drinking history and health check-up

Old 02-05-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drinking history and health check-up

an update. had a baby. he's back in school to get his masters degree. he has kind of stopped drinking. by that i mean he still drinks, but nothing like what he used to. generally only 1-2 drinks a few times a week or less. yes i know that's not quit but it's a world away from where he used to be. it's been this way for at least a year now. so now i wonder about the health effects of long-term alcoholism. he has not been to a doctor yet despite my urging. he has found his spirituality blah blah vegetarian diet (don't get me started on that) blah blah. i wonder about how his liver function and brain function (among other things) were affected by the drinking. i read about all the bad stuff that can happen and i know he should go to get a checkup or physical but i guess my question is should the doctor know about his drinking history? i'm pretty sure he won't tell him for fear of stigma or whatever, but maybe there are tests or whatnot that aren't necessarily routine that maybe should be done, given a patient has that history? or would a regular old physical be enough? i have tried to research this with no real luck. does anyone know?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes of course chronic alchohol use will have it's effect on the liver-- but the liver is a BEAUTIFUL organ capable of miraculous healing.
Problem is that every time it HAS to heal from overuse, it leaves scar tissue- which can lead to cirrhosis.

You H doesn't HAVE to mention his alcoholism- even at a regular check up they test liver enzymes- which if elevated- will alert the doc.

Long term damage *should* show on a regular physical. But I'm not a doc- I'm a nurse and I'm not offering professional advice here.

Plus, it's HIS physical--- it has to be HIS choice on what he tells his Doc.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on the baby. .

I don't know the exact answer to your question.

You are way over on his side of the street though. Do you have a program of your own to focus on?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Thumper. Wat SR really works on, is ourselves. We try and focus on our recover from our addiction (the addict).

Are you working a program, going to alanon or open aa meetings. They do help when you can detach from telling the A's what to do. Please try and educate yourself about the disease of alcoholism. Hugs to you!!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

There's nothing you can do where his healthcare is concerned. He has to make these appointments and then he has the freedom to choose what he wants to tell the doctor. And he'll start drinking more again, if he hasn't already. More than likely he's hiding it from you. The only true way to stop the disease progression is to quit drinking completely. Do you have a contingency plan for yourself and that poor innocent child?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on that BABY!!!!! I forgot to say that!!

That kiddo is one lucky to baby to have a momma so concerned about the health of her family!

You just keep up the good work and let your A figure out what he is going to tell the Doc. It's hard for us sometimes to "let go" of that part, I can relate.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awe... idk except that my step dad drank beers practically every day for years and eventually he got liver cancer. It started with pollups (spelling???). One ruptured on day while at work. They were taken care of but more came later. And then finally the cancer diagnosis.

Sadly, he finally quit. Cold turkey. But two years later he lost the battle.

He didn't take good care of himself at all though. Soda, beer, processed junk, Excedrin everyday...

Sorry you're so worried. I would be too. Hopefully he gets himself to the doc!
Old 02-06-2015, 02:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dan187613 View Post
an update. had a baby. he's back in school to get his masters degree. he has kind of stopped drinking. by that i mean he still drinks, but nothing like what he used to. generally only 1-2 drinks a few times a week or less. yes i know that's not quit but it's a world away from where he used to be. it's been this way for at least a year now. so now i wonder about the health effects of long-term alcoholism. he has not been to a doctor yet despite my urging. he has found his spirituality blah blah vegetarian diet (don't get me started on that) blah blah. i wonder about how his liver function and brain function (among other things) were affected by the drinking. i read about all the bad stuff that can happen and i know he should go to get a checkup or physical but i guess my question is should the doctor know about his drinking history? i'm pretty sure he won't tell him for fear of stigma or whatever, but maybe there are tests or whatnot that aren't necessarily routine that maybe should be done, given a patient has that history? or would a regular old physical be enough? i have tried to research this with no real luck. does anyone know?

I could of wrote part of this myself. My AH is still drinking in moderation. Yes he has made changes, he is quite strong at the moment, blah blah like you say BUT that is HIS business.

Concern ,fear and worry about the AH will just drag you down and with a new baby at home you need all the energy you have and have your wits about you.

Congrats on the new baby!

Thumper hit the nail on the head...do you have a program of support system set in place for you?