DTs

Old 11-28-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DTs

I sit here in our flat alone. My partner in hospital after seizures fromacute withdrawal (was poorly from non- alcoholic reasons). Refused treatment so on 72hr section.

Has anyone experienced this as a caregiver? I have chucked all alcohol now for when he comes back.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Not seizures, per se, but I did have a partner (whom I later, foolishly, married) who went into acute withdrawal when he was hospitalized for pneumonia. He called me later that night from the hospital, convinced that there were cameras and microphones in the walls (these days a hospital MIGHT have security cameras, but this was before they had them) and that the FBI were outside. He continued this way for a couple of days, had to be restrained because he was violent, then went into a coma, lost liver and kidney function, and hovered near death's door for a couple of weeks.

Chucking the alcohol won't do any good if he isn't ready to stop drinking. Trust me, he will find a way to get it.

Have you been to Al-Anon? It was a lifeline for me when things got crazy...
Old 11-28-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I also have not witnessed seizures. My dad didn't have them. He drank from the time he go up till the time he went to sleep. He drank till he physically couldn't anymore, and I still have doubts about that. He had hallucinations. He thought the little Polish people and chihuahuas under the bed were attacking him, so he started throwing firecrackers under the bed.

I think DT's are more advanced then seizures. Yes, you can have seizures when withdrawing from alcohol, I think DT's my happen when you don't stop the alcohol. I may be wrong, i don't know.

Just know I don't know what I am talking about, I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone tonight.

((((((((((hugs))))))))))
amy
Old 11-28-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Actually, DTs ARE from stopping drinking (but amy knows lots of OTHER valuable stuff, so we kinda like to keep her around ) Delirium tremens: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

I think my former husband might have had DTs, but his liver/kidney condition set in so quickly and severely that the DTs were the least of his problems.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Al Anon isnt an option.. Too far away & am limited in sight.
We'll see how the next days are.. Its going to be hard.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I've heard that there are Al-Anon phone meetings--could someone please post if you have the info?

Oh, and Catareta, I don't know if you've ever discussed your partner's drinking with him, but you might ask him, when he gets home, whether he'd like to quit. If he calls the local AA number (you or he can look it up online), they will send a couple of guys out to talk to him about it. If he isn't interested, don't push it (might just have him digging in his heels), but if he's receptive, it's a suggestion you could make.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

AL Anon has online meetings in chat, email meetings and also phone meetings
Check out this link
Phone meetings might be a good alternative for you if you have problems with your sight
Online Al-Anon Outreach
In the interim, keep reading and posting here
Old 11-28-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

LOL we did it again Lexiecat, being on the same page with me one minute behind you.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

LOL, Carlotta, GMTA. I didn't have the info at hand, though, and you did. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

If you scroll down, the phone meetings are listed on page 3 and 4
http://www.al-anon.org/pdf/ENGLISHforWEB.pdf
Old 11-28-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can vouch for online al-anon meetings. I actually prefer them to the in person meetings.