Changing locks at an apartment

Old 02-03-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Lexi and NYCDog - I really appreciate you looking at things from all sides. SR is such a tremendous resource! Thank you so much.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Unless you have reason to believe he would have a VIOLENT reaction, I'd just tell him he has to move out. Immediately. If he gets sloppy begging to stay, you can tell him you will revisit the whole separation idea when and if you've seen some real, sustained change.

Again, as long as you don't anticipate a VIOLENT response, having him simply move out involves much less drama and hard feelings.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Unless you have reason to believe he would have a VIOLENT reaction, I'd just tell him he has to move out. Immediately. If he gets sloppy begging to stay, you can tell him you will revisit the whole separation idea when and if you've seen some real, sustained change.

Again, as long as you don't anticipate a VIOLENT response, having him simply move out involves much less drama and hard feelings.
No, I wouldn't anticipate a violent reaction -- never had issues with that in the past. He's a big softy. But also super sick with addiction. :-(

Sometimes his sweetness is what makes me wanna curl up in his arms again, but I've been restraining myself. He's just not well. And even when we seem like we're starting to have a moment of connection and a sane conversation, he says or does something that reminds me I'm not dealing with a healthy human being. So I back away physically and emotionally. That whole detaching with love piece has been huge. Detaching, got it. With love? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

But back to the moving out thing -- I'm glad this whole part of the conversation came up so I can be thinking ahead to what I would do if we get to the point of him moving out. Thanks again.