Pumpkin Pie, Not Perfection

Old 11-27-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pumpkin Pie, Not Perfection

This morning AH and DD3 were making an allergy free pumpkin pie dessert that all of us could enjoy. I was entertaining our other DD while they cooked.

I noticed that he was using a measuring spoon that has different measurements on each side. One side is 1 tablespoon and the other is 2 tablespoons. He's not familiar with our measuring spoons so I asked if he knew which side he was using and let him know that they weren't the same. He said that he noticed that already and thanks.

Then I saw that he was getting ready to add cornstarch and not flour to the bowl. Was he sure that it wasn't flour he was supposed to add? I thought it said flour. No, it actually did say cornstarch.

Then he sighed at me.

Okay. The kitchen feels like my turf and I just needed to remove myself because I cannot help but "help" in a very unhelpful way.

So I went to go get ready for our day. He walks in like 5 minutes later asking me what to do next for his recipe. GAH! I thought he didn't want my help?! No. He just wanted the freedom to ask me for help when he actually needed it. Oh.

Irony in all of this: We totally forgot about dessert and never ate the darn thing anyway! Both of our kids were so wiped out from our day that we went straight from dinner to bedtime routine. I remembered the pumpkin pie after he had already left and I tasted it. Gross! It tasted like there was no sugar at all in it at all. So I texted him and he told me that he never added sugar even though it was in the recipe. LOL!

Last year this pumpkin pie exchange easily could have lead to a blow out, throw down fight. This year it was just a meh, oh well kind of thing.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are human. You are evolving and doing better, but you are still human, like the rest of us.

FWIW, I woke up at 6am to start cooking after having prepped on Wed. By the time we ate at 2pm, I was exhausted and practically delusional. Ed told me that I kept calling the turkey a "cookie." Holiday madness happens to many of us.