The Language of Letting Go, Feb. 17

Old 02-17-2015, 12:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, Feb. 17

FEBRUARY 17

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Acceptance

Our basic recovery concept that never loses its power to work miracles is the concept called acceptance.

We do not achieve acceptance in a moment. We often have to work through a mirage of feelings==sometimes anger, outrage, shame, self-pity, or sadness. But if acceptance is our goal, we will achieve it.

What is more freeing than to laugh at our weaknesses and to be grateful for our strengths? To know the entire package called "us"--with all our feelings, thoughts, tendencies, and history--is worthy of acceptance and brings healing feelings.

To accept our circumstances is another miraculous cure. For anything to change or anyone to change, we must first accept others, the circumstance, and ourselves exactly as they are. Then, we need to take it one step further. We need to become grateful for our circumstances or ourselves. We add a touch of faith by saying, "I know this is exactly the way it's supposed to be for the moment."

No matter how complicated we get, the basics never lose their power to restore us to sanity.

Today, Higher Power, help me practice the concept of acceptance in my life. Help me accept others, my circumstances, and myself. Take me one step further, and help me feel grateful.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
To accept our circumstances is another miraculous cure. For anything to change or anyone to change, we must first accept others, the circumstance, and ourselves exactly as they are. Then, we need to take it one step further. We need to become grateful for our circumstances or ourselves. We add a touch of faith by saying, "I know this is exactly the way it's supposed to be for the moment."
I recently read "Making Miracles in 40 Days" by Melody Beattie. As I understood it, the gist of the book is gratitude, but not in the sense most of us are used to thinking of gratitude. It's gratitude not only for the "good" things but for ALL the things, even those that might be pretty hard to feel grateful for. I've been trying to put this idea into action, driving around in my work van and yelling "I'm GRATEFUL for the really nasty bit@h woman at my last stop!" or "I'm GRATEFUL for the slush puddle I just soaked my shoe in!" No miracles yet, but I just got started...

It's a thin little book and a quick read; I'd recommend checking it out if you can. I was able to get it thru my county library system.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I mentioned to my mom how awful this one work project was going, she immediately said in a shocked voice, 'Will you get fired?!'

Which was really funny because a lot of what went wrong was not In my realm of control. Her statement in its ridiculous over-assumption voiced one of MY deep fears and what fuels my perfectionism. And for her to just say that with no faith in MY work ethic and capabilities, no empathy whatsoever, was an ironic moment of 'wonder where all of this perfectionism came from?? Wonder why I don't believe that I will get support from others - probably because my immediate family really has time and time again just NOT been capable of it. My two supervisors have been more kind about this situation than my own mother. They have been kinder to me than I have been to my own self.

And as I spend more months trying to fix a project that I inherited, there is grace and acceptance in that my work ethic and perfectionism will not always save me. And by God it is never going to win me my parents' love either. There's a lesson in all this muck that I am grateful for and that I can see that in the beginning I was not Type A. It was a bit of armor I picked up so things would never be my fault. I was only as worthy as my last report card or capability. But now I see I am just me. Even sitting on the couch doing nothing at all, I am.

In all this mess, I am grateful for the lesson.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks CodeJob. I needed to read your post today. I could relate to it SO much!
Old 02-17-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post today...wow do I need to just accept my situation. I'm not sure about being grateful yet...ha...I'll *work* on it! Progress not perfection.

OTHO- I do recognize that all is as it should be right now, so that is a good start.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you to both honeypig and codejob...wisdom.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

This is an awesome reading and just what I needed today.
Did I ever tell you that you and that sweet little puppy in your avatar rocked?
Whenever I see that little mug on my screen, I know there is some good stuff and some recovery to follow.
Thank you so much for doing service
Old 02-17-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
This is an awesome reading and just what I needed today.
Did I ever tell you that you and that sweet little puppy in your avatar rocked?
Whenever I see that little mug on my screen, I know there is some good stuff and some recovery to follow.
Thank you so much for doing service
You are more than welcome, Carlotta. I greatly appreciated it when you were doing your daily reader posts some time ago. That's actually what gave me the idea to do this.

And as far as my houndie--that is Mr. Ned, the most handsome basset in the known universe. He is 50 pounds of soft, warm cuddlement, but can turn in an instant to--CRAZY BASSET!--tearing thru the house after his black terrier mix "sister." You would never guess he's 12. He is my dearest and my heart...