Husband Has 28 Days Alcohol Free, Big Improvement

Old 12-20-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband Has 28 Days Alcohol Free, Big Improvement

Well, my husband has made it to 28 days sober from alcohol, while my sobriety has reached 50 days. In these 28 days, our relationship has been pretty good, and I have enjoyed the calm and peace.

Because I am 50 days sober myself, here are some insights I have learned:

(1) The stronger I am in my own recovery, the stronger my husband is in his own recovery, and our relationship is better.
(2) I notice that my husband's personality and behavior when sober is very high energy (this high energy when he is sober is something that I can cope with in our relationship and is not a deal breaker). But I realize why my husband cannot drink alcohol. The alcohol makes his already "out of control" personality way too out of control, even when he is not belligerent. He goes from a 6/10 to an 8 or 9/10 on a 10-point scale, and this energy becomes unmanageable for me, as well as something I don't want to be around.

For example, my husband made a comment last night in bed that was a bit rude and unappealing. I think he made this comment because he was tired and cranky after working overtime at work. Anyways, after he made this comment, he realized what he had said, softened up a bit, and made the situation better for me. I told him that if he was drunk, he would have "ran off" on this inconsiderate comment, or else he would have verbally attacked me if I confronted him about it. He listened.

Basically, I told my husband that he cannot think clearly when he is intoxicated from alcohol, and that this affects our relationship.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Perhaps you could clarify what you would like from us in response to this post? Are you looking for advice or something else? Give us a better idea, because I don't think many people here are sure.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi JB, I'm glad he's staying sober and I really hope it continues. I bet you're looking forward to Christmas for once.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shil2587 View Post
Perhaps you could clarify what you would like from us in response to this post? Are you looking for advice or something else? Give us a better idea, because I don't think many people here are sure.
I'm giving the forum an update on how things are going with my alcoholic husband. Members are free to post, not post, or share whatever they want. I am not looking for anything in particular.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Hi JB, I'm glad he's staying sober and I really hope it continues. I bet you're looking forward to Christmas for once.
Yes, it is nice that he staying sober. I am a lot merrier at work. It shows just how much better my life is when my husband is not drinking. And I am sharing this information with him as well.

Looking more forward to Christmas this year. There seems to be a glimmer of hope.

It is nice, however, walking around with my husband with all of the decorations without having to worry about him wanting another beer, and then where that may lead.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As a recovering alcoholic I'll caution you to focus 100% on your own recovery. I'm concerned that you're linking your recovery to your husbands which is dangerous if one of you relapses. Are you going to meetings, do you have a sponsor. This should be the focus now.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

As a human, I can understand the craving of a piece of "normal" family experience--especially at Christmas! I can understand savoring that.

dandylion
Old 12-22-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad things are going well for you.
I can relate... it's so nice to not have to worry (as much) what AH will do, especially at this time of year.