Tonight

Old 12-09-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tonight

After 30 days in rehab, my husband will be home tonight. I am nervous and anxious. Not sure what alcoholics go through while in rehab, and what process they go through (emotionally, physically and psychologically) immediately after getting back into "normal" life. Since he was at a facility several states away, I did not visit. We did talk on the phone regularly, and have a few phone sessions with one of his counselors. Apparently he worked on some of his issues, and he sounded very involved in all that the program had to offer. I am attending Al Anon, and have left messages for counselors to initiate individual therapy. Reading these forums every day, and other books recommended here and in Al Anon.

I am getting used to the quietness and order in my home and in my life. I don't want chaos, can't stand it, and won't live through it again. Not sure what else I want or I like at this point.

More should be revealed?

Thanks for "listening".
Old 12-09-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lirio View Post
I am getting used to the quietness and order in my home and in my life. I don't want chaos, can't stand it, and won't live through it again. Not sure what else I want or I like at this point.
Lirio, this is a great start! Try to keep your expectations reasonable and your mind open, but don't let this boundary go. It's a very good one! And congratulations on all the things you are doing for your OWN recovery.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there... keep reading and working on you, you're doing great! hugs
Old 12-09-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you for taking care of yourself, and planning to continue doing so. From what I've heard from other F&F, most alcoholics post-rehab are pretty overwhelmed with just re-adapting to normal life, and you can't expect much from them in the way of helping or relating or supporting YOU.

Thus, Al-Anon and therapy are great ways to support yourself.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I second what lillamy said. He will probably need a lot of space and just quiet time. He may seem quite on edge sometimes or snappy or withdrawn. Try not to take it personally, it will pass (usually over the close of the first 6 months). But don't have any expectations of him being an active part of home life, at least not on s regular or reliable basis for a while.