What is gaslighting?

Old 01-09-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location: The planet Earth, or at least that's what I've been told.
Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
To me, gaslighting is, whenever you are told that you saw wrong, or heard wrong so many times, that you begin to keep a journal, then you are told that the journal you keep is wrong also, so you start to walk around with a tape recorder.
I had to chuckle at that last line - funny because it's true! But I wonder what happens when the tape recorder is also wrong?
Old 01-10-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Punch in Gaslight and go on Wikipedia.org. There you'll find the plot for Gaslight and it explains it pretty clearly what it is.

It's a form of Emotional And Psychological Abuse.

Originally Posted by Jodie77 View Post
I'm kind of a "newbie" here even though I joined 2 years ago (and then went back to my Axbf). You all have been SO helpful these past few days and have eased my pain and lightened my heart some so thank you kindly.

Question about gaslighting. What is it actually? My x would put me down then say he was "kidding" or he would deny saying something or say "I only said that because you started with me first!" (which was a lie). Or he would say it was OK if I didn't attend an event with him then berate me the day after for not going. He would constantly constantly change plans at the last minute and say he never agreed to certain plans, and he always ALWAYS went back on his word about everything. I started feeling crazy.

Are those examples of gaslighting?