OT- but scary for me

Old 01-12-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT- but scary for me

I found out today that I will be needing a hysterectomy. I just hate surgery. I don't care how minor it is, I hate general anesthesia.

Plus with AH, school, the kids, and wait did I mention school....it just seems so overwhelming right now. And even with the hysterectomy, it may not even solve my problem. I'm sure I'll be ok...but at 32 I just didn't want to have to lose that part of my body yet. I've heard that once it's out, you can actually *feel* your other organs moving around. That is a little unnerving. I have to do it soon though, no other choice.

I don't know how supportive AH is going to be. Last time I spoke with him about getting it done due to all my pain, he said I wouldn't be a woman and he didn't want a wife with facial hair. What a jerkwad.

First day of school was today. I have that horrible math class to conquer, my pathophysiology class HAS to be passed with a B, AH will be home in a week, and I'm sort of feeling like having a meltdown. Oh yeah and my bloodhound puppy got my wallet and chewed up everything. Oh yeah and I didn't get to make my alanon meeting today. I feel like crap today.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ok--I had a hyst over 10 years ago--it was the best thing ever!! I've never felt ANY other organs "moving around,"--LOL!! Have it done vaginally--the pain is minimal and recovery is fast.

As to your AH--well, I guess I'd just tell him bye bye--and then call your sister over to help you recover!!

Sending good thoughts to you--don't over-do things or take on too much.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My general suggestion, having gone through both childbirth and surgery with an AH in the house, is to set up a support system so that you don't have to rely on him. Have no expectations that he will help in any way; that way, you won't get disappointed.

And make sure you know both expected recovery time and limitations. I know my coworker who had a hysterectomy was not allowed to drive for a long time, and couldn't lift anything over a certain weight -- which meant she couldn't go grocery shopping or lift her dog into her car.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good grief. I don't say this much to people, but your AH is the biggest a$$hole ever. YOU WONT BE A WOMAN AND YOU WILL GROW FACIAL HAIR????!!!! Holy cow, I would love to smack the $hit out of him for all the hurt he has, and still does, cause you.

Ok, now that I have said that, let me say that I know lots of people who have had this done. My sister just recently. I am happy to report NONE of them have facial hair. And NONE of them have reported anything moving around inside of them.

Breathe. They do this procedure all the time. You are no more or no less of a woman because of this. You are a woman because of who you are inside your heart. The operation is relatively simple, even when there are complications. I hope this solves your health problems. At least you won't have to have aunt flow anymore!

We are here with you. Take this a step at a time and don't get overwhelmed with the big picture.

Tight, tight hugs!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freetosmile View Post
What a jerkwad.
Okay - this made me giggle. Take it One Day at a Time - it will all work out
Old 01-13-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Agreeing with Sitofit here. Best thing I ever did and no, I don't feel my other organs moving all over the place. I've never heard that one before. I had adenomyosis and the pain was indescribable. The surgery stopped all that pain and it was extensive. So happy to have had it done.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My therapist at the VA had a hysterectomy last summer. Her physical appearance has not really changed, except that she looks more rested because she is no longer experiencing chronic pain.
Maybe consider a husband-ectomy while you're at it. Neither of my exes ever showed any concern for me when I was sick or recuperating from surgery or childbirth. It would have been easier on me if I hadn't been counting on their support.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My mom had to have this done relatively early in life too, but they only took her uterus so it wasn't as hormonally dramatic as if her ovaries, etc. had been removed. She never regretted it because it solved her problems & she was ready for the relief. (((((HUGS))))) I also agree with hopeful, what a !
Old 01-13-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Maybe consider a husband-ectomy while you're at it.
Sorry. I giggled.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

freetosmile....I worked for several years i n a woman's hospital, in surgery, as a PA.
There is so much misinformation among the general population about hysterectomies.
Most of them are just old wives' tales that have been handed around until they become urban legends.
Talking to patients before surgery showed lot and lots of fears about the aftereffects and particularly related to their femininity and self image. Then, a few weeks post-op...most all were delighted to find out that there was no way to know that they had had a hysterectomy---and, that their partner couldn't tell, either!!!

A hysterectomy is just the removal of the uterus...not the ovaries. So, hormonally, there is no change, as a result of the surgery.

I understand about your concerns about general anesthesia--but, I wold expect that you will get a meeting with an anesthesiologist prior to the surgery. That is of enormous help for reassuring you.
I can tell you that everybody is pretty nervous before the procedure---but, I did not see even one person not make it through the procedure just fine....in the years that I worked there.

If you are having it for the usual reasons that I suspect---most people are so happy with the improved quality of life.

dandylion
Old 01-13-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

huband-ectomy!! ha ha ha! Love it.

Believe me, I was stunned when I heard his response. But whatever...

I know my grandma will come down. Talked to her yesterday, so I have that.

I won't be counting on AH. My grandma was the one who told me she could feel her other organs moving around- she had one done many moons ago.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure it will all work out for the better. It would be nice to not feel like I'm hemorrhaging to death every month and the god awful pain. So, I'm just going to suck it up and get it done. UGH!!!! But I would like to do it before summer, I don't want to be sitting around when the weather is nice. Rather do that in the winter!