Wedding bells

Old 03-12-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'm not saying it's easy, but take the short term discomfort upfront to make your long term life more bearable. Those who truly care about you will understand. The others, who needs them?
Old 03-12-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

nwgrits the money is already an issue. I cover his debts all the time. He gets angry that my business account has money in it. Doesn't seem to understand that my business money is for the business not him. Yes he does drink drive. Something that upsets me terribly. He also drink drives on his motorbike. In the last few months I have payed his speeding fine his phone bill his loan. His side of all the wedding stuff as well as my own. And like the true addict that he is. It's because my job isn't as good as yours I don't have the time to study, the children are too demanding, I can't it's your fault etc etc. how frustrating it is when someone doesn't pull their weight then moans at how hard they have it!
Old 03-12-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Understand View Post
nwgrits the money is already an issue. I cover his debts all the time. He gets angry that my business account has money in it. Doesn't seem to understand that my business money is for the business not him. Yes he does drink drive. Something that upsets me terribly. He also drink drives on his motorbike. In the last few months I have payed his speeding fine his phone bill his loan. His side of all the wedding stuff as well as my own. And like the true addict that he is. It's because my job isn't as good as yours I don't have the time to study, the children are too demanding, I can't it's your fault etc etc. how frustrating it is when someone doesn't pull their weight then moans at how hard they have it!
He's not going to magically become financially responsible because of a wedding. He is certainly never going to become financially responsible while there is someone who is constantly making sure he doesn't have to be.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

And that is all going to change for the better once you are legally committed to each other?
Old 03-12-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

how frustrating it is when someone doesn't pull their weight then moans at how hard they have it!

the quit enabling him! quit paying for his stuff. quit cleaning up his messes.

why are you really getting married anyways? it sounds like you have paid for everything, arranged everything, are miserable, but want to go thru with it so you get to wear a pretty dress......sorry that sounds blunt, but i don't hear anywhere how this is going to be a GOOD thing, how anyone will BENEFIT, how life will be BETTER for anyone involved, EXCEPT the guy who has somebody to pay for everything including his booze...........
Old 03-12-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Run, run now. Run fast and far.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
As the weight of just letting down so many people from my side and his side that are travelling from interstate and over seas.
As opposed to letting yourself down by marrying someone who is currently in active alcoholism?

Sometimes, the biggest lies we tell are to ourselves. And going down the aisle is something you know to be a lie. If that's what your choice is, then that's what your choice is, but you make that choice knowing it's the wrong one for you.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

<--- You can stop this, right here, right now.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Don't go through with it. If you don't think enough if yourself to stop it and stand up for you, think of your kids at least, who you admit you must protect from this man. Protect them then. Don't do this.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

He's still drinking, he's never been financially reliable, and you will
allow someone who is in active addiction legal rights over your kids?

I grew up with an alcoholic parent.
It pretty much scarred me for life--my role model(s) were drunks
in dyfunctional relationships, and my home was not a safe place
for me physically or emotionally.

I am now a recovered alcoholic and have serious problems with emotional connection with other people.
I chose to drink, but I began drinking largely to suppress the pain inside me from my childhood experiences--the worst of which were directly attributable to alcohol abuse by my mother.

Our place here is to offer you support whatever your choice, and I certainly do offer that.

But do consider that the children will almost certainly be paying a very high price in the long-term and there is no "protecting them" from an angry drunken parent.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

@Understand, I want to apologize for my overly "advising" tone. After 2 decades married to an alcoholic, it is difficult sometimes, when seeing someone preparing to hurl herself or himself and kids off of the (metaphorical) cliff, to take that step back. Good luck to you.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

You think you hate it now just wait until you're married to him, WOW! You do realize you have a large part in driving him to be who he his with the financial stuff, right? He sounds like a gigantic albatross hanging around your neck that will grow 10x in size after you're married. Why are you signing up for that? It sounds like you're pulling all the weight now... So why do you want this situation to not only continue but know it will be getting much worse?
Old 05-14-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hey, guys. I've been too scared to post, but here I am. We did it we got married. It was a great day full of love and everything you could of wanted. But you guys are right. I knew that then, I know it now. Here we are 6 weeks into our married life and I have finally got the strength to up and leave. I picked up keys to my new house today! He's interstate for a week. I've told him I'm going and he's to stay at the old house. This way the kids need not know anything just yet. Dads away we have moved dad will join us later. This is a massive step and I feel great. I'm still hoping he gets help joins a group and gets counciling. I know deep down there will be more to come but for now my house is calm I'm feeling proud! And I have some confidence in myself and my abilities. It's a small step but a massive step at the same time. Thanks for helping me see the patterns and keeping me in check with reality. X
Old 05-14-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hello Understand! Thank you for this update! I'm glad you are moving forward!
Old 05-14-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

It's never too late to start a new life

Glad you are moving on and wish you strength and happiness in your journey.

Keep coming back!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry that it worked out that way, but I'm glad that you are able to move forward so quickly & easily. Welcome back!
Old 05-14-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Did you sign and record marriage contract? If so.... Same drinking problem is now a legal problem, consult with an attorney on how to disentangle.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I am also glad you have made this decision.

Best to legally sever it the quicker the better.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

((((Big ol hug)))

You've mentioned a few times about being embarrassed or being made a fool of so you've not reached out to others as you might otherwise. We are only as sick as our secrets. No one who truly cares about you and your children could be upset by you canceling a personal ritual. I once heard pastor TD Jakes say that when he does a wedding and says "I now pronounce you husband and wife" he has to laugh. He said there should be a gap of about 5 years before you get pronounced husband and wife. Right now you're just two people going through a ceremony. A marriage is built over years.

Given the hard time you've already put in, I can't see it getting any better with a marriage license.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Yes we signed. We did the legal. We don't really have much though. We don't own a house I stopped putting money in the joint account years ago. So as far as finance goes there shouldn't be much of a struggle. We are rich in children! That is where the battle will be. I hope he keeps his distance and stays away for these few weeks. So the children are none the wiser. Unfortunately he knows where thus house is, so my confidence on that is a little thin. He has respected me so far and not contacted me. It's only day two though.