How to Deal

Old 08-09-2004, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to Deal

This is my first time ever using anything like this message board,but I thought it would help me deal with my husbadn and his alcohol problem. I tried a therapist and that really creped me out and she focused more on my childhood than the real probloem which is how to cope with my husbands alcohol problem. He has been sober for almost 6 months now,and he attends AA and goes to a therapist. So if anyone else is in a simlar situation I wouldn't mind hearing some advice on what to do. I just have the geratest fear he will oen day just drink again and I don't want that to ever happen and it always makes me worried that something will just make him drink and I might not even know, Because a lot of times before I never knew he had been drinking, He hid it from me. So I am open to everyones advice.
Thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome aboard sprinklin

as you will see on these boards, there is a lot of information shared, but i think the one thing you will hear over and over is, go find an al-anon meeting to attend. i am fairly new to this forum but started going to al-anon and found this site at about the same time.

if your therapist is not helping you - find another if you can. you deserve to have someone you are comfortable with.

come back often - lots of wonderful folks here that will "listen" and support you!

hugs - cwohio
Old 08-09-2004, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hi sprinklin,
There are no guarantees that an alcoholic will not drink again. Al-Anon has taught me that I don't have to live my life worried and afraid. Many bad things COULD happen. I could get run over by a bus tomorrow. But I don't obsess on that. I obsess on someone else. I worry how what they are doing is going to affect me. I get scared. I can't let it go. I think that I need to make them do things my way.
Al-Anon has given me tools to help me learn to heal and learn to care for me. It has allowed me to let go of obsessive thinking, fear of the future, shame from the past. I can live today to it's fullest. I owe that to Al-Anon. I couldn't find that by myself. I needed people who had been through the same situations, and knew how to recover. It's really worth checking out some meetings in your area. Many are close to AA meetings. hugs, Magic
Old 08-09-2004, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. I have a real problem with talking to strangers. I get all freaked out about talking to them about how I feel and such and that is why I started here because I can type my problems an concerns just fine. So I am hoping I can talk here and then get comfortable enough to go to one of those meetings.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hey sprinklin,
Of course you can come here to share, and learn. One thing about Al-Anon meetings, you can share or just listen. There are no musts in Al-Anon. When you visit, you are encouraged to participate as you are comfortable. Anything new is going to be uncomfortable, and Al-Anon recognizes that. The thing about f2f meetings for me was the people I have met have become a great source of support. I tend to isolate with my problems. I tried to handle them on my own for many years. I got to the point where I had pushed the world away. It only made things worse. I pray that you will have the courage soon to walk into a f2f meeting. You will be able to in time. It is a wonderful source of recovery. Hugs, Magic