started negatively affecting her life. Driving drunk is the height of irresponsibility. Driving drunk with children in the car, that is beyond irresponsible. She put her life, your children's lives, and the lives of complete strangers in jeopardy, and she wasn't remorseful for doing so.

I spoke to a counselor today and I definitely feel better, but still heart broken. I have decided that her only option to have a chance to come back is to go directly into rehab. If not then I'm going to start moving on with our lives.
The counseling is a good step in the right direction. Regarding the rehab, here's my own feelings on the matter. I'd say it's ok to set your boundaries for YOU, as long as your boundaries don't involve "changing someone else".

For example, I think it would be perfectly healthy to have these boundaries and communicate them clearly:
-that you will not live with or be in a relationship with someone who endangers your children,
-that you will not be in a relationship with someone whose drinking is causing problems within the family,
-that you will not be in a relationship with someone who belittles or screams at your children.

These are boundaries for *you*. I don't mean that you have to follow them, I'm just using them as examples as to how these are boundaries that are decisions you can make about how you choose to live your life, and who you choose to be with. There is no expectation of changing someone, it is just a way that you have decided you will live YOUR life.

I don't think that a boundary involving "you have to do _______ in order to come home" is effective, or healthy. It is highly confrontational and is just as likely to result in the complete opposite of the desired outcome. What happens if she goes through rehab and then relapses, as is so common when people don't want to go to rehab but do it anyway because they were 'forced to'? Then you're right back at square 1.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Everyone is right--forcing someone into rehab will not work.

Thomas makes some excellent suggestions for boundary creation--
You can control your life and protect your children.

You have zero control over your wife's choice to drink or get sober.
It has been making you depressed, sad, and angry trying and it hasn't worked.

Working on you, and building a healthy response to her dysfunction, would be the next logical steps don't you think?
Old 03-13-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Wow, I am so glad I came here. What you folks are saying makes so much sense...

We are packing now for that trip and I will think about the boundaries conversation I want to have with her as I am hanging out on sunny, sandy beaches over the weekend.

I am going to unplug from the world this weekend and enjoy the sand and sun with the kids as much as I can and once again I appreciate you all so much.

Have a great weekend.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Gosh, Somber, I'm sorry for your sadness. I want to praise and encourage your strength to tell her to go. (At least I think that is where your are, I've not finished reading the thread.) Im close to being there.... telling my AH I've had enough. I think it will be tomorrow morning, as he is passed out on the couch right now.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:45 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

My wife throwing me out probably saved my life. I went to rehab but not because I was told to. I was just left to figure it out. Sink or swim so to speak. I'm back with my wife but only after figuring out how to take care of myself and realizing that this was my problem to rectify.
I hope it all works out for you and your kids. Just realize that her addiction is her problem and only she can fix it. Rehab or no rehab.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:24 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I am so glad you found SR Somber.

It's a great place full of advice, support, love and strength to help us all on our journey.

Many here have been right where you are today.

I hope you and your kids have a wonderful weekend away 'unplugged from the world'. I love that phrase!

SR and Alanon keep me sane.

Take care of you first and foremost and the rest will follow.
All the best Phiz
Old 03-14-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Somber View Post
She's gone now and I'm so sad. What am I going to tell my kids when they get home from school today? We had a trip planned this weekend that I don't know if I can still go on...

Sitting alone in the house looking around at all the memories of the life we built together. I feel lost.

I can't help but feel like there was something I could have done better. I hope I haven't made a huge mistake.

I tried many times over the years to talk to her and communicate better but she never opened up and let me help. Maybe I should have tried harder.
It's not your fault. My ex told the kids I was unwell. I got better on my own and now they are grown up and living with me - Dad needed a deserved break xxxxx