Did you cry at your first al anon meeting?

Old 12-17-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I love that song so here it is for all of us who have cried rivers and also to those of us who could not even find their tears anymore

Old 12-17-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was sobbing in the car there, in the parking lot before, and during...absolutely exhausted after, but my oh my was it a healing cry.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have been attending alanon for 5 months and I still cry in the meetings. I feel so safe at these meetings that it has become a release for me. I know everyone understands because everyone there has been through it.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It took me months of attending Celebrate Recovery before I could make it through one without crying.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I cried silently the entire first meeting. The tears just poured out. I couldn't speak. A bunch of lovely ladies tried to talk to me afterwards, but I was incapable of saying anything.

The next day, xah found me crying at 6am as I read the Al Anon brochures. He put a cup of coffee on the night stand next to me and wasn't seeming concerned. More like slightly amused and detached.

Those were the good old days, in retrospect. Little did I know how horrid he would behave towards all of us afterwards.

I was so innocent.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I cried my eyes out! It was such a release to be in the right place and let go of all the crap I had held onto. Everyone was so wonderful to me there and very supportive. I hadn't felt that in years, so it was great. A defining point in my life I will never forget.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

At my first Alanon meeting, a veteran member spoke of their childhood and I experienced something like never before in my entire life. "you have hidden something from everyone INCLUDING and MOSTLY yourself" I would compare the experience to someone sitting there and reading from my own diary - one I had buried away for decades...and forgotten. Truly liberating for it to return. Guess what's in there? ME.
I began to speak about how my father's behavior had changed dramatically when he "cut-back" on his drinking (no more scotch, just beer). To think...he only cut back...he wasn't even sober. I have never known a sober father.

Yep on the tears thing. I could barely get all my words out - lots of blubbering.

But, from then on, I just KEPT coming back. I was in the right place. Finally someone to be there to tell me "umm, you're not crazy - that stuff does hurt...I understand." What a relief...