need help finding treatment for mom

Old 08-07-2004, 10:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation need help finding treatment for mom

I need some help and I do not know where to turn. It is my mother. I am hoping that someone who has actually been in her shoes can help me help her. The problem is that I need to get her help and I do not know how to do it. The problem is that I do not have any money to put her in a rehab and she has nothing left due to her addiction. She has a severe perscrition drug addiction that has been going on all of my life. (I am 24). I guess I am messed up myself cause I have always felt to scared and trapped up in my own ******** to confront her with all of this. I guess her being to trashed to go to my sisters college graduation, finding her passed out on the floor in weird postitions, and taking her to a funeral l(at her request)last week where she drooled and snored through the entire thing and had to be carried out in front of my whole family finally made me see that I can no longer go on rationalizing her behavior and have to try to help her. She is completely dependent on xanex (cant tell the amt cause she trades them for pot but have seen her take 97 50mg tabs in 6 days)and now uses oxy (21 pills in 2 days) and valium on top of this. She is dying. Someone please, if you have info on what I can do to help her please please share. Have tried inquiring with treatment centers but no one will help me since the money is short and am losing hope that I can do anything. Maybe it is too late.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On The Yellow Brick Road

Lark,

If your mother wants to help herself she can check with the salvation army for treatment. But the decision has to be hers. I understand your pain. Have you ever heard of AlAnon? We who live with addicts/alcoholics have effects from there addiction. Alanon is a place where you can talk with people that are just like you that are going through and have been through what you are going through. It has helped me alot. To find meetings in Kansas here is the internet web site. www.kansas-al-anon.org Hope this will help!!
Old 08-08-2004, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lark and welcome.

Doors begin to open when it is the addict themself that starts to knock. That is what I found true for Dino. When I looked for help for him I was ignored and once even laughed at. When he began to look for himself there was free help everywhere. I guess those social service people knew what I didn't... that it's a waste of time trying to pour someone into recovery when they don't want to be there. There will be help for your Mom if she decides she wants it.

www.samhsa.gov

That is a government website with a recovery facility search engine. If you enter your city and state it will give you the facilities closest to you and the types if payment (or non payment) they accept. When your Mom is ready it will be useful.

I'm glad you found us. We understand the pain and frustration you're dealing with.

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 08-08-2004, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I've Taken My Life Back!!

Hi Lark:
It is true what the others have said, welcome to the forum, I am new here as well and I can tell you that alanon is a great help. It is where YOU can get help for YOU. Your mom can only get help when she is ready. It is hard to deal with a parent who is an addict/alcoholic. I know because my mom was. Alanon helps me, as does this forum. My only other idea for you, is if you have other family members is maybe an intervention with your mom? Maybe other feedback from the other members of this forum would help on this one.. Im a newbie, but have heard that that sometimes helps. Good luck to you, and feel free to email or message. Your in my thoughts!!!!!