Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Al-Anon Says We Have No Control, Yet Control Is What Helped Me Get Sober

Al-Anon Says We Have No Control, Yet Control Is What Helped Me Get Sober

Old 12-15-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I had ZERO traumas in my life (at least until adulthood, and even those were not all that dramatic). Seriously, my family was just like "Leave it to Beaver." No dysfunction, no substance abuse, no mental illness, no abuse. I'm the only one who became an alcoholic (and a cigarette smoker). My brother doesn't drink or smoke.

I have a certain tendency toward addiction, that probably is just the way my personality works. I also become very attached physically to substances like tobacco, caffeine, and alcohol.

And I'm far from alone. I hear from many people in AA whose stories are similar.
And on the opposite end of the spectrum, I was raised by two alcoholics, was surrounded by a family FULL of addicts and alcoholics, was physically and mentally abused, abandoned by my alcoholic mother as a child, abandoned by my biological father, beat and abused by my step father and continued that path into adulthood by having relationships with alcoholics.

I hate alcohol. If I have one drink a year at Christmas, that's a lot. I don't do drugs. I hate drugs. It's like pulling teeth to get me to take prescribed medicine or a Tylenol.

It can go either way - I've literally had counselors ask me how I didn't end up addicted to drugs or an alcoholic. I still wonder that myself, however, I'm very grateful that I didn't. Have plenty of scars to go around though and have a raging case of trying to "save" screwed up people. :/
Old 12-15-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I had no control over my XAH.

I could be 100% supportive, provide a home that was clean and dry of any alcohol, I could quit right alongside him, I could give him the money and space to do what he needed to do, I could plead and nag and beg and pray, I could hope and worry and wish, I could manipulate, coerce, and yell. I could blame his parents, I could require him to go to therapy, I could pick apart his life story and find reasons he was an alcoholic, I could find ways to be more empathetic and understanding about his alcoholism.

He drank anyway.

I wasted my twenties chasing after him. Literally nothing I did helped. I had no control over his commitment to alcohol, I only had control over whether I wanted it, him, and this situation in my life. Ultimately, I did not.

But to make the decision at all, I had to give up the illusion that anything I did or didn't do was a catalyst for his alcoholism.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justbreathe1980 View Post
In AA, Step 1 basically involved how I am powerless over alcohol, and that once I start drinking, I cannot stop and obsess about the next drink. Drinking also caused my life to be unmanageable.

I have not started the steps in Al-Anon yet. But it would involve how my husband is powerless over alcohol, and how I am powerless over whether or not he drinks. I guess what I am saying is that I just believe there are things I can do that can help him have a greater chance at staying sober.
I agree with what you wrote above.

You are powerless over alcohol in AA step one.

I had to modify my step 1 to read "I am powerless over people, places and things," or "I am powerless over another choices around alcohol."

I often look at the three Cs (with an addition) to help me with some of the definitions

I did not cause the drinking, I cannot control the drinking, and I cannot cure the drinking, but my actions can contribute to the chaos of the environment(and vice versa on the last part). Unless I was pouring alcohol down his throat at gunpoint I was not controling his adult decisions.

You may influence your loved one but ultimately for him to stop and stay stopped his is going to have to make a decision like you did. His reasons might be different and the right to that decision is the same.

Do I think that you being sober and getting help can impact his decision to find recovery, ABSOLUTELY. One of the pieces for me was that influence and control are different words and mean different things, especially in recovery.

I found the best influence I could be was to be healthy myself.....because if not we were both going to circle the drain.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

The big difference is encouragement or enabling. You can encourage sobriety. However, when it strays over to control, and it almost always does, it turns into enabling.

Alanon, Celebrate Recovery, whatever your source of recovery is, you do have to realize you cannot control another human being.