Exercise and Mood

Old 02-08-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exercise and Mood

One of the biggest things I forget to do for myself when I find these unhealthy relationships is to exercise. So, recently I have taken jogging back up. A good friend of mine and I like to do the ColorMeRad 5K every year, so right now I am busy building up my stamina. I managed 17 minutes straight this morning, which I am super stoked about considering I have only been out jogging 3 times in the last 7 days... Last year I did all 3 miles in 30 minutes just trying to keep up with my then 7 year old daughter! She's quick!

Anyway, it's early morning where I live, and it's near the beach, so the air is crisp and clean and cool, and all of the birds were out singing. And all of this negative nonsense that keeps running through my head just stopped. I couldn't stop smiling. Some part of me knows that no matter how much I miss my xabf, that I am going to be okay. I decided to just walk for a while before and after my jog and enjoy the moment, and it was just so nice to be happy and filled with.... well, endorphins? and to not be stuck in my head!
Old 02-08-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sounds like a good habit to keep up! Time alone with your thoughts and nature!?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HMA, I'm a runner who's been sidelined for over a year, between a weird work schedule and various other problems. I've recently begun to realize that I really HAVE to start making a commitment to take care of myself better. I agree that there's a definite connection between exercise/the physical side of things and the mental/emotional side.

My goals are to start running again and to return to a short yoga/meditation practice daily. I keep feeling as if I don't "have time", but then I remember the quote from Gandhi: "I have so much to accomplish today that I must meditate for two hours instead of one."

Thanks for providing a gentle push for me... (I think actually she's supposed to be skating, but it looks enough like running to pass, right?)
Old 02-08-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
That's awesome HMA.

It's a beautiful here as well. You've inspired me to get off my bottom and seize the day.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
HMA, I'm a runner who's been sidelined for over a year, between a weird work schedule and various other problems. I've recently begun to realize that I really HAVE to start making a commitment to take care of myself better. I agree that there's a definite connection between exercise/the physical side of things and the mental/emotional side.

My goals are to start running again and to return to a short yoga/meditation practice daily. I keep feeling as if I don't "have time", but then I remember the quote from Gandhi: "I have so much to accomplish today that I must meditate for two hours instead of one."

Thanks for providing a gentle push for me... (I think actually she's supposed to be skating, but it looks enough like running to pass, right?)

HAHA!! Yeah! She's running! lol...

I love that quote from Gandhi! And meditation seems to be that one thing that I have always felt would be valuable for me to do, and yet, I have never truly added it to my life. Now might be a good place to start!
Old 02-08-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is no doubt in my mind that there are both mental and physical benefits to exercise. Doesn't matter what the mode is just as long as the person derives satisfaction from it.

@HMA: Your daughter is quick and being able to participate with her in healthy activities as you did is both setting a great example and also a lot of fun. My 22 year old daughter is away at college for most of the year, but when she was home for Thanksgiving we ran a five mile race that morning. If she wanted to she could have left me in the dust, but took pity. Good fun that justified extra helpings later in the day. :-)
Old 02-08-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you, because I sure was debating whether to sit on my butt all day and watch Dexter. I went and swam my mile. And got ice cream on the way home!
Old 02-08-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by auroraxborealis View Post
Thank you, because I sure was debating whether to sit on my butt all day and watch Dexter. I went and swam my mile. And got ice cream on the way home!
Totally legit. I went for my walk and then spent the day watching Spartacus (that's enough to get my blood pumping, right?).
It's been a balmy 40 degrees here in exotic Iowa, lol, so I had to take advantage of our fabulous weather.
Something about being outside moving in the winter sunshine is very therapeutic. I know I've been hibernating lately, which has definitely affected my mood.
Thanks HMA. Great thread.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go HMA!!! I'm a runner too and love how running totally clears my mind and the afterwards runner's high also rocks!

I've been doing Tone It Up workouts in the morning and then hitting the treadmill a few days a week too. Unfortunately my daughters are pretty much refusing to ride in the jogging stroller anymore so I'm missing being able to run outside.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awe... so cool everyone! Let me admit that what I woke up to this morning wasn't the best way to start the day. I had a dream where my xabf was being sweet (which he always is, even drunk)... and he kissed my arm. And out loud I said, "I love you ####", and I woke up to the sound of my own voice saying those words.

But last night I went to bed with a plan to get up and get moving! And for me, getting that beautiful jog in early set the whole rest of my day right!
Old 02-09-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good job HMA! I too am a runner, for me, I'm stuck running on the dreaded treadmill for now, as it's winter and icy,bad roads....too cold and not willing to risk an injury from a slip and fall!

Anyhow, like you, I am training to run, but for me it's my 1st ever 1/2 marathon. It's a little overwhelming and scary, but am running it with 5 friends and I know they'll be of great support.

Regardless of what anyone says, I think exercise, whether it's running, walking, swimming, lifting weights, yoga, whatever...is CRUCIAL for our mental well being! It's a great way to take care of US and to clear our minds!! And for me, I've managed to run off some anger, hurt and frustration along the way too!
Old 02-09-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

HMA - I walk at least 2 miles a day in the winter and even more during spring, summer and fall. It is a great way for me to release my anxiety and not focus on other "stuff"......

I highly recommend walking, running, cycling, etc. to anyone
Old 02-09-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Spedteach, a half marathon? Wowzer! Let me future trip for a moment and think on that one! I'm jealous... Someday I'll be there!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Exercise really is an amazing stress relief. I've had problems sleeping ever since I left AXH -- it's gotten a LOT better, but the nights when I work out in the evening, I sleep a lot better than the days I don't.

I always tell people that the time you invest in exercise is time you get back twofold. It sounds counterintuitive to people who don't exercise, but it really gives you more energy.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm a cyclist, but when the weather is bad, I spend time on the treadmill. It doesn't matter what it is -- I HAVE to exercise for my mental health.

In fact, I read this last night while jogging in my basement. HA. Slept like a baby.

I would like to lose weight, but I don't want to try too hard at it. As long as I feel strong and capable, it's good by me.