A Twist on "I didn't cause it, I cannot cure it..."

Old 03-02-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Twist on "I didn't cause it, I cannot cure it..."

I talked to my cousin just a while ago, where I told her I regret being a bad example to my separated alcoholic mate by drinking with him before I got sober.

She told me, probably for the tenth time, that I didn't cause it. After pondering this for a while, I finally get it.

I have been sober for a year now. I had my last drink in March of 2014. The "good " example I am setting now has not stopped my mate from drinking. In fact, his alcoholism has gotten much worse this year. If my good example can't stop it, then my bad example before didn't start it!

Thank goodness for my program and wise family and friends!
Old 03-02-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on a year-whhhoooorah. I joined you in that milestone just under a month ago. It feels awfully good to call yourself RAW or RAG (is that what it is for girlfriend?). I completely get where you're coming from. I haven't noticed that my sobriety has made one bit of difference in the bad behaviors (non alcoholic in my case) of those around me and I agree, I've seen it actually get worse. This is why its so important that in the long run sobriety is for US and not to placate other people. It took me a year to reach that point but I finally "got" that not long ago and it is immensely freeing and is allowing me to move further ahead in my own recovery.

Congrats again!
Old 03-03-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just decided to quit alcohol for myself as well. (30 days today) And it has had zero effect on my mother and my xabf. I expected that. Good thing we understand that!

Isn't it funny how it's easier to accept what we may have done wrong than what we do right though? All the what ifs can really keep us stuck!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your choice lemongirl