Antabuse

Old 02-20-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse

Hi,
I'm new to this site and have never posted before. My husband has been in recovery for 3 years and 3 months. For the past two years he has been taking Antabuse to deter him from drinking.
Yesterday things got on top of him and he drank about a third of a bottle of cava. He quickly became unwell. He was very sick all day. Today he feels much better however he still has a blotchy rash on his body.
He's glad he was on the tablets as he says they stopped him drinking any more. He also says he has never felt so ill.
Does anyone else have any experiences like this?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Antabuse is, at best, a crutch It's not a long-term solution or treatment for alcoholism. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts ditching the pills so he can get the effect he needs.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lily,
My husband has been on/off Antabuse for about 6 months. I don't think he's ever suffered a rash or felt sick all day. He told me once that he drank while on it, which made him feel sick, but he did it anyway. Unfortunately, my husband's experience tends to support what Lexie says, about it being a crutch rather than a deterrent. My husband admits to 'gaming it,' going off it when he knows he'll want to drink. And, if you read information about the drug online, you will see that the studies show it's most effective when the person agrees to being monitored when they take it, something my husband won't do.

I'm curious that your husband has been on it so long. Has it helped his mind and brain heal from the effects of alcohol? I've heard that it takes about 3 months for the brain fog to go away so that the person can make clearer decisions again, so I thought maybe if we husband actually takes it consistently for that long, he'll start to get back to his old self. Is that your experience?

I hope the all-day sickness and rash help your husband stay sober.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sauerkraut,

Thanks for your reply. The reason he has been on it so long is because about a year into being sober he suffered a blip. He drank a glass of wine. He recognised that this could become a massive issue very quickly. He went back to his alcohol worker who suggested the Antabuse for him. It was never meant to be the only thing that stopped him drinking, it has been used as a buffer for him, so for example he knows it's takes two weeks to get out of his system so it gives him time to think about not picking up the drink.

He has done amazingly well so far, he has lost 4 stone, now runs half marathons and is the fittest he has ever been. I guess he has kind of replaced drinking with being fit. I also have to say I'm so proud of him.

Also I need to mention that he was on anti depressants and medication for high blood pressure. He has since managed to come off all the medication he has been on. The only pill he takes is the Antabuse.

Around two weeks ago he recognised that he was feeling stressed and things were getting on top of him. He injured his knee which has always been a massive issue for him. He worries that if he can't exercise he will have nothing to fill the gap. We lead pretty hectic lives, both full time shift workers with two children. I guess he doesn't deal with stress as well as the next person. Anyway he saw it coming and went to the doctors. They put him on some short term medication to ease his anxiety and also referred him for CBT and talk therapy which he really wants to do. We are still waiting for that to come through. He started to feel a little better, however things must had come to a head the other day and he drank some wine.

The Antabuse worked and made him very ill. He says that it was a good thing he was on it. He may have just carried on drinking if he had not been so ill. He says it was a wake up call for him.

He has always been happy for me to watch him take the tablet, although I try not to enforce this
As I don't want him to feel backed into a corner.

Since then he has not had a drink. I impulse ordered a breath kit and he is happy to blow into this. Again this is his own choice, it's not something I try and make him do.

I do really believe that he wants to stay sober, he has too much to lose. He also nearly died when he was at his worse.

I also think that Antabuse hand in hand with other things can help.

I guess I just wanted to speak with other people who are going through the same as us.

Thanks for your reply and I really hope your husband beats this
Old 02-21-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Lilypad...In the past I have placed many people on antabuse as a tool during the early period of recovery (as medical co-ordinator of an alcohol treatment program). Of course, they were carefully medically evaluated and followed with periodic liver studies. They were not "forced", but most took it voluntarily .

It was viewed as a tool for those who wanted to abstain from alcohol..sort of like an "extra insurance" for when they were might impulsively want to reach for that first drink.
It wasn't a primary treatment of course. These patients were in an ongoing outpatient program...as well as attending AA meetings. There was family involvement, as well.
It is for the motivated...because the unmotivated will simply avoid taking the pills.

I don't look at it as a "crutch". More like an additional tool for those who want to abstain from alcohol. For anything that "helps" (and doesn't hurt)...I am in favor of.

I have never know, personally, anyone who took it for two full years, uninterrupted. Sometimes, however, a patient who had been in recovery for a substantial period of time would come in for a prescription if they were feeling the signs that a relapse was possibly imminent.
Sometimes, a person would try to drink on it. If they had been taking their pills every day...they would become very sick. This would give a new opportunity for them to examine their own program--and where they might need to make some changes.

dandylion
Old 02-21-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Dandylion.

Thanks for your reply. My husband also has liver function tests. So far they have all come back great.

I think his problem has been he has basically gone it alone since first seeking help. I think the CBT will really help him along side the talk therapy.

His doctor has never expressed concern about him being on antabuse for so long. My Husband just sees it as giving him some thinking time. I'm hoping he is able to get back on track this time.

Thanks again for your reply
Old 02-21-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Lily...I tend to agree with you that trying to "go it alone" is not the best idea.

dandylion
Old 02-21-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Lily,
My son has been on it for a month. It's been a godsend, if only just to separate him from the liquor. I do administer it, although he is not opposed to taking it. When I told his nurse I expected him to be on it for life, she said that was not the plan. Their hope is that he will have learned enough in rehab to be able to handle it on his own. I personally think, why not take it once a week just to keep it in your system?

His doctor wanted to go with Vivitrol injections but at $1500 a month, I couldn't wing it. I also think that it might encourage him to drink more because he can't "feel" it.

Congrats on your hubby's progress.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Ingal...from what I have seen...it is best to take it more frequently than once a week in order to get the desired effect (which is to make a person feel sick as can be). I have seen people "skip" pills and go ahead and drink because they are willing to withstand being mildly sick in order to drink. The people who do this are usually pretending to others that they are taking it every day..when they are not. (lol...these people, of course, are missing the whole point). After about 3-4 days, a person can usually drink if they want to bad enough...although they will experience, at least, some l evel of discomfort.
Self motivation is such an important component.

dandylion

***it is also important to keep in mind that each person has their own unique metabolism and conditions and may respond to any drug differently that their neighbor***
Old 02-21-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Ingal I hope your son continues to do well. My husband has also started to take campral again. He finds this really helps with cravings. I guess all I can do now is support him and hope he chooses to stay sober dde04