Alcoholism and divorce

Old 02-02-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and divorce

Truly, in my heart of hearts, I know my husband-and I know the love was real. I think that's why it hurts so damn much. I'm dealing with the fallout with the kids-the oldest is having a rough time. My husband quit drinking for a few weeks then started right back up again. Which means it's time to say goodbye as the denial, abuse, lies, manipulation, etc are back in charge and steering the ship-and all the abuse of defended and justified in his mind. His choice to continue drinking has cost him his family-a wife he once adored that he now hates-and children that don't understand why dad doesn't see them. All to keep drinking. Breaking the generational curse of alcoholism and denial (mine and his) is the most painful thing I've ever experienced. Divorce is soon and I'm just so sad-a sadness I've never felt before. He's the only person I've ever truly loved, truth be told. I wanted to spend my life with him, HIM. The ripple effects of alcoholism are not something I wish on anyone-excrutiating to see what has unfolded. My husband is an alcohilic and we are getting divorced because despite everything, he still drinks. How very sad. I know seeds were planted, and I trust God to water them in His time.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dear Forourgirls
You have an instant support network here of people, myself included, who understand perfectly what you are going through.
It occurred to me over the weekend that my mate goes out of his way to be hateful. He only calls to complain about something or otherwise beat me up. I can hold my head high, however, that I have been consistently loving to him.
They really want to be alone, you know, with their substance. They will say and do things to drive us away.
Keep coming back, and be glad you are doing things to help yourself and your kids.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stay warm in the mitten state!

I will pray your tough choices will help your girls break the cycle.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

F- I am so sorry about the pain you are feeling. There is a lot of us here that have had to leave our A partner. It hurts and hurts bad.

You have to follow with your threat, he continues to drink and you leave. There is a saying here; if you leave and he gets sober good for you..... if you leave and he doesn't hurt sober good for you..

I just divorced my a after 34 years together, 26 married. Hardest thing I have ever done. Was it helpING him or me by enabling him to keep drinking, no it wasnt. I had to get off the raging river before I went down with him.

You re not alone, we are here for you. Stay tough and do as you threatened, it will In time get better.

((((((((((((Hugs my friend))))))))))))
Old 02-02-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Ditto, Fourourgirls. I just signed my divorce agreement this past week.

Not fun, but necessary. Time to start looking to the future. That doesn't mean we don't value and treasure the love that we had. It just means we have to value and treasure ourselves too.

(((((( Hugs )))))) to you my friend.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So sorry for your pain. ((((Hugs))))
Old 02-03-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So sorry you are sad pointless loss of what could have been if only...and maybe that's what hurts most? Got my appt with the divorce solicitor booked feeling better for it trying my best not to look backwards as not traveling in that direction be brave hugs x