Thanks..........

Old 01-06-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanks..........

Thanks everyone for your support and words of wisdom. My boyfriend and I had a talk about what is going on. He said he is going to seek help and go from there. Talk to a counselor and look into rehab. He did make an appointment, lets see if he follow through. At this time we are on a break from the relationship, sleeping in separate rooms until he gets the help he needs.
Here is what is bothering me. I found out that he lied about going to work on Saturday. He never went, but he told me he did. This is the second time he has lied about work, which makes me wonder what else he has lied about.
I am really hoping he follows through with the therapy, but something deep down tells me he won't and something also tells me that even though we are on a break from the relationship, it might be a permanent thing, which is most likely for the best.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have realistic expectations. People talk a lot and make a lot of plans, but the proof is in the pudding. If he doesn't follow through, then you know it's just talk and nothing else.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Someone with way more experience than me will come and tell you exactly what you need to hear, but I just wanted to say GOOD JOB for listening to your deep down self. I don't know your situation, but I do know that my experience has been that it is progressive and just keeps getting worse.

If your taking a break from the relationship, I think that is great! Especially because it gives you the chance to run like hell and never look back without becoming further emotionally vested into this person.

That was pretty blunt and I'm sorry for that...but if I knew then what I know now.....oh boy!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Everything about this disease is progressive like freetosmile says! The drinking gets worse and the unacceptable behavior like lying, manipulating, and cheating do too. Tread carefully, even though you have distanced yourself, you still may find his behavior as hurtful.

Be kind to yourself and gain perspective and reflection. In time, you will understand what needs to be done in the relationship.