Just had interesting thought

Old 03-04-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just had interesting thought

Just wondering from all of you, do you see more male alcoholism in families where the wife works vs stay at home? My ex used to complain (King baby) that I didn't take care of him enough....as if that was my job...I felt guilty for a long time that with my job and taking care of kids that I couldn't spend time with him and be a "good wife". (I know this is not true...and nothing I did or didn't do could have changed the outcome) I recall him telling me a lot, "all I need from you is to feed me and f**k me". Uh huh. Lovely. It always made me wonder if at an evolutionary level that men are inherently happier with their lives with their wife at home (and possibly less alcoholism????) My ex always wanted me to stay at home....said he would be happier if I did that (again-no guilt on my part that anything I did caused his drinking to progress).

Just wondering...one of those random questions that just popped into my head....
Old 03-04-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And on the flip side for us Codie's, is there any correlation to staying at home vs working mom as to the length we stick with our AH's?
Old 03-04-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcoholism does not discriminate by race, creed, gender, religion, sexuality or economic status.

Be careful not to torture yourself with the idea that you could have done something differently to manage his alcoholism.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not at all thinking that....not tortured st all. Just honestly wondered looking around at the alcoholics and families I have in my life-and honestly womdered...
Old 03-04-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've worked outside the home and I've been a stay-at-home, and both ways my AH felt I was not doing as much as he thought I should be doing (otherwise he would never "need" to drink, right?). My AH is a "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" type. He loves to tell me how miserable a life he has.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Me too^^^. I know it's not us....our fault....just thought it was interesting
Old 03-04-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

foroutgirls...I don't think that makes any difference. I have seen families where there is multigenerational alcoholism and all of the women were stay-at-home.

As to your second question....I do think that in some cases, a partner may feel like they can't leave because they do not have enough marketable skills to support the family, alone.

dandylion

***Mr Quackerson should just shut his bill....
Old 03-04-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

""all I need from you is to feed me and f**k me"."

No matter how bad a relationship gets, they still want their sex.

Dog-gone-dest thing I have ever heard of!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If that's all he wanted from you, he could have hired someone to do that.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

*shrug* the only thing you can say for sure is they'll drink for any hair-brained reason they can come up with, so long as it's not their fault
Old 03-04-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

From an evolutionary perspective it used to be that way. And women were farmers, care takers, doctors.... we did everything for the home except hunt.

But it hasn't been like that in ages. And evolutionarily speaking, some people still feel that the old way is best. Except it gets confused as to what a woman's role actually was. I.E. MORE than just a cook and sexual device.

As for alcoholics and abuse? It would be easier for a woman to leave the relationship if she were financially independent.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eauchiche View Post
No matter how bad a relationship gets, they still want their sex.

Dog-gone-dest thing I have ever heard of!!!
I hope you're referring to the alcoholics, and not all men in general

While I do recognize that I am quite different from most men I know, I found that towards the later stages of my relationship with my ex wife, I was completely repulsed by her when she would be drunk. Her drunkenness often came with the desire to verbally lash out at someone, and there would be times where she would sit opposite from me on the sofa and say terrible things to me all night, and then when I went to bed she would try to forcefully be intimate with me. If I protested, she'd be quick to point out that if I didn't give her what she wanted... in her own words: "I can go to the bar and **** any guy, I don't have to **** you!" So yeah, not all guys operate on that level.

Alcoholics, keeping it classy since ancient Mesopotamia. I'd like to say that I can't believe he'd say something like that to you, Forourgirls, but unfortunately my experience tells me otherwise when it comes to drunks.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No matter what you do, most As will blame it on it not being the opposite.

My exBF used to tell me that he drank because he was lonely at night. I work a lot of nights and weekends and will not be in a financial situation to leave my job for many years (job pays well, but I owe a lot of student loans). I used to remind him that even if we were married, he'd spend evenings alone. His response, "But it would be different..."

I didn't stick around to find out.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And yes, thomas45, disgusting. Gee, I wonder why our sex life was so lacking....maybe bc he abandoned me every night to spend time with his wife, alcohol, left me crying inside on some nights, bitched at me when he would come to bed drunk and I didn't want his hands on me....and of course when drunk, told me such lovelies as previously posted. Yes-sign me up for sex with this man!!! Addiction is horrible. Awful. Thankful I got out.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

He's an alcoholic. He's immature. Very immature. It is not up to a partner to take care of another like a parent.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

And back to my original question, yes it is evident that they think if just everything was "perfect" then they wouldn't have to drink. Thankful to have financial independence and support to change the course of my life and our girls.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I say no, because I was a stay-at-home mom, always volunteering at school, took my kids to activities, played with them. One would think that would be some kind of insurance. Turns out I have one well-adjusted child and one alcoholic. Upbringings were basically the same. My husband and I rarely drink. Just luck of the draw I guess.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think there are some who are the sole breadwinners who use that as a huge form of manipulation. It always makes me so sad to read on there women who are stuck b/c they stay home with their babies and have no income outside of him. It's scary. It should not have to be, but there it is.

I also think an alcoholic will say and do quite anything to justify their drinking, especially in their own mind.

Just my .02
Old 03-05-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forourgirls View Post
And back to my original question, yes it is evident that they think if just everything was "perfect" then they wouldn't have to drink.
WELL. my take on that is, that they would manufacture a reason to keep drinking.

I have been fantasizing lately about opening a detention facility way out in the desert for them- too far away to buy alcohol and no way to make it. We would end up with 100% sobriety in a very short time.