Things a "normie" wouldn't know.... Part 4

Old 04-05-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Normies don't suture their AH head at 4 am after he fell down drunk getting in bed and hit his head on the bed side cabinet and him not even notice he's hit his head or he'd been sutured.

Normies do not have to drag their naked AH down the stairs during a house fire cos he is too drunk to wake.

Normies do not have to listen to their now exah whining on the phone he has been robbed when in reality all that is missing is the things belonging to his children who now live with me. And following on......

Normies do not have partners who do not notice their children have left the building 4 weeks before.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Bumped for Dandy and the newbies !
Old 04-15-2018, 04:25 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Normies don't know what a relief it is to have an adult addict child in jail...at least they aren't out running and gunning.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Or worse, get out a calculator to figure out how much alcohol is in a can of O Douls so if he drinks 30 has enough time lapsed from swallowing the first one to swallowing the last one exactly how much alcohol has he consumed so is he technically still not drinking as he promised? There ought to be a math story problem on that one.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

A Normie wouldn’t have to plan her way home from work with a stop at the grocery store around 35 bars in her small town navigating the long around each and every bar according to the odds XABF will be there at a certain time. She doesn’t want to see his white pickup parked at a bar because it still breaks her heart. Still she goes crazy any way because there must be 800 white pickups in her small town.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

A normie wouldn't know that an A thinks that it's absolutely normal to pass out on a toilet for 2 hours, and call it 'sleeping'.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

A normie wouldn't have their sister ask at a church picnic if that was soda or something else in my AH stainless cup.
A normie's 4 year old wouldn't say lets get daddy a beer cake for his birthday cause daddy loves beer.
A normie wouldn't have to plan outings before 5pm or go alone because AH is drunk.
A normie quits asking spouse to go to anything because an ice chest will also go.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

A normie doesn't wake up 90 minutes after going to sleep to go downstairs where the A is passed out and turn off the lights so DS doesn't know that mommy is passed out.

A normie doesn't run off to bed every night because the A is succumbing to the onslaught of wine and normie doesn't want another verbal bashing

A normie doesn't wake up every morning to a snoring bed partner who smells like a bottle from the night before
Old 04-16-2018, 08:57 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

This thread always makes me cry..even though some of it makes me laugh first. Ptsd,,, yes, after years, the anxiety remains.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

A normie doesn't spend a huge amount of time (days, weeks, months, & years) searching the internet & here on SR trying to find the answer to the question of Why
Old 05-05-2018, 08:04 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Normies don't wonder "how much has ABF had to drink" at 10 a.m. in the morning.

Normies don't find themselves disliking being around alcohol, even at social events. Even the faint smell of alcohol now turns my stomach.

Normies don't have to explain to their toddler why Daddy is always sleep. My answer is always, "He's just tired" knowing good and well that's not the case.

Normies aren't always asked at family gatherings about where ABF is and having to come up with an excuse every time.

Normies don't constantly hide their keys.

Normies aren't able to distinguish the sound of ABF urinating in the toilet and the sound of him urinating on the floor.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
My emotional baggage

Normies wouldn't be in court at 8:30am for child custody issues and within a split second of seeing their AXH entering 10 minutes late say to themselves, "Hold on tight, we are in a for roller coaster ride!" (Yes he was drunk.......and it all would have been funny if it wasn't so sad)

Normies wouldn't almost give themselves whiplash every time a diesel truck drives by, just in case. (I've gotten rid of most my PTSD but THAT ONE still hangs on.)
Old 05-07-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Normies don’t have to think to hide anything chocolate or biscuits or cakes - not from the kids but from the alcoholic husband that will eat everything including children’s Easter eggs or Christmas chocolate - in one huge munchies binge late at night.

Normies don’t see their husband eat two doughnuts and three scones in one go, (because he’s been drinking beer and not eaten a proper meal all day) and then get told angrily “don’t go on about it!” followed by the silent treatment, all for commenting to a 55 year old man how selfish that was to not save some treats for his own four children.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Took awhile to read through all 4 threads, but a must read! Bump and add:

-Normies wouldnt question putting their A spouse on emergency contact information forms for their children. (What if they actually had to call them!?! Lol)
-Normies wouldnt be masters at transferring funds between bank accounts in 1 minute flat (note: seperate checking a long time ago!) Blessing and curse--it can be used both ways.
-Normies don't automatically look at their small corner markets alcohol shelf and check to see how many bottles of vodka have been purchased today. And wonder who's life is going to be h*ll tonight--yours or someone elses?
^Normies dont fantasize about taking a baseball bat to the entire shelf.
-Normies dont know about librium, ativan, naltrexone, thiamine iv's, banana bags, ....
-Normies think you can only get Hep virally.
-Normies may find themselves somewhat uncomfortable their first time visiting a rehab facility. (I was!) By the fourth center you are numb to the situation and wonder where the coffee pot is so you can make yourself at home when visiting.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I laughed and cried- so many ring true and it hurts my heart.

Normies don't have the house renovated to add another bathroom because AH is frequently passed out on the toilet in the master bathroom and/or there's vomit every where and I refuse to clean it up but the smell is awful.

Normies 7 year olds don't run to get a meter to check daddy's blood sugar because he's acting like their auntie when hers drops suddenly. *sigh* and tells you we need to get one of those dogs like their cousin has to alert when blood sugar is off. (both have type 1)

Normies spouse doesn't yell at them when you say "you told me that last night" and they are adamant that they didn't. (I just listen for the 50th time now)

Normies family don't suggest we cancel the annual family vacation because we're going on a cruise and there's a crap ton of liquor and secretly you hope he falls off the boat. (not really, maybe)

Normies don't secretly change the passcode on the gun safe and steal AH's key off his key ring. (Thankfully, he still hasn't noticed)

Normies don't keep their pain meds in the gun safe to prevent AH from stealing them.

Normies don't cancel the alarm service because they are tired of jumping out of the bed to cancel the alarm before it wakes up the kids, dogs and neighbors and calls the police because AH doesn't bother trying to turn it off.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:16 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4MyBoys View Post
Normies wouldn't be in court at 8:30am for child custody issues and within a split second of seeing their AXH entering 10 minutes late say to themselves, "Hold on tight, we are in a for roller coaster ride!" (Yes he was drunk.......and it all would have been funny if it wasn't so sad)

Normies wouldn't almost give themselves whiplash every time a diesel truck drives by, just in case. (I've gotten rid of most my PTSD but THAT ONE still hangs on.)
That exact thing happened to me last week - my lawyer talked to my ex (which is why I pay him the big bucks, so I don't have to), and told me in his cautious lawyerly way "I believe X is inebriated. He's sweating a lot and he keeps repeating words. I am not sure he actually understands why he is here".
Old 07-05-2018, 10:50 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Normies wouldn't have enough self help books to fill a bookcase hidden under their mattress, trying to figure out what the H is going on and how can I fix that.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:03 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RainingButtons View Post
Normies don’t see their husband eat two doughnuts and three scones in one go, (because he’s been drinking beer and not eaten a proper meal all day)
I can top that: Normies don't come home, fix a meal and have the hungry addict *refuse to eat anything* because the amount of food prepared "wasn't enough."
Old 08-14-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

bump
Old 08-15-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
Good Grief!
I remember going through all of that a year ago. BTW, If you don't want to be married to someone anymore, you don't have to wait until they fall off the wagon to justify leaving. You don't have to answer to anyone but yourself. This one took me a while, but I am forever grateful that it finally sunk in.
Im learning this too right now. The pull to please the other and put your own pleasure second is a reflexive response. I catch myself now and I’m fortunate to surrounded myself with people who help me see the traps when I don’t. Slowly sinking in...