Inpatient facility first?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inpatient facility first?

My brother has been an alcoholic for over 40 years. My mother couldn't bear to see him out on the street so gave him a place to live and drink.

She passed away recently and the house is being sold.

He collapsed recently and was taken to the hospital with a blood alcohol level over 4.0.

He has stopped drinking now for almost a week, with the help of some medication from his family physician. But he is really quite ill. Sometimes not even being able to control his own bowels. He has difficulty walking and uses a walker sometimes and does not have the ability to work backwards. He is also not always cogent.

Family members who you live with him want to put him in an independent living environment in just a few weeks.

I feel he needs to be in a hospital situation. I have read about inpatient alcohol recovery programs. After he gets his help he could move into a sober living environment. He is only 62.

I live two states away so it is difficult for me but I am at the point that I may fly down and take control of this.

I'm hoping someone out there has been through this with a family member and can give me some advice.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry for this situation. First most important question is does he want recovery for himself?
Old 02-08-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

It sounds to me (I'm not a medical professional but I had a partner who went through it) as if he might have some liver damage and/or brain damage. It's hard to say how likely he can recover from those.

Refiner is correct, though, any program is unlikely to succeed unless he seriously WANTS to be sober. They can't just take him into rehab, fix him up, and he'll be well. It's a lot of hard work, and without serious commitment on his part, likely to fail.

This is a very difficult situation for you and your family--I'm sorry.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello sis, Welcome! What an incredibly awful situation!

What did the doctors at the hospital and his own doctor say? Do they think he is actually lucid enough to live on his own? Have they mentioned brain damage or recommended living arrangements?

One resource you might try would be the social worker at the hospital. They frequently have access to information and resources that could be very helpful.

I'm just so sorry! Please let us know how you are doing.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Freddie....it sounds like he need HOSPITAL care, right now. He has only been stopped for a weeK! He doesn't sound stabilized medically, yet.
Hospital social workers can help with the disposition plan if he gets hospitalized.
It is possible that an assisted living place for at least a while might be in order.
One step at a time.....

dandylion