OT: When it rains....

Old 11-29-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: When it rains....

or life on life's terms.

hank's been on layoff since oct 7. immediate cut to the finances, but we've been thru this before and always manage. not perfectly, but we manage.

on nov 4 we had to take the American bulldog back up north to the vet who specializes in TPLO surgery so she could have the other knee reconstructed. we went thru this a few years back with her right knee so we know the drill. severely limited movement for the first two weeks, followed by months of limited activity as her leg heals. we hauled the mattress from downstairs and made The Nest in the front room, pushed up against the couch and that has been her home base and where she and I sleep at night. baby gate is up and she must be on the leash to go from here to the other end of the house for chow time or to go outside and definitely on the leash outside! no wandering around, just outside, find your spot, do your biz and back in we go.

we are also on visitor quarantine and that meant no hosting Thanksgiving or Christmas. we did have the neighbor over last weekend to watch the Hawks as his tv was messed up but it was really too much excitement for a bulldog that WANTS to play. her leg is doing VERY well and has good function, which is the good news/bad news, cuz she doesn't get what the problem is.

this past summer we bit the bullet and had our roof repaired, something we've been delaying as long as possible. and it cost thousands. we have a combination peaked and flat roof and they came, tore off all the old torch down, did some repairs around the downspouts etc, and then rolled/sprayed on this white resin stuff that comes highly recommended, new technology and all that. all seemed well. water went where it was supposed to, TO the downspouts instead of big ponding areas.

now I should insert way back when we first moved in 8 years ago, once we got into the colder months and had the heat on a drip or two did develop in the front room ceiling. it's tongue and groove knotty pine and it appeared to be condensation from one of the knots. but it would last like three hours,maybe a shot glass worth of water and that was it.

well THE DAMN ROOF IS LEAKING. we've had a steady series of drips from the section closest to the fireplace, in a variety of spots. not pouring, just a drip every minute or so - I know this because as I was lying there wide awake at 1am I resorted to counting the time between drips. this happened a few weeks back and the roofers did come back out - neither we nor they can discern WHERE the water is coming from, only where it is coming out. since that was one week post surgery for della we told them to hold off for a bit in trying any kind of fix.

temps dropped 20 degrees since yesterday and we had about an inch of snow earlier today. oddly enough the drips have mostly stopped. in fact it didn't drip WHEN it was raining, only afterwards. obviously some water/moisture is getting trapped beneath the roof coating and the ceiling. and it's going to ruin the ceiling if it isn't fixed. however at 30 degrees with snow on a white silicone roof hank isn't scurrying up the ladder any time soon.

and finally, since hank has been on layoff his medical insurance, paid thru the union, has been cancelled. and NOW he needs both his inhalers for his asthma - his breathing is already getting a bit compromised AND we now have to pay full price for those bastards. he HAS been called back to work starting Monday but his insurance won't be reinstated for a month or so.

it would be easy to really let ALL this get to us - to me and stomp around, yell at the dogs and hate life. hank is more of the hot head and he's maintaining pretty well, so me getting all worked up will NOT help. the dog's knee is what it is, the roof is doing what it's doing and can't be fixed TODAY, and hank HAS to be able to breathe, especially if he's to go back to work Monday in masonry construction!!!

but if the power goes out now that we are in the 20's at nite?? i'm outta here! LOL so not funny. we've been down that road before.....during the ice storm with no power for five days. don't push it Universe!
Old 11-29-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Oh wow! What a bunch of nightmares all brought to you at the same time! I was just cussing because I broke a nail. I feel bad now.

What can we do except just deal? I have a cracked rib. I've never broken a bone in my body until now, and I couldn't have chosen a worse one to break. PAIN ALL DAY and PAIN ALL NIGHT. I get 6-8 weeks of this!

We can feel sorry for each other, okay?
Old 11-29-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Aw, man, Anvil. I thought I had the only house that hates me and decides to throw a fit every few months.

As you said, things will work out, but enough with the cliff-hangers, already!

Seems like the roof-repairers should be on the hook for making it right (as well as compensating for any damage as a result of their negligence). Have you called them? What did they say?

I know you and Hank will hang in there and get through this, but I hope it all comes together for you soon.

Hugs,
Old 11-29-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am sorry to hear all this anvil...your plate is very full and yet you sound strong. hope i can get to where you are. sending prayers.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I....well....*sigh*

Try and get some rest before Monday, huh?
Old 11-29-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

anvil...another thanks for helping me to realize that everyone has overwhelming things going on and that the universe will help us as an when we need it. hoping that the power doesn't go out...hoping that hank can breathe so that he can go to work on Monday...
Old 11-29-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

just back from the pharmacy at wally world. $475 later......and hank can breathe again!

dear suki, OUCHIE! I've heard a cracked/broken rib is the most miserable experience ever - try not to breathe...or laugh....cough....move. your rib TOTALLY trumps my stuff! and yes you have my sympathies!

lexi...the drips started on weds, no way I was calling the roofers to come out on thanksgiving (like I say it wasn't POURING out of the ceiling) and now it's a balmy 30 degrees, what snow that is up there isn't going anywhere so there just isn't anything to be done RIGHT NOW. we did call them out a few weeks ago, so they are aware of the problem and I've been taking pictures.

iris....it helps me to remember this isn't personal....the universe isn't out to GET me and we're a happy little group at the moment....who doesn't like having a full size mattress in their living room? and a coffee can and two bowls to catch drips, one busted dog on the floor and the other on the couch. just makin' do! it would be easy to get all upset and morose, but it changes nothing.

thanks seren!
Old 11-29-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The origin of roof leaks is very difficult to determine. They don't necessarily drip where the leak is coming from. Roof leaks travel. As you say, water is most probably getting trapped from somewhere. The trick is to find out where. That can be difficult to do, especially at this time of year in Washington state.

I really wasn't trying to trump your miseries. Just mentioning that I have a cracked rib, which I've been telling everyone that I can get to stand still long enough.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i'd get t-shirts made! Just don't HUG me! lol
does this get you out of work for a while?

I went out and sprinkled the walkway and steps with kosher salt to avoid slipping on the ice and breaking anything! bucky wants to play ball....uh no, not today pal.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

damn double post gremlin strikes again!
Old 11-29-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Noooo, I can't miss any work between now and the day before Christmas Eve. I have my 12 days off planned around the holidays and the weekends and I only have to use 5 vacation days. If I miss any work between now and then, I'll have to give up one of those 12 days. Not going to happen.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Did you give Bucky a raincheck for playing ball?

Dad finally got his roof fixed last year. We had drips in my room at the time and the den (right over the couch). I finally moved the bed into the corner, something I couldn't do with the leak.

Three months later, rain was dripping on to my bed! They did come back and fix it, but we weren't dealing with the weather you are.

LOVE how you are taking this in stride!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-29-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It always seems that things happen in three's...why is this?? It is aggravating. Hope you can get resolution soon!
Old 11-29-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry Anvil, that's a lot to go through all at once. I agree breathing is a priority!

My mom's been in her house since 1969. Bought it new. The roof over the den ALWAYS leaked. They tried everything - sealing it, patching it, new roof, building a room above it - there was a balcony before and they turned that into a room, so in effect a roof over the roof. This is on Long Island in NY so plenty of rain and snow. Every new fix worked for a while but the leak always came back.

It still leaks.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Anvil, hope things turn around soon...lots of things going on at one time and holidays and stress...This time if year is always tough for me too with high heating bills and trying to get Christmas presents for my two grandsons ..working overtime when my work allows it. Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you and send a hug your way.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Are your roofers licensed? Have they given you a date to return to investigate and patch it up?
Old 11-29-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

yes they are licensed and bonded and all that. right now it's a matter of weather timing.....none of us can discern WHERE the leak starts....they were up there tromping around with hank a couple weeks back, and hank went up a few days ago and everything appears properly sealed and tight. VERY frustrating!
Old 11-29-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

that sucks!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A work in progress

suki, I got a cracked rib (self-diagnosed) when I fell down in my home office, drunk, the last year or two I was drinking. I fell right into a huge wooden chest, and it hurt like H*LL. I had some BS story I told people about how I got hurt.

The only good thing about a cracked rib is that it generally heals without complications without doing anything to it.

Handshake (no hug for YOU, Missy!),
Old 11-29-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, and Anvil, glad you got Hank squared away, and it sounds like the roofers will ultimately take care of the problem one way or another. It just sucks to have to run around HANDLING everything.

I deal with crises pretty well, but I prefer to have only one on my plate at a time.