Loss

Old 12-04-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Loss

You might recall that in oct I had to have my 16 yr old dog put down and I was and am heartbroken.

Tonight I came home to my remaining dog, my 12 yr old sweet girl, unconscious.

Rushed her to the ER vet. She had had a hemorrhage and was barely breathing. There was nothing to do. Had to have her put down.

I am utterly devastated.

My kids loved these dogs like family and the dogs were the kindest and sweetest dogs ever.

My girls were able to say goodbye bc they were at the vet with me and both were heartbroken. Saying things like please can we make X (our dog) better and why does she have to leave us too.

XAH and I got this dog we had to lay to rest tonight, 12 yrs ago around this time.

I guess it's fitting that as my divorce finally comes to a close, the pets we had together also left us. I dont know. Trying to make sense of it but it's not working.

My kids have experienced so much loss and hurt and this loss after our other dogs death barely 2 months ago, is just too much to take.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear of your loss. Sending hugs and sympathy to you
Old 12-04-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss, wanttobehealthy. I lost my dog several years back now, and it happened at the end of my relationship with a narcissist as well. For me, I looked at it as a sort of metaphor of the final blow to the relationship; it was really the last tie between us that had been severed. It helps now, looking back, but it didn't make it easier at the time. I believe in getting a new dog immediately, but not everyone agrees!
Old 12-04-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WTBH - I'm so very sorry for yet another loss. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with your divorce, but what do I know.

Our furbabies give us the best of times, but they don't last nearly as long as we want them to. In the past 2 years, I've had to say goodbye to 2 cats, a dog, and a horse. My oldest kitty is 16, has a hard time walking but otherwise is good.

I also lost my stepmom, the dear old man who had alzheimers who owned the dog, horse and 2 of the cats I have.

Was it a coincidence that I also had to lose his dog and horse? I don't think it was. They were either old or had health issues.

Through the tears and grief, I had to appreciate them for what they brought into my life.

Your feelings are probably too raw to do that, now, but I hope you can get to that point.

Lots and lots of hugs and prayers to you and your girls,

Amy
Old 12-04-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Such a sad time for you and the family, but they are only given to us for a short time. Have you considered getting a puppy or a rescue dog? It can be a great comfort for a family, as well as a source of laughter (if a young one). Sounds like a good laugh would be therapeutic.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't think it has anything to do with your divorce either, but it's really bad timing. Our fur babies give us so much unconditional love. Their only fault is that they just don't live long enough. (((HUGS)))
Old 12-04-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so very sorry to hear this (((hugs))) to you and your children.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. ((((hugs))))
Old 12-04-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

WTBH, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your longtime friend. I'm a dog lover too, and I understand the particular hole it leaves in your heart when you lose a houndie pal. It is so hard...

There is a thread here http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html that was very helpful to me when I was struggling w/the decision to put down our 16-year-old basset, Sam. Maybe you'll also find something there to help ease your pain a little.

My thoughts are with you and your kids.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so very sorry for your loss and I'm also sorry your kids have to go through this especially right now. Sending positive vibes your way this morning.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sorry wanttobe healthy. It's so hard to say goodbye to our sweet furbabies.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Wanttobehealthy, I'm sorry. This is such sad news. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

A friend of mine, who's dog just passed, put a request to her friends on her Facebook that anyone with an animal already up in pet heaven "waiting to meet her buddy when he arrived" post a picture. I thought that was sweet, and I know it was comforting to her.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

So sorry for your loss. I will say a prayer for peace
Old 12-05-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

wanttobehealthy.....I feel your loss. My heart goes out to you.

This was in God's hands. You did the only thing possible...I have had to do that, also.
We only get to keep them for a while.

I, also, have learned that it o.k. to get another animal in need right away, if you want to do so. (I don't buy the theory that a new dog replaces the other one). Each one is unique in and of itself.

My condolences to you and your family.

dandylion
Old 12-05-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hugs to you and the kiddos. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I'm glad you had her while you were struggling through the court proceedings.

When you and the kids are ready, another furry friend will come into your life, but you will always remember the ones who were with you during the hardest times.

Hugs,
Old 12-05-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry...pets are so hard to lose. ((HUGS)) to you and the kids.

We lost our dog in March - 12 year old Rottie - had since before the kids. She was like their nanny dog. I'm sure it's harder for yours with all the other recent changes in their lives. Honestly though I think I had a harder time than my kids.

I actually am an advocate of getting a new pet - also not a 'replacement' pet. We rescued a kitten from the horse farm across the street. My kids are in love. I couldn't do another dog right now for a whole lot of reasons - finances, uncertainty with AH and my heart just couldn't. The cat is a different change of pace and the kids love having an animal they can carry around. She has definitely made our house happier.

I'm sure both your dogs had great lives as will the next furry family member you and the kids invite into your lives. Once again my condolences.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Losing a dear pet can be so devastating. I think it is because they are so loyal and faithful and dependable; sometimes the only rocks in our storms. I am so sorry for your loss!
Old 12-05-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

At my vet is the sign 'Dog is God spelled backwards.' In this form he has brought your family a lot of joy, support and love. I'm sorry for your sorrow at this loss.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am still not over the loss of our girl, two years ago August. Sending love and hugs to you and your daughters.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My heart hurts for you and your kids, so so sorry.

Tight hugs...