Some Good News About Husband

Old 12-01-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some Good News About Husband

Well, my husband told me yesterday that his mother called and told us that his aunt will be having Christmas. I asked him if he told his mother about his sobriety. He said that he did, and that he told her that he needed to stop drinking. She then replied, "Good."

This is great because I think it's important that his family is on board with our zero tolerance for alcohol policy, so they can help encourage my husband' sobriety rather than enable it.

I was able to send his mother an email today saying that Christmas will work out for us at his aunt's house, and that I was glad my husband opened up to her about his sobriety, as I think it is important that he has the support of his family. I also told her that things have been so much nicer and calmer in the past 9 days of his sobriety from alcohol, so that she can understand the difference it makes in my life, as they do not always know what their son is like after the parties end.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's a good thing he brings it up, so you don't have to be concerned about what you feel comfortable saying to them.

That said, I have to tell you that your hope kind of scares me. When I was married to an A, he would occasionally have a period of not drinking, and I just remember how incredibly happy I would be about it, how hopeful, how I would start planning for our future -- and then he'd pick up a bottle again and... it was difficult. I felt like he was holding out the best gift ever in front of me, only to yank it away just as I was about to grab hold of it.

I hope of course that your AH is different than mine was, and that he's serious -- and that he gets help with sobriety and recovery.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Glad it's out in the open.

Do you feel prepared to cope with the holidays, yourself? I mean, in terms of your own sobriety. Do you have a plan for events where alcohol is served?
Old 12-01-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Glad it's out in the open.

Do you feel prepared to cope with the holidays, yourself? I mean, in terms of your own sobriety. Do you have a plan for events where alcohol is served?
His mom just emailed me back and said she will be looking forward to spending Christmas with us. She also said that it has always been her opinion that my husband should not drink, but that she knows it is difficult at times. She said they love us both and want the best for us, and that it is great that my husband has me, his family, and his work to keep him on track.

I do feel prepared for the holidays. I am open with people about my recovery, so that usually is my plan. I don't mind being around alcohol, as long as I can leave when I want to.