SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Life after Rehab (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/356042-life-after-rehab.html)

jpenny 01-09-2015 10:08 AM

Life after Rehab

So my husband came home from Rehab on Tuesday and we are taking it one day at time. The kids are happy to have him home and we have both been to meetings. He has been everyday. I went to my 1st alanon meeting and it was a great help, just to let out pent up emotions! I know we have a long road ahead of us and I am going to continue working on me and my ability to give up control over his recovery.
He is really positive about his recovery and got a sponsor already. He went back to work straight away which I think is good to keep busy and he has a good job that he needed to get back to. Luckily this is not his stressful time of year at work... we will cross that bridge when we get to it!
Well just wanted to check in here, thanks for listening!

CodeJob 01-09-2015 10:45 AM

Sounds good JPenny,

Glad he had a job to return to. Hopefully he'll ease in and have more tools to deal with the stressful time when it rolls around.

freetosmile 01-09-2015 11:14 AM

That is fantastic! Gives me a little ray of hope.

knowthetriggers 01-09-2015 11:36 AM

One Day At a Time .....

Shellcrusher 01-09-2015 12:29 PM

Good healthy post. Thanks for sharing.

Things got a bit weird for me and my RAW once we both started working our programs. Plenty of things happened and posted about a few of them.
In the end, I learned that it's best for her to work her program and for me to work mine and leave it at that.

hopeful4 01-09-2015 01:15 PM

So far, so good!!! I hope he keeps up the good work and healing

Bamawife 01-10-2015 08:36 AM

Wonderful news that you shared! My RAH has been home from rehab for just over 2 months He has passed the 90 day sober mark. Things have gone really, really well for both of us. One thing we remember is that we take things one day (sometimes it may be hour by hour) and focus on our own recovery. I wish you and your AH the best!!! Remember to take care of YOU!

gatorfan3 02-26-2015 08:10 AM

My father will be returning from rehab in another month (he is in for 60 day rehab).

Before rehab my father would drink in secret by stopping at liquor stores and drinking either in the car or taking it with him on walks. Needless to say there is a lot of paranoia whenever he is by himself that he will go off drinking again.

How does this work after rehab? Do you find yourself looking for signs they have been drinking again after they are alone? I would like my mother to have some peace that he won't relapse but of course there are no guarantees.

thanks in advance

hopeful4 02-26-2015 08:14 AM

I was in a similar situation with my XAH. He would drink and hide it. I could normally always tell when he was drinking, which was an evil cycle. Ultimately Alanon would help her as it would help her deal with the reality that he may relapse, and what to do if that happens. How to help herself deal with that. One on one counseling would likely help. Does his rehab offer any sort of family counseling? Many do, it would be good if she goes.

Ultimately, you are right. He may relapse, he may not. It's finding a way to see if you can deal with that reality, or not.

Hugs and best wishes to you and your family!

Originally Posted by gatorfan3 (Post 5226185)
My father will be returning from rehab in another month (he is in for 60 day rehab).

Before rehab my father would drink in secret by stopping at liquor stores and drinking either in the car or taking it with him on walks. Needless to say there is a lot of paranoia whenever he is by himself that he will go off drinking again.

How does this work after rehab? Do you find yourself looking for signs they have been drinking again after they are alone? I would like my mother to have some peace that he won't relapse but of course there are no guarantees.

thanks in advance