Looking forward to Christmas!

Old 12-23-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Looking forward to Christmas!

For the first time in 7 years I'm single at Christmas and looking forward to it wholeheartedly. I will be spending it with my extended family (12 people) and I won't have to worry about the EXABF getting drunk and embarrassing me in front of my family. I don't have to worry about finding a liquor store on the way back to his place as he needs to continue drinking. I don't have to worry about organizing ALL the presents and food and decorations and managing the time that can be spent at each party. I don't have to worry about him partying til late at night when I just want to sleep as it was a big day. I don't have to worry about his hangover the next day. God, what a relief.

When I first arrived at these forums, I wasn't quite ready to leave him, and I was in denial about how bad everything really was. Still, SR members listened to me and told me what I needed to hear. That when I was ready, it would be best to leave as things were NOT going to get better. How right you all were. And based on little snippets of information I hear from his children, he's getting much worse. Even though I walked away from the relationship with next to nothing and now live with my mother and brother, I am very grateful to no longer be with him.

So I wanted to thank you all sincerely for this Christmas. Where I will be able to enjoy the food, my family and gifts without any stress. I'm ever so glad I listened to you all.

I wish you all a safe, peaceful and stress free holiday season and for those still on the alcoholic crazy train, I wish you strength and hope to get through this time without harm.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And I wish you the same, MissBeth!!! And I thank you for this post. Despite my best intentions, I was stressed tonight -- the control freak in me was irritated that husband and son went to the grocery store and got the wrong stuff, and not enough butter, and forgot the prunes and the cinnamon sticks...

... and your post reminded me of how life used to be when I was married to an alcoholic, and nobody but me went shopping. Nobody but me prepared anything. When I was IT for food and smoothing over conflicts and hoping he wouldn't throw a fit or be so drunk that we couldn't go to church...

It's a blessing that we forget the bad stuff. But it's good to be reminded in order to be grateful.

Thank you -- and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!
Old 12-23-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Double post
Old 12-23-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Triple post