Challenging myself this week

Old 01-19-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Challenging myself this week

Pardon my excitement, I've just finished a 3-day detox/cleanse & am feeling GREAT today. I'm focusing very much on the positive.

So, in respect to that I'm challenging myself this week. To get out of my own shoes for moments in time & create a positive ripple that will spread, with intent. My immediate thoughts (but I welcome all new ideas):

1. Text or email 3 contacts from my address book out of the blue & just tell them something super positive about themselves & how I appreciate them in my life.

2. Actively look for opportunities to Pay it Forward in some small ways, helping someone with their cart at the store, dropping a quarter in an expired meter, whatever. I do this stuff for the most part, but if I widen my perspective I may find even better ways.

3. Look myself in the eye (mirror) every morning this week & tell myself 3 things I like about Me. I don't care if I only come up with 3 things total & repeat them every day. Self-love = self-care = it has to start inside for me to spread it around, right?

4. Donate supplies to the local pet shelter.

5. Donate some time at my healing center because sometimes by *just* listening, we help others more than we realize. And I have found that when people are hurting from dysfunction, no matter the source, so much of what I have learned in recovery & here at SR applies. The details may change but what works for us works for people hurting from other issues. I've been as blown away by the sharing & caring at this center as I have here at SR.

6. Find at least one new activity I want to try & SIGN UP.

Thoughts?
Old 01-19-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, my thought is that you are just awesome and very inspiring! I think I will take a good luck at myself this week too!

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! XXX
Old 01-19-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is awesome. I'm not quite there for myself, but you are inspiring.

My list today is quite different and quite self centered. I hope my list will change when other things are in order to add helping others. I guess I could look at my list as contributing help to others with my dollars for their service at my possible new residence such as: calling pest control to spray for icky bugs, calling the plumber so that i might have working pipes. In general, just getting the old rusty ball rolling.

I like your list MUCH better!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think this is awesome.

I do a lot of what you have mentioned as well except I have no alliance with a pet shelter. Lol!

Great job Firespite! Great energy and positivity! I find that when we engulf ourselves in our own self work it just is so rewarding and helps us out of the rut we once found ourselves in. It opens up the possibilities in our lives!

This thread is a welcome change of pace! Thank You for the inspiration!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks! I texted one person already this morning & it's funny how people just aren't USED to receiving positive stuff. The reaction was wary, like, "uh... ok? You ok?" It took a couple of texts back & forth to express "Yes, out of nowhere, I just love you & appreciate you".

I'm also thinking that this may help me keep my focus on my side of the street. RAH is still dealing with his recent breakthroughs & I'm happy for him, but in some ways it's been like early recovery all over again, lol. A shift in focus will help.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Thanks! I texted one person already this morning & it's funny how people just aren't USED to receiving positive stuff. The reaction was wary, like, "uh... ok? You ok?" It took a couple of texts back & forth to express "Yes, out of nowhere, I just love you & appreciate you".

I'm also thinking that this may help me keep my focus on my side of the street. RAH is still dealing with his recent breakthroughs & I'm happy for him, but in some ways it's been like early recovery all over again, lol. A shift in focus will help.
This just puts a heartwarming smile right across my face! This world needs more of this out of each other!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are awesome, FS!
Old 01-19-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Pardon my excitement, I've just finished a 3-day detox/cleanse & am feeling GREAT today. I'm focusing very much on the positive.

So, in respect to that I'm challenging myself this week. To get out of my own shoes for moments in time & create a positive ripple that will spread, with intent. My immediate thoughts (but I welcome all new ideas):

1. Text or email 3 contacts from my address book out of the blue & just tell them something super positive about themselves & how I appreciate them in my life.

2. Actively look for opportunities to Pay it Forward in some small ways, helping someone with their cart at the store, dropping a quarter in an expired meter, whatever. I do this stuff for the most part, but if I widen my perspective I may find even better ways.

3. Look myself in the eye (mirror) every morning this week & tell myself 3 things I like about Me. I don't care if I only come up with 3 things total & repeat them every day. Self-love = self-care = it has to start inside for me to spread it around, right?

4. Donate supplies to the local pet shelter.

5. Donate some time at my healing center because sometimes by *just* listening, we help others more than we realize. And I have found that when people are hurting from dysfunction, no matter the source, so much of what I have learned in recovery & here at SR applies. The details may change but what works for us works for people hurting from other issues. I've been as blown away by the sharing & caring at this center as I have here at SR.

6. Find at least one new activity I want to try & SIGN UP.

Thoughts?
I LOVE all of them but #2 is Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!! (LOL) I have done this sooooo many times and it really does make you feel good!
Old 01-19-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I second what triggers says about #2. I myself try to give some random stranger a compliment every chance I can. You don't know what they may be going through, and it just might change their perspective in a positive way. You are WONDERFUL!!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I tried to respond to this thread and it got lost!

1) I like the anticipation of a party or a trip. I volunteered to host a party for a group I'm in in February, to give myself and my kids (and friends!) something to look forward to. I just peeked at the guest list and it's about 40+ people (send help!). But I'm really excited.

A couple of years ago, I threw a huge Thanksgiving potluck at my place. We packed 60+ people in my tiny house, kids, families, food, dancing, and it was so much fun. Since I split with my XAH, I have hosted 4-5 pretty major family-friendly gatherings and have gained the reputation of being a fun host. It's something I always wanted to do when I was married that fell by the wayside while XAH's disease progressed. Today I'm the direct opposite of isolated.

1a) I'm also daydreaming about possible trips this year, particularly with the kids. Camping is always really high on my list.

2) I'm trying to learn how to run. I got pretty efficient with the bike over the last year, but running was never my friend. I have an old treadmill in the basement, so I've been taking a shot at it in the evenings to Breaking Bad reruns. Last night I ran 20 minutes without walking. It was SLOW, but I did it.

I'm overweight, but pretty healthy and like to exercise, so this is something I really want to work on. It's not just about losing weight, but about having body confidence and putting myself out there.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am a pretty outgoing guy in a public setting. My little slice of heaven is the elderly. Single, couple, groups, I don't care. I gush over them. It makes them feel special and I love watching them light up. They are SO appreciative that we don't act like they don't exist. Sometimes I have to listen to 6 hours of "This is my Life", but its still worth it.

I am currently in love with Hank ad Mamie. He is 95 and she is ( I don't know). They are in as much love now as they were 70 years ago when they met. They both beam when they say "And we still manage to make love to one another once a month."....followed by school kid giggles and blushing.

I want to adopt them.....lol.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love the idea of trip planning! I love helping people plan Disney trips since we've been there 50+ times, and my sister just bought all the kids annual passes to Busch Gardens so I can certainly help her outline their first few trips & what to expect. (Kids ages range 2-15, so lots of different things to consider)

I DO love a good party but don't really have it in me to do anything as large as 40+ at this point.... but maybe I'll do an official Girls Night for my friends on the next Saturday night RAH has his biker-night meetings. (IDK what they officially call this run, but one Sat per month they meet on their motorcycles around 6 pm & ride from meeting to meeting around the county all night, well into the evening.) I've got a couple of awesome sounding recipes I'm dying to try & my sister is a great cook.

Hangn, I have 2 elderly client couples just like you describe & they make my world. One couple is in their 90's & I call them elves because they are so tiny with age but so spry of mind & wit. This all reminds me I can use this pay it forward intention at work A LOT because my boss love-love-loves over-the-top client services. I think I'll round up a list tomorrow of everyone who has had surgery in the last 6 months & start dialing them up to see how they are doing, if they need anything that we can help with.

Thanks all!
Old 01-19-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My thoughts?

You are an amazing person and I appreciate your friendship more than you'll ever know.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You just radiate positivity, FS! It's coming at me through my screen and I LOVE it!!

P.S. I'm doing my first ever cleanse and it's kind of doing…nothing to me so far (this might be because I already eat a vegan & clean diet so there's not much to clean out to begin with). I'm hoping at the end of it I'm feeling awesome like you!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I ran three miles yesterday. I won't tell you how long it took -- that part is embarrassing.

But I slept like a bear and woke up feeling like one million dollars.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

WAY TO GO FLO! I am not a runner but I power walk like a mad woman.

Reader - ditto, ditto, ditto!! You have talked me out of a tree more times than you realize, good luck with Day #1 of your cleanse today!

Stung - I'm not surprised that you aren't feeling too differently. I'll guarantee you lead an overall healthier lifestyle between eating vegan & not having my sugar addiction. That said, many of my breakthroughs during fasting have been emotional, not physical so don't be surprised if, around day #3, you start having some great AHA moments. We have a thread in the fitness forum about this & in addition to the recent thread we're using, I have an older one journaling my last experience.

Yesterday I finished all 3 texts - the 3rd was to my niece & *I* cried when I sent it because I realized I don't tell her often enough how awesome I think she is, it felt great to put it into words that she can lock & save on her phone & read anytime she feels low.

DD also informed me yesterday that nothing would make her happier than to live in a musical for the day.... so we did. We sang everything making up spoofs & silly rhymes. She is a musical theatre nut & we just saw both Annie & Into the Woods over the holidays so she's really inspired right now, lol.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knowthetriggers View Post
I LOVE all of them but #2 is Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!! (LOL) I have done this sooooo many times and it really does make you feel good!
I thought you would appreciate this story:

Last night we had errands after school/work, which makes for a very difficult evening - commute, pick up DD, go to store, stop at library, cook dinner, homework, etc.... but it's a known price to pay when we chose to not leave the house during the entire long weekend.

3x at the grocery store I watched DD stop, pick up something someone else had dropped & place it back on the appropriate shelf without missing a beat or pausing her talk. Second nature for her, she knows nothing of this self-challenge I have going on, but since I'm paying extra attention I notice her actions more specifically.

In the parking lot, we're rushing, it's late, we're hungry & still have stops to make. I'm arranging bags in my van, DD runs the empty cart back to leave it with a small herd of other abandoned carts, but as she gets back, closer to the van she quietly says, "Well, that's not right!"

"Look - I thought that was a return area but it's not, people have just dumped all those carts in a handicapped spot, I can see the sign now that I'm standing back here. Why should a handicapped person have to get out of their car & move a bunch of carts just to park? CAN a handicapped person even move a bunch of carts?"

So we locked up our stuff & spent a few extra minutes clearing those parking spots & I felt SO PROUD of my daughter; I think empathy is her Super Power.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

We have a thread in the fitness forum about this & in addition to the recent thread we're using, I have an older one journaling my last experience.
Wait a second, there is a fitness forum? On this site?

Also, full disclosure, I'm modified vegan, I eat meat at most meals just not any animal by products (dairy, eggs, etc.) and this is entirely because of DD1's food allergies. I would love a cheese pizza and a few slices of cheesecake and a glass of hot chocolate made with whole cow's milk. Noms. But I just don't keep that stuff in the house (cross contamination) and I have to pretty much make all of DD1's from scratch since almost everything has something that will make her react. The result is a very healthy, very clean family diet. And very budget friendly too since we very rarely eat out. It's the silver lining to having a kid with food allergies.