Time with hubby

Old 02-02-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time with hubby

I originally wanted to snicker that my husband thought he was going to a mens retreat that would tackle addiction. He seemed a little disappointed that it wasn't quite what he thought; and me, well, in my mind he was doing whatever to circle and not tackle his addiction. Shame on me.

He was surprised and I am surprised. From thrusday night to sunday morning, he met some great guys that are either struggling with addiction or have been sober for a long time. They have invited him to join their group that meets a few times a week (AA) and one has offered to be his sponsor while another has said he will check in on him regularly to keep him accountable (a former drug and alcohol addict as well). My husband seemed so excited about his new friends, the understanding he received from them, the same belief system, etc., and that his weekend wasn't a loss tackling this. He thanked me for coming to the family gathering on Sunday and took me around to meet all of his new friends. He came back fresh headed and energetic. I pray he can beat this because for the first time I can see that he wants it, not just me and the boys. I actually felt love for him last night. Cant say that I've felt that genuinely in a long time. He watched the superbowl game with me here at the house with the boys and I actually didn't want him to leave, but he went back to his hotel room. He isn't ready to talk about living arrangements just yet and really I didn't want to either - I didn't want to ruin the good time talking about that. But, his new energy gave me energy so I deep cleaned my bathroom. I know it's nothing to get my hopes up about so I'm still getting the plumbing replaced at my grandmothers tomorrow. But dang, it was nice to see the real him.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's great that it did end up being a weekend to help him. Good news.

XXX
Old 02-02-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's wonderful, Katchie! Enjoy the moment and I hope the moment turns into some great momentum! Did you end up writing a "love letter" to be read at the retreat?
Old 02-02-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Refiner View Post
That's wonderful, Katchie! Enjoy the moment and I hope the moment turns into some great momentum! Did you end up writing a "love letter" to be read at the retreat?
I did and so did the boys. He really appreciated them and had no idea he would be getting them. From the way he told me about them, it was a pretty emotional moment when he read them. My eldest did end up writing a 2 page letter and emailed it to me in time for it to be included.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad for you Katchie--I really hope he can turn it around.

It is possible you know--I did it, and I was pretty hard core
Old 02-02-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for that Hawkeye. I've been very afraid to hope. Its like it would be better to not feel so I can protect myself. But that doesnt always work out so well.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Yes it is possible . I did it too, I was on the lighter side quantity wise but I was very suicidal when I drank and mentally it was awful. The key ingredient is that you have to want it and you have to work it.
The fact that he already has a spirituality will be a big plus for him (lots of newbies struggle with the steps because of the God thing).
I have not gone to a retreat in a long time but they are really great and energizing. I m glad he enjoyed it, made new friends and got himself a sponsor.
Now that was my comment about his side of the street
You sound in a good mood but remember not to tie up your hopes and happiness to his. Keep the focus on Katchie whether he is doing good or not and stay away from his rollercoaster
Old 02-02-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So glad this all worked out and praying that he can stay on track.

One day at a time my friend!