struggling today

Old 08-15-2004, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

struggling today

Hello everyone,

I find comfort in reading the posts and participating at times. After I leave the forum and reflect on what I have read I have been getting upset to the point of tears today. then I sign back on and read some more and feel better for a little while, and then I go reflect on what I have read and here come the tears. Does anyone else ever do this? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to not have so many tears over reading these posts because many of the posts are so close to my story it's almost like an autobiography sometimes. I want to handle these feelings in a positive manner not with tears.

Open to suggestions,
Kell
Old 08-15-2004, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kell -
When I first came here and first started my recovery, I felt the same way. For me, it was all about actually seeing the real world for what it was. I was stopping my denial and my excuses. Seeing and admitting the truth was hard. It was sad. I felt bad for a while.

Then, I decided that I could either go back to pretending everything was OK or I could move forward to find a better way to live. I moved forward and haven't looked back. I'm not sad anymore.
L
Old 08-15-2004, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kell,

I have shoved my sadness down for so long and pretended it wasn't there that I think by the time I figured out that there was help in the world for me and that I wasn't alone I must have cried enough for the whole neighborhood.

I believe that the tears are part of the process and if you feel sad it's OK to cry. Sometimes you just need to cry. I try not to wallow in self-pity and that has been a learning process for me too.

When I get impatient I just remember that it took me a long time to get this sad and feel this out of control, it will take just as long to heal.

As has been said many times to me by people here, be kind to yourself. Give yourself some time to heal and work through the tears by working on the steps in your own way and in your own time and you will slowly see a change. The tears will come less frequently and you'll start to feel other emotions again, it just takes time.

Hugs!

Marci
Old 08-16-2004, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

((Kell))
From being in Al-Anon for some time, I can tell you that it is part of recovery. We are beginning to face the things that we avoided for so long. It is painful. It takes time to start healing. I had a choice when I started, to either go through this, tears and all, or bottle it all up again. I will tell you that it gets better. We do start to heal. The more we practice the things we are learning, the better we get. Give yourself permission to cry. There is nothing wrong with it, and it won't last forever. Hugs, Magic