Update & question

Old 01-08-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update & question

Last May, I came here in a state of devastation. My wife had been hiding her alcoholism from me and the family. She was in bad shape. She entered rehab for 30 days and other than a one-day slip shortly after rehab, has been totally sober since then. She is kicking ass in her recovery and is feeling and looking better than I have seen in years.

I'm doing much better as well. Al-Anon has been amazing.

My question (rhetorical) is: When will I stop smelling her for alcohol? It baffles me. I thought 8 months of her sobriety would heal me.

I don't really expect an answer to my question, I'm just wondering if there are others that were as slow to trust as I have been?
Old 01-08-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so very happy to hear how this has turned out for you!

When you let go of it is when you will stop. In other words, do you think the only indication of her drinking is sniffing her breath? Nah. If she drinks again you will know.

Cant Control it
Didn't Cause it
Can't cure it.

Let it go friend. If she is gonna she is gonna. Sounds like she is really working her program enjoy it.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's fantastic -- and so good to hear!!!

When are you going to stop worrying? I don't know. I mean, I think in a way, it's like with people who have been cheated on in relationships: There's no set schedule for when your feelings of trust are magically restored.

And I think part of it is decision. Deciding that it's not your circus, not your monkey, and that worrying about it only robs you of peace of mind today.