Trust Issues

Old 01-30-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trust Issues

I am doing an emotional detox from the trust issues I have suffered as a result of being betrayed abandoned cheated on lied to etc so that I have control of my life and not others. I've discovered there is a great deal of pain in me and it hurts so much to face it. Does anyone have any advice on how to feel the pain to release it without spiralling into depression - it's very painful. Has anyone come out the other side of facing their trust issues.. Did they lose anything in the process.. I feel a sense of fear overwhelm me as I begin to take on this giant. I feel like this is a big weight keeping me stuck in negative patterns and my past and isn't serving me anymore and something I finally have to deal with.. But I feel so alone in this situation and like I am on my own to face it.. I wish I had someone who loves me to hold my hand and tell me their there for me but there's no one strong enough to save me from myself. I want to let it go but fear being set free from It, I feel like I will lose all the good things I have found since being on my program.. I just can't recognise who I really am in this state... It's ten times harder for me as I am a single parent to a toddler and feel awful because he doesn't deserve to be around a mother who is constantly depressed dealing with her emotions.. I want to be happy around him not sad crying on the couch all the time.. Any advice would help..
Old 01-30-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't made it to the other side of my trust issues, yet, but I know how painful it can be to be betrayed, lied to, etc. It can really erode at our self-worth. I even found myself feeling crazy at times like WTH is going on!? How is this happening to me!? Ugh.

So I can really understand your desire to get through it and come out on the other side.

I just started to going to Al-Anon again last month. It's helping! I don't know that it's helping with trust issues because I still don't trust my AH. He's just not a trustworthy person right now. But maybe letting other people "in" involves first reconnecting with myself and showing my inner child or hurt part of myself that I am there for her and she can trust me to take care of her/us.

I think for me, it's going to be rebuilt from the inside out. I need to be honoring myself and listening to myself A LOT more. Not sure what the future will hold for me in terms of trusting my husband, but in the moment, working on self-trust in whatever ways I can feels right to me.

Thank you for sharing your situation and feelings. <3
Old 01-30-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks to Alanon and cognitive therapy I saw that picking an alcoholic and focusing on his disease was a way of avoiding the low self-esteem and problems I've been carrying around my whole life. I recommend both. And see recovery as "one day at a time".
Old 01-30-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know you have no problem with the God stuff so get into Al-anon, get a sponsor and work the steps.

The trust issues will work themselves out as you get a spiritual awakening and after that, you'll spot trouble a mile off.

Trustworthy guys will all of a sudden stand out like they are wearing flouro clothes.

No more bad boys, no more trust issues (well, a minimal amount that are easily dealt with)