this is my mom

Old 02-27-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

this is my mom

I'm so angry. This is my mom you guys.

She was asked to come to be a support to me. I can't sleep, I'm frustrated with my roommate, so I ask mom to bring my back pack to me so I can study my diagrams and when on my laptop for school. She is refusing to do it. Saying that I need to sleep instead. I'm about in tears. I have a mid term on Tuesday, I don't like watching tv, my battery charger is not here for my phone.

Why is she doing this? Why wont she just support me and let me have my laptop and books?

This is not support. This is why I hate having her around. I have sh1t to do.

I'm stuck here without a phone charger, my make up bag, my school books..... And in all actuality, I know she is refusing because she simply doesn't want to drive into town. My mom is pretty lazy and doesn't do anything she doesn't want to.

F this.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welllllll........you may not like my response Free.

You just had a hysterectomy TODAY. Mom is right. You need to rest. I have a feeling if you had what you asked for that you would force yourself to stay up and study.

Rest, seriously, you need to. Makeup? Come on girl.

Why don't you ask the nurses to bring you something to relax you and sleep. Get mom to bring those things to you tomorrow.

I hope you are feeling ok sounds like you it went well. Prayers for a fast recovery!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm with red. I'm glad you're feeling so feisty, though!

Take a couple days and rest. Sleep.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hate to say it kiddo, but I agree with red. You just had freakin' surgery. Some innards taken out, ya know? Cut yourself a break.

You'll be home soon and then you can do whatever you want. File this under the category of "things I cannot change" and ACCEPT that for this brief period of time you are out of commission. Getting all bent out of shape doesn't help anything.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No your right. I don't like your response.

I'm 32 years old and laying here staring at the wall would be just as restful as doing some math problems, browsing on the web, or matching up diagrams.

This is not support (on her part). This is once again about control and getting her way. Plus she brought my 12 year old sister and everyone is celebrating her birthday at home right now. So it's not about love and caring. It's about her. It's always about mom. Plain and simple. If someone told me that they would feel better if they had done items why them at the hospital... Why would I NOT comply?

Yes I'm angry. This is not her decision. She can't just "play mom" when she wants. Plus, laying here and working on my laptop is just as resting as laying and watching tv.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As somebody who gets endlessly irritated by my passive aggressive mother (and I'm no spring chicken) I do GET where you're coming from. That said its nice to know you're chipper enough to be venting here.

Be good to yourself:-)
Old 02-27-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

So maybe she doesn't have good motives. Honestly? If I were there (and you GOTTA know I'm in your corner a hundred percent) I don't think I'd be bringing you your laptop until tomorrow.

If you're bound and determined to study, against all advice to the contrary, why not ask one of the nurses if they have some textbooks or nursing manual you can look at? Tell them you are a nursing student and going bonkers not having anything to read. They've gotta have some journals or something around there you could peruse.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Although I'm with the supportive comments regarding you needing your rest...this is your life and your choice. Keeping busy can help take your mind off things. I think you know yourself better than anyone there, or here for that matter. Remember, most of us here are also working on control issues.

Many of us who fall into the trap of being with abusers who don't respect us, come from parents who don't respect us. Believe me, I totally get this. How will you ever have the guts to make your own decisions when you are treated like a child who can't even have a simple request respected? No wonder you second guess yourself when trying to stay firm about things.

Do you think your mom will go behind your back and collaberate with your AH or others in order to control you? Has she done things behind your back before? If you set a boundary or insist on something, will she respect you or will she punish you? I don't know your mom, but I don't trust mine (not to meddle and control) as far as I could throw her.

I wish one of us could be there with you and have your back!

Personally, I'd send mom packing if your kids or anyone else are capable of respecting your wishes and helping you.

I'm glad you can at least keep in touch with us. Is there anything we could do to help you research stuff online to get your mind off of where you're currently stuck?

Can you get YouTube? I'm sure I could dig up something either amusing or informative. Just say the word my friend!

Old 02-27-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Free, I understand where you are coming from. I had my hysterectomy on a Tuesday in early December and went back to work on that Monday. I can see how you are feeling ok and it is a waste of time sitting there. For some reason I got out the same day, so it was a little easier for me being home (by myself).

Take care of yourself and do what they say. I guess they know better!!
Old 02-27-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know your situation but do you have anyone else than can go and retrieve your things for you?
Old 02-27-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

depending on the undependable always leads to frustration.

RIGHT NOW you need to let all the crap GO and get some rest. trust me, the world will still spin on its axis even if you take a day off!!! first things first. you take care of you in this moment, and the rest will work out. getting stressed out will NOT help your healing.

be calm, get zen, let it all go.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Free, I don't usually disclose anything about my work here, but this might be relevant: I teach at the college level, and if a student came to me and told me they were having a hysterectomy, I would give them as much time as they needed to recover and prepare for their next exam. Have you tried talking to your teachers? I'm sure they would want you to rest.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No I do understand where everyone is coming from. I really do. I just operate on a level of needing to stay busy (in mind) and learning, reading, etc is my outlet. If I was reading a romance novel, people would applaud.

I'm sorry, my post came back really offensive and rude. That wasn't my intent. I'm just frustrated with my mom and I'm hot, my roomie won't let me sleep, and I'm just not "resting" here. Ugh

Sorry guys, your right.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Free - I totally get it. I'm a former nurse, and I don't "do" lying around and resting very well The last time I took my stepsister to the ER for migraines, between the two of us we had 2 smart phones, a tablet and an iPad. I was dragging all the chargers around.

TBH, though, if you were the nurse and had a patient who had just been through surgery, what would you recommend? Have you told them you can't sleep?

You do need your rest. I get the anger at your mom but in all honesty, I think a part of this is that you're just not happy at feeling helpless to do what you want to. I get that, too.

I felt like I needed to be studying, nonstop, when I was in nursing school. What I found, though, after being forced into some situations that MADE me take a break (a day or night) was that I actually did better on tests.

Everyone here cares about you, we are here for you, but the general consensus is that you do need some rest. I hope you get some.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-27-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by freetosmile View Post
No I do understand where everyone is coming from. I really do. I just operate on a level of needing to stay busy (in mind) and learning, reading, etc is my outlet. If I was reading a romance novel, people would applaud.
Not me. I d tell you how romance novels are a training ground for codependency
Seriously I am glad that the operation went well. I wanted to tell you to get some rest but I am afraid you will throw your bedpan at my head.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just ((((((((((hugs))))))))))), you'll be out of there tomorrow, and when you finish school and are a nurse, you will hope that you never have a patient like you. (lol)

Now get some rest, you know you won't get it at home.

((((((((((((more hugs)))))))))))
amy
Old 02-27-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes I have told them I can't sleep. I will be taking some Ambien here in a few min. And yes, feeling controlled and regarded to as a child pisses me off a lot. But I'm chomping at the bit too, I need to just relax.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Not me. I d tell you how romance novels are a training ground for codependency
Seriously I am glad that the operation went well. I wanted to tell you to get some rest but I am afraid you will throw your bedpan at my head.
Hahaha!!! Don't make me laugh, it hurts!!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Niki...................

You're one tough cookie............. You sound well enough to go home now, but wait................. your mom is there, (lol) I think it is better to just rest up and go home tomorrow and get her out of there.

As much as you hate this, enjoy your rest time.

((((hugs))))
amy
Old 02-27-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi freetosmile. I hope your sleeping well while I type this! I've been around here off and on for about 9 months. I check back in every once in a while when I need to vent and I read the threads while I'm here. That being said, I don't know your story well. And I certainly don't know your mom. I did go back and read some. You have 5 kids at home from 14 - 9 and your mom brought your 12 year old sister with her. That's 6 kids. Could it be that asking her to load 6 kids up on an evening that she's celebrating the 12 year old's birthday was a little much? I think coming to stay with 5 kids is supportive. I'm sorry you don't have a good relationship with her. That much was obvious from the way you posted about her coming before you even had the surgery. Just thought I'd offer another way of looking at the situation. Everything is worse when we feel bad. I hope you're better soon. Get strong and stay strong!