Did you cry at your first al anon meeting?

Old 12-16-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did you cry at your first al anon meeting?

When I think back to the first meeting I sat in, I get why people gave me their numbers instantly after that meeting. I was just pouring tears. Now I can go and not cry. I guess that is progress, and also makes me realize what agony I was in when I walked through those doors for the first time.

Every time my brain wants to tell me he maybe isn't an alcoholic and he hasn't dropped dead yet, I think, well then why was I crying in al anon on that first meeting, feeling SO horrible. Why have others said they cried too that first meeting? I see a lot of new comers come in like that. My heart always goes out to them. Glad I can look back and see the progress I have made and how this program is a true miracle in progress. Even if you don't even do step work and just go and sit there physically, that mere action does somehow improve and affect some change.. something inside of you. It is magical..
Old 12-16-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I barely even remember saying my name at my first Al Anon. I spent the entire meeting bawling my eyes out. It speaks volumes for the recovery and the character of those "Alagrannies" that they told me to keep coming back
Old 12-16-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes
Old 12-16-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I went to my first Al-Anon meeting when my first husband got sober, and he never drank again, so I wasn't tearful, I was HAPPY at my first meeting.

I quit going because things were going well (though we did eventually separate, not due to anything alcohol-related), but found myself going back because my then-partner (whom I later, foolishly, married) was near death from liver failure after acute withdrawal. My first husband, bless his heart, had held onto my Al-Anon books and gave them to me.

When I went BACK, I was terrified and desperate. I am not much of a cryer (more likely to cry when angry than any other time), so I don't think I ever cried at a meeting, but I sure felt desperate and helpless that second go-round.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I like to blame it on my allergies !
Old 12-16-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Like a baby. I would hear the stories and cringe and feel so exposed because my feelings had been hidden for so long. And then another woman said 'I need to hear this again please re read that passage' about a woman who had resentment in her heart it led her to judge other people not knowing that it was hurting her...I was embarrassed that I could have been that woman and the ladies and men in the room all agreed that they too could have been also. I left crying thinking my god I'm not crazy, thank you!
Old 12-16-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I was still so angry over the events that lead to me seeking out Al-Anon that crying just wasn't in my emotional database. That comes and goes depending on the meeting topic, and only happens when we are discussing things relating to growing up in an alcoholic home.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I was still so angry over the events that led me to seeking out Al-Anon that crying just wasn't in my emotional database. That comes and goes depending on the meeting topic, and only happens when we are discussing things relating to growing up in an alcoholic home.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Oops. Double-posted from my phone. If an admin can delete the duplicate and this post, that would be awesome.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Grits, it's a glitch in the forum, it's happening all over. I have to wait a few minutes sometimes for my post to appear. If you try again, you get that double post.

I usually just edit, but I don't think anyone is cleaning up the forums.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I couldn't figure out how to edit and delete the duplicate. I was just trying to fix a typo. Lol
Old 12-16-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You can't delete the dupe, but you can edit and replace it with "Sorry, double post" or whatever.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
I like to blame it on my allergies !
Yep. Allergies.

Now I just stop, breathe, and go on.

Just so long as they do not start running for the "rescue tissues."

That tissue box Makes Me Crazy.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes I think I teared up.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Did I cry? Heck no! I was so happy to be in a room full of people who understood what I was going through it took all of my energy to keep from dancing on the table.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Present

Yes, I cried at my first meeting. I was in a lot of pain. Everyone said to keep coming back. They said they'd all been where I was at one time or another.

I am glad to be one who gives ESH now. Giving back is healing.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes I cried at the first two or three meetings. It was very emotional to hear everyone going through the same kind of pain I was in. It was also very therapeutic.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've been attending meetings for 3 months now and I'm still crying at some when I share or when something touches me....lol one of the "Alagrannies" (as Carlotta termed them) said to make sure I sit in front of the tissue box - of course it was said with a smile and a big hug.

But I always feel better afterwards.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am the reason my meetings added a second box of Kleenex.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I cried after my first meeting. Bawled my eyes out for hours. It was a release. I hadn't really cried more than few sniffles for the better part of two years. My ex used to take on my moods to the point where I felt safer not expressing any emotions. My tears used to infuriate him because I had "no reason" to cry.