50 Shades of Grey - A Psychiatrist's Letter to Young People

Old 02-13-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

50 Shades of Grey - A Psychiatrist's Letter to Young People

I haven't read the books or seen the movie but have plenty of friends who have and have loved them. Maybe I should read the books just so I can discuss them with my daughters. I just read this article and think it's a good share for all of us here who have been in unhealthy, manipulative relationships. Point number 5 resonated with me.

Here are the article and the link: (Meg Meeker, M.D. » A Psychiatrist?s Letter to Young People about Fifty Shades of Grey

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 11, 2015

There’s nothing gray about Fifty Shades of Grey. It’s all black.

Let me explain.

I help people who are broken inside. Unlike doctors who use x-rays or blood tests to determine why someone’s in pain, the wounds that interest me are hidden. I ask questions, and listen carefully to the answers. That’s how I discover why the person in front of me is “bleeding”.

Years of careful listening have taught me a lot. One thing I’ve learned is that young people are utterly confused about love – finding it and keeping it. They make poor choices, and end up in lots of pain.

I don’t want you to suffer like the people I see in my office, so I’m warning you about a new movie called Fifty Shades of Grey. Even if you don’t see the film, its toxic message is seeping into our culture, and could plant dangerous ideas in your head.

Fifty Shades of Grey is being released for Valentine’s Day, so you’ll think it’s a romance, but don’t fall for it. The movie is actually about a sick, dangerous relationship filled with physical and emotional abuse. It seems glamorous, because the actors are gorgeous, have expensive cars and planes, and Beyonce is singing. You might conclude that Christian and Ana are cool, and that their relationship is acceptable.

Don’t allow yourself to be manipulated! The people behind the movie just want your money; they have no concern whatsoever about you and your dreams.

Abuse is not glamorous or cool. It is never OK, under any circumstances.

This is what you need to know about Fifty Shades of Grey: as a child, Christian Grey was terribly neglected. He is confused about love because he never experienced the real thing. In his mind, love is tangled up with bad feelings like pain and embarrassment. Christian enjoys hurting women in bizarre ways. Anastasia is an immature girl who falls for Christian’s looks and wealth, and foolishly goes along with his desires.

In the real world, this story would end badly, with Christian in jail, and Ana in a shelter – or morgue. Or Christian would continue beating Ana, and she’d stay and suffer. Either way, their lives would most definitely not be a fairy tale. Trust me on this one.

As a doctor, I’m urging you: DON’T see Fifty Shades of Grey. Get informed, learn the facts, and explain to your friends why they shouldn’t see it either.

Here are a few of the dangerous ideas promoted by Fifty Shades of Grey:

1. Girls want guys like Christian who order them around and get rough.

No! A psychologically healthy woman avoids pain. She wants to feel safe, respected and cared for by a man she can trust. She dreams about wedding gowns, not handcuffs.

2. Guys want a girl like Anastasia who is meek and insecure.

Wrong. A psychologically healthy man wants a woman who can stand up for herself. If he is out of line, he wants her to set him straight.

3. Anastasia exercises free choice when she consents to being hurt, so no one can judge her decision.

Flawed logic. Sure, Anastasia had free choice – and she chose poorly. A self-destructive decision is a bad decision.

4. Anastasia makes choices about Christian in a thoughtful and detached manner.

Doubtful. Christian constantly supplies Anastasia with alcohol, impairing her judgment. Also, Anastasia becomes sexually active with Christian – her first experience ever – soon after meeting him. Neuroscience suggests their intimacy could jump start her feelings of attachment and trust, before she’s certain he deserved them. Sex is a powerful experience – particularly the first time.
Finally, Christian manipulates Anastasia into signing an agreement prohibiting her from telling anyone that he is a long time abuser.

Alcohol, sex, manipulation – hardly the ingredients of a thoughtful, detached decision.

5. Christian’s emotional problems are cured by Anastasia’s love.

Only in a movie. In the real world, Christian wouldn’t change to any significant degree. If Anastasia was fulfilled by helping emotionally disturbed people, she should have become a psychiatrist or social worker.

6. It’s good to experiment with sexuality.

Maybe for adults in a healthy, long term, committed, monogamous relationship, AKA “marriage”. Otherwise, you’re at high risk for STDs, pregnancy, and sexual assault. It’s wise to be very careful who you allow to get close to you, physically and emotionally, because just one encounter can throw you off track and change your life forever.

The bottom line: the ideas of Fifty Shades of Grey are dangerous, and can lead to confusion and poor decisions about love. There are vast differences between healthy and unhealthy relationships, but the movie blurs those differences, so you begin to wonder: what’s healthy in a relationship? What’s sick? There are so many shades of grey…I’m not sure.

Listen, it’s your safety and future we’re talking about here. There’s no room for doubt: an intimate relationship that includes violence, consensual or not, is completely unacceptable.

This is black and white. There are no shades of grey here. Not even one.

Miriam Grossman, MD is a medical doctor with training in pediatrics and in the specialty of child, adolescent, and adult psychiatry. She is also the author of Unprotected and You’re Teaching My Child WHAT?

miriamgrossmanmd.com
Old 02-13-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I didn't buy Edward and Bella and that same fatal flaw carried over into 50 chapters skip to the sex... No compelling reason the two characters wind up with one another.

Anyway, this relationship movie looks much more intriguing...

'The Last Five Years' review: Anna Kendrick sings her heart out | NJ.com
Old 02-13-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this. I feel the same way. I've been encouraging people to boycott this toxic movie, theres nothing sexy about it.

Love from Lenina
Old 02-13-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read the first book and liked the sexual ideas but not the book. It read like a 12 year old wrote it. Besides being bad writing and having the male character Christian being able to 'get it up' so many times in a row, which was ridiculous, I am going to see the movie. I didn't read the 2nd and 3rd books cause I refuse to subject myself to bad writing. If they mentioned her biting her lip one more time I was gonna scream, lol.

Why see the movie? Because it is for adults and it is a FANTASY or should be. I wouldn't allow a preteen or high schooler to see it.

I think the person giving the review has a right to their opinion but 'professional' opinion? Come on, it's NOT REAL LIFE. She seems a bit over the top. I think it will be good sexy fun for adults.

Kari

Last edited by DesertEyes; 02-13-2015 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Edited by member's request
Old 02-13-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

The problem with that, Kari, is that this is what women are inundated with on a daily basis. For many, it is real life, or will become real life. No, their partner probably won't be rich, but that doesn't change the fact that abuse is abuse. When we're sending this message that a relationship like this is healthy or even desirable, that's what young women will learn. Glamorizing abuse is NOT ok. Ever.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's what bothers me about it the most--the glamorization of abuse. And that young, already broken girls don't have the capacity to distinguish fantasy from reality. Stories like this become their reality--except for the part where the abuser's emotional problems are cured by the victim's love. I'm glad to know that people are speaking out.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CodeJob View Post
I didn't buy Edward and Bella and that same fatal flaw carried over into 50 chapters skip to the sex... No compelling reason the two characters wind up with one another.

Anyway, this relationship movie looks much more intriguing...

'The Last Five Years' review: Anna Kendrick sings her heart out | NJ.com
I couldn't handle Edward and Bella. I only saw one of the movies and that was enough.

Thanks for the share on 'The Last Five Years'. I'm not usually a movie musical fan, but this one sounds good. Like one I might enjoy seeing with my daughters.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Gentle reminder people, we have children reading this forum. Please keep all posts totally G-rated.

Mike
Moderator, SoberRecovery.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NWGRITS View Post
The problem with that, Kari, is that this is what women are inundated with on a daily basis. For many, it is real life, or will become real life. No, their partner probably won't be rich, but that doesn't change the fact that abuse is abuse. When we're sending this message that a relationship like this is healthy or even desirable, that's what young women will learn. Glamorizing abuse is NOT ok. Ever.
BUT, that is a whole separate issue from a fantasy type book/movie though. The woman character in the book was never forced into anything. She could leave at any time (and did at the end of the first book but I heard she came back in the 2nd). That has NOTHING to do with REAL ABUSE.

It looks like it is going to be a blockbuster according to what I read online so I guess most women see it as fantasy also.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Did you read the book?

Kari
Old 02-13-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just posted this article on my FB.

I agree that it's glamourizing abuse.

Disgusting.

I did read the book, unfortunately. It's not "just a love story" and emotionally, the female character isn't free to leave, that's kind of one of the points.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KariSue View Post
The woman character in the book was never forced into anything. She could leave at any time (and did at the end of the first book but I heard she came back in the 2nd). That has NOTHING to do with REAL ABUSE.
Kari
How many women are 'forced' into abuse? Most I know who were abused were never forced there.

That's what makes this so dangerous. Young already broken souls don't know the difference. Fantasy is fine for those who are healthy enough to handle it.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HealingWillCome View Post
How many women are 'forced' into abuse? Most I know who were abused were never forced there.

That's what makes this so dangerous. Young already broken souls don't know the difference. Fantasy is fine for those who are healthy enough to handle it.
The girl in the book wasn't a broken soul though.

Never mind. Time for me to get out of this thread.

Kari
Old 02-13-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As a girl who hung out with bonifide pick up artists, the idea of being a controlling man over meek women is real! This is for men who want to be peter pans and free from real attachment. And girls are in fact falling for it. As girls we get all sorts of attachment chemicals that are released from sex and it bonds us emotionally to our partners. IMO it is very dangerous to try to be unemotional about sex. I don't believe it for one second that a woman can be so casual. And casual sex is normal, acceptable, and expected among most college aged kids and younger.

To liken it to alcoholism, what if we all just put our foot down and said NO! ? Can you imagine how hard that would make it for these bad behaviors?
Old 02-13-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

This is another article I posted on my FB page. https://www.psychopathfree.com/conte...rs-and-Abusers

Sure, she could just leave at any time. Tell our DV survivors that. Being naive is dangerous.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Prisons don't have to have bars, or locked doors. Being a prisoner is sometimes, a state of mind. Psychological abuse can render a person prisoner.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I didn't read the book and I don't plan on seeing the movie. Just from reading bits about it, it sounds a lot like the movie 9 1/2 Weeks to me. 9 1/2 Weeks, for those of you who haven't seen it, Kim Basinger is pursued and seduced by Mickey Rourke who was also wealthy and good looking and twisted. But the message at the end is about how empty Mickey Rourke's character was. I remember her looking in his closet and there were 20 identical suits hung perfectly. It was a glimpse into the vapid empty soul of a man who thrives on manipulation. I think it showed how she got sucked in but that there was something troubling right below the surface that she kept ignoring. The good thing is that when he begins to push her too far she leaves, and she realizes that it was all about control and manipulation loosely cloaked in sexual situations.

I think anytime the balance of power is skewed in a relationship there is room for harm to be done. The one good thing that may come from 50 Shades is that it might bring the discussion about manipulation in a relationship to more public scrutiny. And I think the timing is right for that.

This past year physical abuse has been in the headlines a lot. I think it is a very pertinent time to start talking about emotional and mental exploitation.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The "book" started its life as Twilight fan fiction and poorly written at that. The movie preview seems to be running in a continuous loop on Hulu. It looks shallow and the acting is bad. Swerve....
Old 02-13-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just googled 50 Shades / 9 and 1/2 weeks…I guess I don't read enough about this stuff, apparently that comp has been made a lot.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I was unfortunate enough to have read all the books. I didn't enjoy them, but it was a train wreck and I kept reading thinking it *had* to get better (I don't know how something so horribly written and just... awful ever got published). It never did. Those are two walks of my life I'll never get back.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If I ever find out some older man is doing any of that crap to one of my daughter's....... IT's gonna be the worst Mistake of his sick little life.