Sober Enough to Prove a Point?

Old 11-29-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Enough to Prove a Point?

It's been a while since I've posted. My divorce decree states that I can request a breath test prior to visitation with my daughter if I believe XAH has imbibed. I started requesting one at the beginning of February this year. My XAH refused so I refused releasing custody of my daughter. He has never taken one and therefore hasn't seen his daughter on the weekends for over nine months.

Fast forward, my daughter had a birthday and turns two. Our decree states that XAH can start overnight visits when she is two. I filed paperwork to revoke the overnights based on his inability to prove that he is not drinking or under the influence with our little girl. Now he is fighting me and tomorrow agrees to take a test and our daughter. He sees her twice a week under the supervision of his mom. Now that he has an attorney and has to prove it in court, he is willing to take a test. My question is, how long can he refrain from drinking just to try to prove a point? I know his drinking is still out of control. But based on where he was at two years ago, he could "try to quit" for a couple of days. My daughter has seizures and I'm concerned for her safety. Did I mention I have to pay him $150 as a nuisance fee if he has no alcohol in his system? All that and he refused to test for over nine months. He is playing the system and afraid he will pull the wool over the judges eyes. I have to prove he has an addiction. Someone on here stated its like nailing jello to a tree. Any suggestions?
Old 11-29-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My suggestion is look into getting the order changed to his carrying a soberalert while he is visiting with the child. These devices alert and the person and they have to blow into it within so many seconds while it takes their picture and then sends the BAC level by email to all subscribed (you, attorneys, judges etc).

Amazing tool that cannot be beaten by the A...it can be set to take bac tests however often desired.

It is not recovery but at least you will know he is sober while he has your child and that peace of mind will be very helpful for you to get through these times of uncertainty.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Has anyone had experience with soberlink?
Old 11-29-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My husband volunteered to use Soberlink…and he relapsed while he was using it and actively drinking while using it. The soberlink would basically text his phone to blow once in the morning and then again in the evening every single day and he had to do it within 15 minutes of the text or it would alert whoever was listed to be notified, so he would blow sober in the morning and have one or two drinks and then wait until he had to blow again in the evening and then drink more because he knew he wouldn't have to blow for a much longer span of time at that point.

It's insanely stupid because he was volunteering to do soberlink at the suggestion of his therapist.

But soberlink is cool because it takes your picture to confirm that it's actually the alcoholic breathing into the machine and it instantly texts the results to whoever is supposed to be notified.