SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Bankruptcy (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/353163-bankruptcy.html)

Eauchiche 12-10-2014 06:21 AM

Bankruptcy

I am in the process of filing bankruptcy on a business I lost in 2013, another example of the great American dream!

My separated mate has been less than helpful during this process, producing documents my lawyer needs to try and protect his assets, with a lot of stalling and copious complaints about how I've ruined his life.

He decided to consult his own attorney, and all of a sudden is calling and e-mailing me. I've had more communication from him in the past two days than the previous 6 months.

Now he is demanding a meeting with my attorney, who is getting tired of this side show. We have one set up for January 5th.

Of course, I am being treated to dire predictions in his e-mails that he will lose his house, and everything else.

I am so grateful that this current trial in my life is not some grave illness instead, where I would have to depend on his "care." Like they say in the program and here:

"When they show you who they really are, BELIEVE them!"

Katchie 12-10-2014 06:27 AM

(((((Hugs)))))

Hangnbyathread 12-10-2014 06:34 AM

OK Sorry but maybe I'm missing something here. You said "You" were filing BK on a business "YOU" lost. If this isn't a joint filing then why would he not want to protect his assets? You declaring Bk has what to do with him?

I am not saying he shouldn't be sensitive to what you are going through, and he doesn't need to add those harsh words. But if he isn't going through a BK he has every right to try and protect his assets from your BK.

Creditors will try and attach anything of value from any source they can to try and get paid. If they sense he has been part of this, then they could come after him and his.

My ex wife declared BK right after our divorce was final. In an attempt to run from debt she had incurred during our marriage. Finances were part of what broke our marriage. I spent 2 years dealing with the IRS and car loan creditors, trying to come after me afterwords. Including placing a lien on MY house. On income I never made and a car I never even sat in. Simply because I was responsible and had financial means, I became the target for her bad financial situation.

Eauchiche 12-10-2014 06:42 AM

Hangin,
I am filing as an individual. My attorney and I are going to file chapter 13 so they don't come after any assets. My mate is so drunk all the time, he doesn't even remember the content of conversations with my lawyer.
Here is my latest e-mail to my mate, for your entertaintment:

"I realize that you have entirely forgotten the hour you took with my attorney on the phone several weeks ago, but the meeting ended with my lawyer explaining to you that we were working on Chapter 13 as the likely option.

My lawyer told me yesterday that I have "bent over backwards" in my concern to protect your assets: "your" house, "your" bus, etc..., when I don't own a THING at this stage in life that doesn't have both our names on it.

My attorney mentioned yesterday that if you have retained legal counsel, he would be happy to discuss the facts with him or her. ..... If you would like to have them talk, please provide their contact information.

On a personal note, I must say that I am so thankful that this current difficulty in my life is not some illness instead, where I would have to rely on the care of others. I also find it very strange that I have had more communication from you in the past two days on this issue, than the previous 6 months. While you have demonstrated a striking lack of care for me through this, I am glad to hear that you are alive and well."

Hangnbyathread 12-10-2014 06:56 AM

Ahhh you adding that he is an AC adds some perspective to this. Yes I am sure he is being unreasonably nasty towards you on this in that case.

Now it makes better sense.

Eauchiche 12-10-2014 04:48 PM

I really feel like I'm going nuts.
My separated mate and I have been e-mailing back and forth since yesterday over this bankruptcy.

He keeps putting up morose e-mails about losing everything and living in his RV, because of my bankruptcy. As I posted earlier on this thread, I have been very thorough in preparing for a possible chapter 13. My mate losing ANYTHING under those conditions is highly unlikely.

To be REAL honest, I understand why so many of us go NC. Being a human being with feelings, we can only take so much craziness. I don't know if his e-mails are based on genuine anxiety, or if he is just angry and using this opportunity to bash me.

Anyone out there with some constructive feedback would be most appreciated!

CAPTAINZING2000 12-10-2014 04:53 PM

Hope for the best for you

Hangnbyathread 12-11-2014 06:16 AM

So detach from this. Don't open the e-mails etc. Entangling yourself over HIS problems serve no purpose for you. You have done your part in this. No drop this with him. It is simply his way of making you miserable.

hopeful4 12-11-2014 06:28 AM

I would let my attorney speak to his attorney if there is anything you need from him. If not, I would let it go. Completely NC b/c he is just going to drive you nuts.

Mountainmanbob 12-11-2014 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Eauchiche (Post 5068261)

I am being treated to dire predictions in his e-mails that he will lose his house, and everything else.

usually not the case in a Bankruptcy these days
probably only assets connected to the business

MM

Eauchiche 12-11-2014 08:17 AM

Thanks everyone. Feeling much better today!!!

lillamy 12-11-2014 08:21 AM

My separated mate and I have been e-mailing back and forth since yesterday over this bankruptcy.
If he has a lawyer, tell him to have his lawyer contact your lawyer. Tell him your lawyer is handling it and you're done discussing it with him. It's a tricky place -- my ex didn't have a lawyer for a while, so he would contact my lawyer directly and rack up one hell of a bill for me. My lawyer finally told him that "I will start billing you for any contact you make with me" and that ended that.

Eauchiche 12-11-2014 08:24 AM

All his talk about his "attorneys" ultimately consisted of a free consultation and a talk with his newly-minted attorney nephew, who does not even handle bankruptcies.
We are to meet together with my attorney in a couple of weeks. He has already signed anything he needed to for me to proceed. So, that will be that.