Wanted: inexpensive gift ideas for the holidays.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I envy you soap/skin care folks! There is a place near us that has wonderful handmade soaps, lotions and so on, all made from ingredients you can recognize and would not hesitate to put on your skin. They had a "tomato vine" soap that I loved to buy in the dead of winter, as it would remind me of the smell of tomato plants in the garden in the heat of August.

I've always wanted to give it a whirl myself, just for my own use, of course....and what a great gift idea!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Tissue paper art...fast, easy, cheap.....and soo colorful and mood lifting. Google it to get a ton of ideas for tissue paper....

(I remember that my kids used to do it in art class at school). I especially loved the glass bottles that were turned into beautiful vases and objects of "art".

Making sand candles is one thing that I did with the kids...one year when I had very little money....terrific fun (guys, especially, seem to like this one).

dandylion
Old 12-08-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I bake assorted cookies and arrange them in cute boxes or some type of holiday bags with ribbons.

If you have vanilla beans on hand, I am thinking vanilla sugar would be a lovely gift. I would like to receive that.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Earlier this year we made photo canvases for my mom. I did four. I printed the photos and did it with modpodge, they turned out absolutely amazing, and it was very cheap! I used a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby for the canvases, used a special code for the pics, all of it was super cheap, and she LOVED them. They are hanging in her living room right now and look amazing! Super easy!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I second PINTEREST! Search cheap homemade gifts there - you won't know which to pick lol! I've had a hey day with Pinterest crafts...modge podge any photo to wood, homemade potpourri, garden stuff, photo frames....etc etc. so much to do - so little time on that site!

I work in marketing advertising...this time of year, the meaning of Christmas is ruined for me because I am a part of the evil money suck that Christmas gets exploited for.

Food and company, I TRY to keep my non work life centered around that this time of year to balance out my part in ruining the meaning of the season. So - I bag out on gifts BIG TIME. I tell everyone I don't want or need anything. And I only buy a couple things for my young niece and nephew. For everyone else, I always just make a goodie box for family and friends, plus I have a big garden and can, so everyone gets a jar of pickled beans.

PM me if you want recipes for grandmas caramels, almond roca, or some beautifully decorated royal icing sugar cookies! Pinterest also has cheap packaging ideas for goodies too.

Take care and have fun!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Cookies and caramel popcorn! Both are pretty inexpensive to make, and you can get cute plastic gift bags at Family Dollar.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Great ideas! We do cookies too and I'm planning on doing those canvases that hopeful shared (I printed the info off last year when she shared it so I would remember this year, lol). I got lucky & found the modge podge at the dollar tree in the school supplies and our AC Moore is an outlet so I got a great deal on the 8x10 & 16x20 canvases.

I did these snowman handprint ornaments with DD & my niece for my mom & sister a few years ago & I'm going to try to do it with my 3-yr old nephew this year:

Little Bit Funky: make these now! handprint snowman ornament.

They were super cheap and easy & not terribly messy.

ETA - I LOVE the idea of homemade vanilla extract but I realize it may not be the best gift to have sitting around in a home where alcohol is an issue. I think it takes a few months to make though, I checked into doing it a couple of years ago.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Here are the photo tile coasters: Photo Tile Coasters {Using Resin} | Oopsey Daisy

Transfer photos to wood for a unique gift: Zo kan het natuurlijk ook. Door ikproefsfeer

Everything in a Tin: A Gift in a Tin: Christmas Baking Kit | The DIY Mommy

If you want to just raid my Pinterest page, I keep all of my recipes on there for the scrubs and salts and stuff. Just message me and I'll give you my Pinterest name.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Between lack of energy and time, I went with a photo of my husband and I with our youngest son and two dogs. We were driving across the state along with DS19 and his girlfriend and at a pull-off DS8 played in the snow and we got some photos.

Inexpensive frames and prints, $5 blankets, dollar store ornaments and Christmas tins to put them in, plus lots of love. DS8 did fantastic at dollar store shopping and had wonderful gifts on a tiny budget.

Thank you for all the suggestions! Especially the reminder about our PRESENCE.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My husband seemed very appreciating of what I was able to do on a super small budget. He spent much needed time with our family, was getting ready for his long trip to his sister's home and helped me with wrapping the presents.

I about freaked over spending so much on the blankets, but prayed for guidance and felt okay with it. Got a cashier who said she loves these blankets! Cheered me momentarily until she added that she'll be buying them as soon as they go on sale and that she uses them for their dogs. Then I felt crushed - - that I was spending too much on them and that I was giving a present barely worthy of dogs to our children, and really pushing our budget as well! As terrible as I felt and through my tears, I still had a realization that the problem was much more inside me than from without.

My breakdown over that seems natural in retrospect. In doing for others, I again wasn't doing what was needed for me first. The emotions were growing ones. It was a good holiday and I'm so thankful for the time our family had together, for our extended family, for the love in our lives and the acceptance of ourselves and each other, as we are.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by keepingthefaith View Post
My husband seemed very appreciating of what I was able to do on a super small budget. He spent much needed time with our family, was getting ready for his long trip to his sister's home and helped me with wrapping the presents.

I about freaked over spending so much on the blankets, but prayed for guidance and felt okay with it. Got a cashier who said she loves these blankets! Cheered me momentarily until she added that she'll be buying them as soon as they go on sale and that she uses them for their dogs. Then I felt crushed - - that I was spending too much on them and that I was giving a present barely worthy of dogs to our children, and really pushing our budget as well! As terrible as I felt and through my tears, I still had a realization that the problem was much more inside me than from without.

My breakdown over that seems natural in retrospect. In doing for others, I again wasn't doing what was needed for me first. The emotions were growing ones. It was a good holiday and I'm so thankful for the time our family had together, for our extended family, for the love in our lives and the acceptance of ourselves and each other, as we are.
Some people just have no concept of the real value of things, so I wouldn't say that the blankets were barely worthy of dogs. I'd say that woman just didn't see what better purpose they could serve. I'm always shocked when I see people showing little or no respect for other people's time or money. Even my own kids. We work hard for everything we have, and they see no problem with literally walking on it (like clean laundry, Christmas presents, or art they made when my grandmother shelled out $100/month for my son to take the art lessons he so desperately wanted). We aren't well off by any means. I'm a SAHM and my husband is enlisted military. We don't have a large savings. We try to take pride in what we do have, especially those things that we CAN give to others, like the gifts we made this year. You can tell a lot about a person by the way they treat people and things that aren't "necessary" to them. It's not you, it's her. (Yes, I know this is rambly and all over the place. Decongestants tend to make me wired lol.)
Old 01-10-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I didn't take it that way. Some people who love their pets will spend more for their pets than themselves. She probably liked the blankets because they were of good quality---not the other way around.

dandylion
Old 12-11-2017, 04:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Three years later and our adult children still have the photos, and yesterday I bought two more soft, fuzzy $5 holiday blankets for DS10 and I... this time with even more appreciation of them!!

I also found a Charlie Brown Christmas coloring and activity book and yummy fruit smelly markers that are already being well enjoyed by DS.

DS has his birthday near Christmas and I don't know how any of the details will be worked out this year, but I'm trusting more and more in LIFE continually getting better.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

Oooh, a grapevine wreath. I like the idea of making wreaths from things growing around. What a great idea. I was going to suggest making batches of cookies and tying them up in cloths and ribbon from the dollar store.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good ideas here.

I'd add to check out Etsy- especially bc I love supporting individuals who create stuff!- though with all online purchases, check shipping fees. Around here, we also have tons of schools, churches, community/neighborhood organizations that have some type of "holiday event" (sale, etc) on the weekends leading up to Christmas. Lots of cute stuff, and again often locally made/grown.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

For those with pets...I like the idea of giving home made toys for cats.....make bags from cheap burlap material...and, fill with organic materials from the outside....like, straw, dried leaves, dried grasses and catnip.....tie with a string at the top(or sew closed).....kittens love to pounce on it...and older cats love if you attach a string to pull it along the floor....
It is even more enticing if you put a bell inside.....or any kind of noise maker...
Cats just love the smell of organic, outside materials!

Google "sand candle making"...(a blast from the past).....great projects for the kids to make presents.....

I have, also, sent bags of pecans (one pound bags)...ordered from Georgia....there are tons of companies that you can buy from...if you just google it.....
Old 12-11-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Google how to do ModPodge photos on canvas. You can print the pics for CHEAP, I think Walgreens has a special right now. Buy a cheap canvas and some modpodge and go to town. I did these for my mom a few years ago, she still has them on her wall, they turned out wonderful!

Also...if you get the JC Penneys coupons, they send $10 off $10 all the time. They have nice blankets for $12, which makes a $2 gift. I get these for teacher gifts all the time, I have three under our tree for teachers right now!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Google how to do ModPodge photos on canvas. You can print the pics for CHEAP, I think Walgreens has a special right now. Buy a cheap canvas and some modpodge and go to town. I did these for my mom a few years ago, she still has them on her wall, they turned out wonderful!
I did these last year for family & friends & they were the biggest hit of the year!

It was awesome to go through & select personal pics from my collection that represented special events to us or just happened to catch a fun moment, whatever. (my nephew winking, my niece with her "jazz hands", DD & RAH at a friend's wedding)

One of my besties lost all her daughter's first-born pics when their computer crashed & they hadn't backed anything up...... but since *I* was at the hospital when she was born, I had quite a few pics she'd never really seen. I framed a close up of her DD just hours old in a 16x20 size canvas & she cried & cried & cried when she opened it. (& I gave her the rest on a flash drive)
Old 12-11-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by torquemax777 View Post
. Not sure my AH's beer cans would make such a visibly appealing outcome however.
they would do well with the redneck crowd.
make em miller lite and youd be a hero.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

ModPodge is amazing. If there's any substance I abuse, that would be it (through various craft projects some of which turn out brilliantly and some of which turn out otherwise).

One pretty easy project: make candle holders from small jars. Get some colored embroidery floss or thick thread. Coat the outside of the jars with ModPodge, roll the jar through several different colors of floss and let it dry on the jars in a kind of multicolored spider web pattern.