Feeling just a wee bit sorry for myself

Old 12-01-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Feeling just a wee bit sorry for myself

The night before Thanksgiving I got hit with a HORRIBLE toothache. I had gotten very little sleep the night before (winding up big work project) and when the pain hit, the only thing that would relieve it was keeping ice cold water in my mouth. Obviously, that made sleep impossible. I was thinking I'd have to call a cab and go to the ER, it was that bad and I was that strung out. It finally subsided enough to fall asleep (slept till noon on Thanksgiving Day), and it's been sorta lurking in the background but not too bad since then.

First thing Friday morning I called the dentist. I have to travel this week to Minnesota for a couple of days and didn't want to get hit with pain while I was on the road. They got me in for an appointment late this afternoon.

Turns out I had a HUGE cavity in my wisdom tooth, which they extracted (the tooth, that is) without much difficulty. Unfortunately, I have to be on a plane at 7:25 am, haven't eaten all day (today was another crunch for stuff we needed to finish up for the training), and now I'm sitting here biting on a big wad of gauze, with half my face numb, and starving. And I haven't packed (will probably go to bed soon and get up at 4 am to pack).

So I'm feeling just a bit sorry for myself, and wanted some company.

I'll give it another half hour to an hour, have some soft leftovers (local convenience store has turkey with stuffing and gravy this time of year, and it's actually darned good), take a few Ibuprofen, and go to bed.

A few "there, there"s and "poor baby"s will do.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

oh no
Poor Lexie, that really sucks and what double sucks is that like me you cannot "self medicate" a toothache and have to be careful of what you take.
Hopefully, you will feel better tomorrow and by Wednesday you will be well enough to gobble a huge piece of chocolate cake
Old 12-01-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

It's ok to go on the pity pot once in a while as long as we do it consciously and for a limited time only

Old 12-01-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
oh no
Poor Lexie, that really sucks and what double sucks is that like me you cannot "self medicate" a toothache and have to be careful of what you take.
Yeah, last time I had a toothache like this, I found that even more effective than plain ice water was scotch and water on the rocks! That, of course, is not an option any more.

I'm very grateful for the skilled dentist who performed this extraction. When he started, I told him it hurt, and he numbed me some more and then did it so deftly I was shocked when he said it was done.

Oh, and Carlotta, orders are no smoking for three days. I didn't ask about e-cigs, but I used to smoke after extractions so I figure this has to be better.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry u are having such a crappy time of it. Kudos to you for continuing to work and reach out for support! I hope u feel better soon!
Old 12-01-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sorry babe. But I'm also sure you're gonna pull it all together and be the rockin' Lexie we all know and love in zero time flat.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
There, there Little Lexie Kitty. That mean ol' tooth is gone now. It can't bother you any more. Just eat your mushed up turkey like a good little cat and get some rest. Poor baby.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's even harder when you are away from home. Just remember, you are NOT alone!
Old 12-01-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

feel better soon Lexie

D
Old 12-01-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by SeriousKarma View Post
There, there Little Lexie Kitty. That mean ol' tooth is gone now. It can't bother you any more. Just eat your mushed up turkey like a good little cat and get some rest. Poor baby.
Wow, you're GOOD.

In fact, all of you are. Nothing like hitting up a bunch of people used to soothing tender alcoholic feelings to get a good sympathy-buzz.

I promise to use the sympathy ONLY in moderation, of course... Wouldn't wanna get hooked on it or anything...
Old 12-01-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ah poor Lexie.
You could maybe get a few of those nutrition drinks like Ensure and sip away with a straw.
BOLD TOOTH!
Old 12-01-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awww, that does, indeed, suck!

But the worst part's done now, so that's good!!!
Now, rest, all nice and cozy, and think about the great feast you can indulge in as soon as you're healed up enough........NOM!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Argnotthisagain View Post
Awww, that does, indeed, suck!

But the worst part's done now, so that's good!!!
Now, rest, all nice and cozy, and think about the great feast you can indulge in as soon as you're healed up enough........NOM!

Actually, I was looking forward to a great meal at a terrific "foodie" restaurant I went to in Minneapolis a few weeks ago. I've been talking it up to my coworker who's going out there with me.

I wonder how their macaroni and cheese menu is?
Old 12-01-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better soon!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Omgosh, I cracked a tooth a week ago but it didn't start hurting until tonight so I logged on here to distract myself. I literally feel your pain. Here's to the soft foods diet, lol!!!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Oh no poor Firesprite. I hope that your tooth stop hurting soon
Old 12-01-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

toothaches and earaches are the worst

I feel for you my friend.

I have recently lost two fillings, and when it first happened i wanted someone to just punch me in the mouth and knock the damn thing out, think it would have felt better.

But would did help was a heaping tablespoon of salt in a cup of water,(swishing around in my mouth) helps to cut down on the infection until you get to the dentist.

Hope the swelling and pain is subsiding, friend.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think part of the no smoking is like the no using a straw afterwards-that sucking in and you can disturb the clot there and cause it to become a dry socket which is a whole other problem. So I would like e-cigarettes would be not good either.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

A few "there, there"s and "poor baby"s will do.
This made me snort. LOL Thanks for the laugh.

I hope you get some good rest and feel better soon. Safe travels to you tomorrow!
Old 12-01-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

you sure you should get on a plane in that condition? i'm seeing cabin pressure and all that as NOT being a good thing.

you poor sweet baby, how awful. there there baby girl....you just take it easy.