A Prayer was Answered

Old 03-07-2015, 09:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Prayer was Answered

I often wrestle with the concept of co-parenting with XAH while keeping my DD safe. Per my divorce decree, if I suspect drinking then I can request a breath test. Today there were so many flags to indicate he had been drinking last night. Our decree states a zero alcohol tolerance level before custody exchanges. Today I requested a test and took the quacking from him stating I was wasting time, he was fine. But I didn't back down from the request. Meanwhile he calls his parents hoping they could rescue him from my request. But I stood my ground and I politely asked them to stay out of it. If he wasn't drinking, I needed him to SHOW me, not TELL me.

Long story short, he blew. Not only was he positive, he was over the legal limit in our state. He wasn't arrested for DUI, despite the officer witnessing him driving to another location to test. Unbelievable! Even XAH wanted to dispute the results. He couldn't possibly be drunk because he didn't feel drunk. Thank goodness I didn't put my daughter in the car with him.

There are so many times I've ignored my gut, intuition, guidance, logic, whatever you want to call it, because he tells me otherwise. I've learned so much reading this forum and looking at sources others here have found helpful and it's giving me confidence to listen again. For that I'm grateful, so thank you all for helping me listen to me again.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good for you for sticking up to your X
Old 03-07-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Brava!!!!! Well done, hold the fort!
Old 03-08-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Nice job! I'm generally not a fan of breathalyzers as a way to check whether the alcoholic has been drinking, but safety of kids is an exception to that. If there is reason to believe an alcoholic has been drinking, then the breathalyzer can be a good neutral way to check that they are safe for driving/visitation.

I find it very odd that the cop didn't do anything, but it may be that your word was not sufficient for him to make a traffic stop. He might have had to observe some sign, himself, of intoxication.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good going for sticking by your gut!!!

I swear I don't understand how people get away with things. I would get a ticket for spitting on the street never had much luck with warnings vs. tickets.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you for trusting your gut and keeping your child safe! How does the breathalyzer testing work? Self administered or you actually have to arrange it with the police department?
Old 03-08-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Per the coparenting plan, does he have to go somewhere for the breathalyzer? Do they keep a record of the test?
Old 03-08-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The breath test can be done privately or through the city police station, whatever we both agree on. Since we have been to court for custody and visitation changes, his attorney advised him we go through the police station. For almost a year he refused to take any sort of test. When we do that, the police must record his information to document a test was performed and what the outcome was. It's all on record. It's difficult to disprove the results when it's done by someone trained to do so.