Emotional Abuse from AH last 4 nights

Old 02-06-2015, 01:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am in a similar situation. But the abuse gets worse. Much much worse. My stbxah's abuse became physical. And after a while there was no honeymoon period, no remorse, no regret. He just thinks I deserved whatever he did. And he made up so many lies about me and about our marriage that I think he believed his lies. His friends, family and children all think I am crazy. That he isn't abusive or an alcoholic. Even though it runs rampant in their family.

This is also my second marriage with children from my first. I would encourage you to swallow your pride and ask your dad. You can handle him saying I told you so better than the verbal abuse you are receiving now. It does get worse and it goes downhill very quickly in my experience. I wish I had gotten out years ago. Take care of yourself and your children. If you stay much longer your boys will think this is the norm and they may grow up to be abusers. Please get out while you can.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the advice...update on the situation...last night it was just me and my AH at home. Our kids go to their other parents' house Thursday nights (I have two kids from previous relationship, he has two kids from previous relationship). He was much easier to be around. He did drink as usual...but for some reason he was in a better mood...he did not pick a fight, or same mean things to me...he just tells me,
"Please, just love me" and "I have been feeling you run away or about to run away from me and I don't deal with that well..." Ugh...why can't it be that way every day? I just want the peace...I guess I am expecting too much for that... I have heard him say and others say..."this is as good as it gets" but which day is that? The easy going drunk AH or the loud and argumentative one? I am going to take one day at a time...sigh
Old 02-06-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sad...I have found that with an alcoholic, the "good" times are not free. One pays for those times by enduring the bad times.
In a healthy or "normal" relationship, no one says: "We had a great time, today....but, you are going to pay for this down the line".
I wish it weren't like that.......

dandylion
Old 02-06-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

"Please, just love me" and "I have been feeling you run away or about to run away from me and I don't deal with that well..."

What a horrible thing to say after all he's put you through. He doesn't love himself. He loves alcohol. He can't love you. He is abusive to you, and then asks for your love. He can hurt you, and then make you feel sorry for HIM!

I'm so sorry you are going through this. So much empathy.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you Firebolt...it's like he is trying to make me feel guilty for pulling away...I think anyone would feel the same as I do...
Old 02-06-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hello Sad,

Call your father Sad. Today. Keep working the Plan B. They often FEEL you detaching so be on ALERT for an escalation.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Alcoholics don't have relationships - they take hostages.

So he says:
"Please, just love me" and "I have been feeling you run away or about to run away from me and I don't deal with that well..."
And your response to that is:

Ugh...why can't it be that way every day? I just want the peace...
What exactly is peacful about manipulation?
Old 02-06-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

atalose: wow, great insight...of course I didn't see it that way...hostages...manipulation...what in the heck did I get myself into??? Just a mess...
Old 02-06-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Dear lovely girl, hear this and make it your own, NOTHING AND I MEAN NOOOOOOOOO THING, coming out of that mans mouth is valid! You are not swallowing your pride, in fact it is pride, bravery, sanity and hope for a bright future that makes us do whatever is needed to protect ourselves and our children. Your A can't lead, won't follow so he needs to be put of your way. I'm not sure what TX law is, but in NY if you drive drunk with a minor in the car, you going away to the big house for a spell. I hope your keeping a dairy for protective services.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

what in the heck did I get myself into???
Nothing that you can't get yourself out of.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Oh wow do I remember! My XAH blamed me for EVERYTHING. He still blames me for stuff that happens now and we are divorced and I won't even be there. He does this drunk or sober. It nearly caused me a nervous breakdown when we were together. Literally that day I went and was set up with a psychiatrist who deals in helping families with addiction (myself, not with my X), and kept attending CR and coming here. Those things helped me build myself enough to know a couple of things.

1. That is not only addiction, it's abuse
2. That no matter the outcome, I would be strong enough to handle it and my children and I would be fine.

Guess what, I have since kicked him out (it was ugly) and my children and I are doing fine. It's up and down, it's not perfect, but we are overall just fine.

Tight hugs. Please don't accept blame that is not yours and don't let anyone make you feel crazy.

XXX
Old 02-06-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

This is NOT your fault. Detach as much as you can. Even though it's hard, when he starts being verbally abusive, go in another room, take the kids out for a walk, leave the house. DO NOT feel forced to sit there and take it! I know that's SO much easier said than done.

Do you enable him? If so, stop and let him deal with the natural consequences of his behavior.

I'd say my RAH was verbally abusive, not quite to the point yours appears to be, but he said and did a number on my self esteem and self image. I got into therapy with an addiction expert and I started attending Alanon...both have been enormously helpful for me. Don't get me wrong, things aren't perfect and we have our issues, but I am getting much better, more happy and am taking care of ME and my son every day... you can do it, it's just those first hard steps!!

Keep your chin up and don't believe a word of that bs he says!!!!
Old 02-06-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by SadInTX View Post
Van Halen: Yes, my father has the resources to help out. I am just ashamed at this point...I ended the relationship my kids' father 3 years ago...after trying for 12 years...with similar issues...I just don't want to hear "I told you so". But, I have to swallow my pride and call him. It is not for me, it's for my boys.
Call me ZoSo. While I love Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page is my guy.

What you will come to understand going forward is when we care about someone, we're susceptible to making decisions that aren't in our best interest. Sometimes, the heart overrules the head. And rest assured, no one hits 1000 when it comes to making decisions, not even your dad. So don't be afraid to ask for help. Do what you need to do for yourself and for your kids.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Update: Friday he did NOT drink...couldn't believe it..but he was not easy to be around...very moody, said he was not happy and didn't feel good...Saturday night he did drink but wasn't so bad...last night he drank and it was not good...verbally/emotionally abusive...saying I am the one that that is difficult to deal with...I am too emotional..too heady...says I am the one that needs to see a therapist every week or we are done...on and on and on....I was so upset and exhausted that I did something I don't normally do..I yelled back...I felt like I was stooping to his level...our kids were not home so they didn't witness or hear any of this...I am so tired today..he tried to patch things up but the damage once again has been done.
I love him, but don't know what to do. he said that he was going to lay back on the drinking...he even agreed to go see a therapist...just not sure if he will actually do it...we had a great day yesterday...went bike riding, had a picnic...but then as soon as he started drinking it was ugly again. I realize now that I have to own my part in it..I enabled him to drink (we stopped by a restaurant after picnic)....
I actually looked at two apartments on Saturday while he was visiting his brother...but I still don't know what to do...why am I on the fence and when will I know what decision to make?
Old 02-09-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Sad, how does going to a restaurant enable him to drink? It is his choice. One of the restaurants by my house with the best food is a bar - and my RAH happily heads there with me and instead of drinking he eats dessert now. It has nothing to do with YOU. That one is on HIM.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I had a drink too...and all last week I did not have any alcohol because I was so afraid of how much he was going to drink etc...it is exhausting...thanks for the encouraging words...
Old 02-09-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, Sad. As far as your drinking...it doesn't sound like you turn into an abusive ahole from it, so....I say have a drink here and there.

I went almost 2 years not drinking trying to prove a point to ABF - normal drinkers can go without drinking and he cannot. There was no point taken, and I found myself angry that I was depriving myself to "show" this to a blind man in that regards. I enjoy a drink or 2 whenever the hell I want to now.

Should ABF ever come to me saying he wants to get sober and he would appreciate me not drinking around him, I'd support him in that way at the drop of a hat.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

sad, long ago you stopped having a relationship with HIM and now you have a relationship with his drinking....with alcohol.....and you crave those few brief moments when he is NOT drinking and is not abusive....or IS drinking but hasn't turned mean yet.

that is not love. but living with alcoholism and abuse leaves us settling for teeny tiny crumbs and calling them cake.

mean drunks just get meaner over time. you are in a delicate fragile place right now because you cannot determine with 100% certainty what he will do if you start to stand up for yourself, develop boundaries, detach and leave him to his own devices. that concerns me. mean words can turn to arm grabs in a nanosecond. so please first and foremost think SAFETY.

but see him for what he is. not what you hope or believe is "hiding in there somewhere". that's like reaching your hand into a rattler's den cuz you saw a bunny go down the hole and hoping not to get bit........
Old 02-09-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

SadInTexas....I'm just grabbing here...but, I'll bet that y ou are so afraid that y ou will never find someone else that you can have the kind of feelings of connectedness or security as when he is being in the "good times".

.....?

dandylion
Old 02-09-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

dandylion: yes, this is correct...plus, I am afraid to make another change for my kids...AH kicked me out after Christmas 2013 while I was going through custody battle for my kids (their dad is not my AH). Moved out but moved back in 6 months later...I won my custody battle, but since then the drinking and fighting has gotten worse...and he blames me...says that I can't live with boring..says I have to have the drama...not the case...I got rid of my kids' father because of the drama he put me through for 12 years... I know he says all of this out of FEAR...fear of what his life would be like if I left...