Reading Ideas?

Old 12-15-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reading Ideas?

I'm an avid reader and reading really helps me disconnect from the anxiety and relax. I've read the list of books that others have suggested in the sticky thread, however, I'd really like some personal suggestions from those of you that have read a book (or books) that have helped in the beginning stages of breaking up and moving on without the A.

So far I've read:

If You Loved Me You'd Stop and Codependent No More.

I'm more of the analytical type - I have a deep need to know how things work and why they work that way. When something is affecting me or interests me, I can't get enough information about it.

Any personal suggestions that really helped you along the way? Feeling a bit down today, hoping taking my daughter to our local church's Christmas light show tonight cheers me up a bit. I just wish this emotional roller coaster would end already -- I want to have moved on yesterday, ugh. One good day, one bad day, one ok day, one not so ok day, another good day and on and on. Never again!
Old 12-15-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

It isn't specifically about breaking up with alcoholics, but this book got me through two divorces: Uncoupling, by Diane Vaughan. Fascinating read about what happens when a couple splits up (LTR, marriage, straight or gay)--dynamics, how one partner is the "initiator" and the other partner may not have a clue anything's wrong (or how bad it is), etc. She interviewed a large number of couples, and I felt it was very enlightening.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've read a ton of books.

I'll preface these books by saying that I am a Christian and that these books are faith based, but they helped me so much and if you can look past the Biblical verses, you might find them helpful.

Anything by Cloud and Townsend but I really liked, "Necessary Endings". It really helped me see that some relationships(work, personal, familial, etc) actually do NEED to end and that it's OK.

And, I liked, "The Emotionally Destructive Marriage" by Leslie Vernick. Not really a book for coming out of a destructive marriage but she gives advice and a plan for how to live and to live from your core, your beliefs, and she encourages you to get your head out of the sand and to live in reality. She is a Christian counselor and life coach and has a great website with blogs that I find helpful, too.

This is not a Christian book but it's a helpful resource: "Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing Someone with Borderline or Narcissistic Personality Disorder" by Bill Eddy. Granted it's not about divorcing alcoholics or addicts, but the symptoms of the problems have quite a bit of cross over so I found it to be a good read with lots of resources.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

FlippedRHalo...."How To Survive The Loss Of A Love"....is an older book on the subject--but, it has been revised. Considered a sort of "classic" by some. (O read it some years back). You can get it dirt cheap as a "used" book on amazon.com.

It is very easy to read.

dandylion
Old 12-15-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

FlippedRHalo...."How To Survive The Loss Of A Love"....is an older book on the subject--but, it has been revised. Considered a sort of "classic" by some. (I read it some years back). You can get it dirt cheap as a "used" book on amazon.com.

It is very easy to read.

dandylion
Old 12-15-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I don't understand why the double post.....sorry, folks.

dandylion
Old 12-15-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

AA Big Book? Online and Free.

Hard to find a reason not to read it.

Alcoholics Anonymous : Alcoholics Anonymous