People told me this would happen

Old 12-08-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

People told me this would happen

I didn't believe it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel calm and serene. How is that possible. I'm sitting in my living room, I have my tree up, with the decorations on it, and the lights on, have the wood stove going, cats are finally sleeping, listening to Christmas music and just really loving it. All my lights are dimmed, and living in a log cabin with the tongue and groove paneling, it just brings out the feeling of Christmas for me.

I bought my house in 2011, it was a complete mess, now I can just sit here and really enjoy it. I loved my old house, the one I had to leave, but this house is special to me. Right now, I wouldn't want to change one thing. The house is all "me". I made it "me", while I was trying to find "me". We did heal together.

Things that would have upset me don't anymore. My cats love to take the decorations off the tree and hide them, I just watch and enjoy the fun that they are having. Someday I will look under that fridge and get the decorations back and put them up again. But for today, it's just fun to watch them play.

This is the first time in my life that I have ever lived alone. I was so afraid of leaving and divorce and living on my own, because I've never been alone. Not only did I leave the State that I was use to living in, I moved to another State, and in a place that I was never to, and knew nobody. I made a lot of friends, really good friends. I can have those now.

I can also put things on my walls, and I can have stone walls in my house. I can come and go as I like. Hey, I can even listen to Christmas music other then for the 1 hour I was allowed on Christmas eve on the drive to my sisters.

What I missed the most I think was Christmas Eve my family celebrated Christmas. It was a circus. Everything was about the gifts. I gave my ex that day. Now, I'll spend Christmas Day with my dear friends that took me in when I had to leave, the 26th I'll spend with some of the family. It's no longer about the gifts, it's about family and love. I think I will take that over all the other Christmases I ever had.

I'm sitting in a house that looks like a Christmas post card in the olden days. This is what I wanted, and I finally got it.

Thanks SR

((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
amy
Old 12-08-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Aw, thanks, amy! That is so terrific--your holiday home sounds lovely!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WOW!
I have to say that this holiday season is a big challenge for me emotionally. Your post gives me a lot of hope that it will get better. Many thanks and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh Amy, I am so happy for you. Thank you for sharing this. Peace in your own home is a priceless gift that everyone deserves, holidays or not.
Watch those kitties. Mine used to turn the tree into their very own Wild Kingdom panther habitat and I had to do a lot of cleaning and restoration because of their kitty shenanigans.
Word to the wise- don't put catnip in their stockings. That way lies madness. And lots and lots of sweeping up broken ornaments.
Love you girl. What a great update. Huge holiday hugs.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh Amy, what a great post!! I'm so happy for you to have hit a point of serenity & what a great time of year to enjoy that peace.

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
Word to the wise- don't put catnip in their stockings. That way lies madness. And lots and lots of sweeping up broken ornaments.
True dat. Fo Sho. I have learned from that experience so this year's 'Nip is already safely locked away in a cedar chest. One year they sniffed out the catnip & after tearing through that package they laid waste to the bag of treats I had bought for them too. It looked like a bunch of stoned teenaged cats hung out in my living room all day, ornaments & empty catnip/treat packages all over the place. Messy, but straight up HILARIOUS.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So inspiring!! I'm so glad to read this encouraging post.....gives me hope! thanks so much!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No catnip for the cats. Actually only one of them like it. Two of them would never need it, and the fourth, he is just a very calm cat.

Now, I know I did this before, so I'll keep trying. Wanted to post a pic of my living room which is "me". I'll figure this out !!!!!!!! (lol)
Old 12-08-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds lovely Amy! You sound clear and content!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

amy19551's Library | Photobucket

OK, don't know if that works or not. Let me know.

amy
Old 12-08-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry bout that, it posted lots of pics !!!!!! Some of the way the house was before I fixed it, some during fixing it, some with my outdoor furniture that I used till I could afford new furniture, and of course, my cats.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glorious! I have thought i would love a log cabin. So happy for you.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Nobody else can see them, though, because your library's set to "private." YOU can see them because it's your account.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Nobody else can see them, though, because your library's set to "private." YOU can see them because it's your account.
Thanks, I'll fix that. Sometimes I do get paranoid and do those things.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Can you see the pics now?

You do know I am really computer challenged, but that's OK. lol
Old 12-08-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, seeing 'em now! Wow, the place turned out GREAT! Really pretty, and so nice and cozy!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I see them! Lovely kitchen redo and I was relieved your cat stand is not quite as tall as your Xmas tree!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CodeJob View Post
I see them! Lovely kitchen redo and I was relieved your cat stand is not quite as tall as your Xmas tree!

I made that mistake one year. I had the cat tree closer to the xmas tree and they took the decorations off of that spot also, now it's just the bottom. I would love to have a live Christmas tree, but I could see at least 2 or 3 of the cats climbing it, so fake is OK with me, so are the plastic decorations and the cloths decorations, plus I don't have to cut it down, lug it home, then water it. (lol)

I still have Christmas village pieces to put up. Can't do too much decorating because of the cats, but I don't think I need it. I look at the cats as a blessing, it's less work for me, because they would just tear it down anyway.

Did I tell you how much I love garage sale? They have the best Christmas things !!!!!
Old 12-08-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What a joyous post! I'm so delighted you're having a wonderful holiday. Give the kitty an extra scratch.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh, what a gorgeous house. Love, love, love it.
Keep an eye on those naughty kitties. I still think they are up to no good. They have that look about them, lol.
Thanks so much for sharing. Love your comfy decor. I am also garage sale and thrift store queen, and there's something very satisfying and relaxing about nurturing old "throwaway" furnishings. Looks cuddly for cats and humans alike.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Merry Christmas Amy, sweetheart! To you and your furry little Christmas trouble makers. I don't know if I've ever seen a happier home.

I wonder how many people realize that cats think Christmas comes once a year for them. We put up the tree for them. Decorate it for them. Wrap boxes with crinkly paper for them. Think about it. We hang little shiny things from a tree. I mean, come on, the holiday has cat written all over it!