The Language of Letting Go, Feb. 22

Old 02-22-2015, 01:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, Feb. 22

FEBRUARY 22

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Solving Problems

I ask that You might help me work through all my problems, to Your Glory and Honor.
--Alcoholics Anonymous

Many of us lived in situations where it wasn't okay to identify, have, or talk about problems. Denial became a way of life--our way of dealing with problems

In recovery, many of us still fear problems. We may spend more time reacting to a problem than we do solving it. We miss the point; we miss the lesson; we miss the gift. Problems are a part of life. So are solutions.

A problem doesn't mean life is negative or horrible. Having a problem doesn't mean a person is deficient. All people have problems to work through.

In recovery, we learn to focus on solving our problems. First, we make certain the problem is our problem. If it isn't, our problem is establishing boundaries. Then we seek the best solution. This may mean setting a goal, asking for help, gathering more information, taking an action, or letting go.

Recovery does not mean immunity or exemption from problems; recovery means learning to face and solve problems, knowing they will appear regularly. We can trust our ability to solve problems, and know we're not doing it alone. Having problems does not mean our Higher Power is picking on us. Some problems are part of life; others are ours to solve, and we'll grow in necessary ways in the process.

Face and solve today's problems. Don't worry needlessly about tomorrow's problems, because when they appear, we'll have the resources necessary to solve them.

Facing and solving problems, working through problems with help from a Higher Power, means we're living and growing and reaping benefits.

Higher Power, help me face and solve my problems today. Help me do my part and let the rest go. I can learn to be a problem solver.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love this! I really needed to read this today.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This was a good one today! Lately I have been finding myself feeling stuck and feeling sorry for myself relative to all the problems that I need to deal with. Some I really do have to handle - elderly/ill parents, finances, etc and I've been procrastinating.

My favorite part is this:

In recovery, we learn to focus on solving our problems. First, we make certain the problem is our problem. If it isn't, our problem is establishing boundaries. Then we seek the best solution. This may mean setting a goal, asking for help, gathering more information, taking an action, or letting go
Thanks for sharing
Old 02-22-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
In recovery, many of us still fear problems. We may spend more time reacting to a problem than we do solving it. We miss the point; we miss the lesson; we miss the gift. Problems are a part of life. So are solutions.

A problem doesn't mean life is negative or horrible. Having a problem doesn't mean a person is deficient. All people have problems to work through.
This part was especially golden for me. Any time a problem arises, I want to fix it right now and put it behind me. And yes, in my rush to return to the desirable state of "no problems", I DO miss the point, I DO miss the lesson, and I most certainly miss the gift!

We've all heard a zillion times how a problem is really just an opportunity to learn and grow. Have you guys been able to take this to heart? I know I sure haven't--I give that idea lip service and no more...

These daily postings have just been amazingly on point for me lately--or else I just have so much work to do that it doesn't matter what the reading is, it applies!

Thanks to everybody who's walking this path with me.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In recovery, we learn to focus on solving our problems.
Seriously, this has been the lesson that I have been learning over and over again this whole month. I want to stop focusing on 1. the problem, 2. who caused said problem and instead start focusing on solutions and being dedicated to the solutions. Sounds so much easier than it is sometimes.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And here I called it procrastinating! Lol...
I am learning to trust myself and my HP that I CAN solve my problems...