The Language of Letting Go, Dec. 1

Old 12-01-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, Dec. 1

DECEMBER 01

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Letting People Be There for Us

Sometimes, we need nurturing. Sometimes, we need people to support us.

Many of us have been deprived of support and nurturing for so long we may not realize it's something we want and need. Many of us have learned to block our stop ourselves from getting what we want and need.

We may not reach out to have our needs met. We may be in relationships with people who cannot or will not be available to meet our needs. Or we may be in relationships with people who would be happy to respond to a direct request from us.

We may have to give up something to do this. We may have to let go of our martyr or victim role. If we ask for what we want and need, and get those needs met, we will not be able to punish people, or push them away later on, for disappointing us.

We may have to let go of our fears enough to experience the intimacy that will occur when we allow someone to love and support us. We may even have to learn, one day at a time, how to be happy and content.

Learn to let others be there for us.

Today, I will be open to identifying what I need from people, and I will ask for what I want directly. I will let others be there for me.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ouch. This really hits the nail on the head for me. Needing other people for anything is like the ultimate vulnerability.

Thank you for posting these, HP!