the holidays and feeling low

Old 11-23-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the holidays and feeling low

I feel so unmoored. I used to look forward to t day and now I'm dreading it. I am NC with the ILs. I don't WANT to be NC with FIL or BIL but is it that way by default. My FOO IS pretty dysfunctional, my father is an active A. So I have been limiting my contact with them, as well.

I met my ILs when I first started dating RAH. I was still just a kid at 20 (i know 18 is technically an adult but until age 25 your brain isn't even fully developed so......) When I met them, I saw this family that told each other I love you, that hugged each other. You weren't worthless or good for nothing like in my house. They took me in. I felt closer to them than my own family and I confided in MIL things I never even told my own mother. So when she told me it was my fault RAH was drinking and that I was toxic for him, while I was already beat down as far as I could go on the way home from dropping him at rehab, it was like being adandoned by parental figure s all over again.

So I am sad and lonely. I have no real family anymore and it is painful. I don't work on t day but have volunteered for Christmas. Being alone this thanksgiving is going to suck.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm alone on T Day too but I plan to go see latest Hunger Games. I don't mind, I will see kiddos @ Xmas.

Hang in, better days to come. Hugs!
Old 11-23-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So sorry, Terpgirl. The holidays are hard times, especially in changing times. Hugs.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A few Thanksgivings ago I had to help clean up the aftermath of an IED detonation and then treated myself to a hideous "meal" in the dfac (dining facility) for the benefit of the PAO (public affairs officer) who took our pictures to show how much we were all enjoying ourselves for Stars and Stripes and the respective unit family newsletters. Meanwhile my paranoid personality disorder commander was nowhere to be found and later blamed me for doing "double work" in order to make her look bad.
This year we're getting Chinese takeout and helping my schizophrenic mother dig out her Christmas decorations.
Ignore the calendar date and try to find something good about the day if you can.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, ladyscribbler!

The worst day in the world is better than the best day in the
suck! I think this is true of any military service, in any era or
conflict.

Find something good about the day----that is EXCELLENT advice.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You know, Terp, days like Thanksgiving are artificial constructs. Just because "everybody" does something doesn't mean that you have to dwell on what they are doing and you happen not to be. In fact, quite a few people spend the day alone without necessarily feeling bereft or having some sad reason for it.

Why not plan a special day--not necessarily Thanksgiving Day--to do something with friends. Something that's a special treat--meeting for lunch or dinner, going to a movie or a play or a concert or a museum or something. I try to plan things a few times a year like that, just to give myself something to look forward to.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been dreading all this too. However...
1. I put up my Christmas trees yesterday, and they are beautiful
2. I am going to my sister's house for this holiday. I don't have to even worry about that holiday or anything tomorrow. Tomorrow may never come. We don't have to deal with the "holidays," just "one day at a time."

Will I even get to see my mate at all this holiday season? I don't know. I'll mail him and my mother in law a card and gift each, just like always, and let the chips fall where they may. If either of them invite me, then I'll go see them.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My AH and I are separated and heading for divorce. My IL of 37 years are not talking to me at all. They also blame me for his addiction. Fortunately, I have a lot of family support. But still, I am not in my home and everything has changed. My daughter and I have decided that since everything is so different, we are going to intentionally make everything as different as possible. You need to make a plan to be busy doing something. Go see a movie, volunteer in a homeless shelter, spend the day making Christmas candy, do something that you don't usually do. It still won't be easy but it will be better than spending the day miserable wishing something was what it isn't.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Terp - I understand what you're saying. There is nothing easy about feeling unmoored in the world, and holidays/birthdays etc. can definitely amplify pain and loneliness.

Expressing simple gratitude has helped me in recovery from my own alcoholism and my codependency with my actively alcoholic husband, as well as having realistic expectations. If I expect Thanksgiving to be outstanding when spent with people who broke my heart, I'm going to be disappointed. If it go into it expecting that I'll eat turkey -- that's more realistic.

Realistic expectations, acceptance of what is, and keeping my compass pointed towards serenity and joy keep me going under the insane circumstances that my husband's alcoholism throws my way. Coming on SR to connect with others who understand the struggle helps too.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am no contact with my in-laws and no contact with my mom. This is the first year that I GET TO (see how I capitalized that there, that's me putting a positive perspective on my situation) choose what I get to do for Thanksgiving. I don't have to worry about anyone's expectations for me or my kids, I can also choose to let go of my own expectations. Thanksgiving means being grateful and stuffing myself full of turkey, potatoes, rolls and all of it covered in gravy. I can do all of that without any of my dysfunctional family stuff.

I am very sorry that you're feeling lonely, but if I remember correctly you have some wonderful sorority friends, correct? I am betting that if anyone of those ladies knew that you were planning to spend Thanksgiving alone that they would welcome you to join any of them in a heartbeat. Thanksgiving is totally just another day and we all have choices about how we get to spend each and every day. I hope you choose to be happy.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have my little family, and I'm still struggling. My old therapist said traumatic experiences tend to crop up again the same time of year like our body remembers -- and my first major trauma happened mid-November. I've always wondered why I can't enjoy this time of year, and felt guilty because I don't.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I understand. I'm not feeling bad really but I wish I could just stay in bed the entire day and get up on Friday for the weekend.

It'll be OK. It can only last for 24 hours right?
Old 11-24-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi! I keep trying to talk my 5yo into skipping out on family gatherings and just taking a vacay, but she is really insistent on the family crap. Both sets of her grandparents are lovely, but I have so much anxiety about this time. Ex is a hot mess. That'll get worse until the holidays are over. He won't even be at either big holiday function. Ugh, but the questions. How is he? Where is he? Is he working? Where is he working? Like, can't they call him? Why are they asking me?

Is it wrong to say, "i can't take it, we are going to *vacation spot of choice* for both stupid winter holidays"? Is that too selfish?

I just want to hide in a hole until 2 January. Then it will be safe. I hate this time of year. Hate.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BodkinVanHorn View Post
Hi! I keep trying to talk my 5yo into skipping out on family gatherings and just taking a vacay, but she is really insistent on the family crap. Both sets of her grandparents are lovely, but I have so much anxiety about this time. Ex is a hot mess. That'll get worse until the holidays are over. He won't even be at either big holiday function. Ugh, but the questions. How is he? Where is he? Is he working? Where is he working? Like, can't they call him? Why are they asking me?

Is it wrong to say, "i can't take it, we are going to *vacation spot of choice* for both stupid winter holidays"? Is that too selfish?

I just want to hide in a hole until 2 January. Then it will be safe. I hate this time of year. Hate.
My spontaneous response to you is that of course it is OK. It is fine! Make any tradition you want that brings you and dd peaceful memories. Everyone else can fend for themselves.

But I know it isn't that easy because for some inexplicable reason I do not give myself the same permissions. I feel obligations and guilt. craaaaazy.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

We don't celebrate thanksgiving in the UK but I understand how difficult the holidays are, I am dreading christmas!!

I don't have any contact with separated ah family they cut me off basically after AH uncles funeral. I have seen my mil once since then when she told me she would call round regularly and would be there to support me but she wasn't. They haven't even contacted the kids to see how they are!!

I am glad though to be away from the dysfunctional family they hide everything and it's all covered up with I love yous!!

As for my Christmas I plan to spend it with my kids away from his messed up family and mine yes it will be hard and lonely but the kids and I will make the best of it..

Do something nice for you, something you have always wanted to do, I understand the feeling of wanting to hide away in bed until it's all over I'd love to but to get over the hurt and trauma we have to go through it. Try not to think of it as 24 hours that sounds scary to me try to think of it as one hour at a time or even one minute at a time and remember your not awake for all those 24 hours!

Tight hugs
Old 11-24-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Terp, I understand how you feel. I am not sure if you would want to do this, but there are many elderly people in nursing homes who have no family to visit them and are also feeling lonely. Why not pay a visit to one nearby, bring them some cookies or just go and visit? I'm sure you would feel some reward and they would be overjoyed as well. Also, I'm sure there will be some friends here on SR to get you through that day as well. Change is hard, especially when we long for things to go back to the way they were. But sometimes, change can be a healthy turning point. Hugs to you.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

sorry duplicate post deleted

Last edited by suncatcher; 11-24-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 11-25-2014, 01:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Urg this blows. This USED to be my favorite holiday. We would all trundle down to the water to my lovely grandparents house where there would be cousins and food galore. My one other girl cousin would stay the weekend with my grandparents and we would spend the weekend in the kitchen with my grandmother making piparkukas (latvian Christmas cookies). Always a time of year I looked forward to. My grandfather has since passed and my lovely grandmother is doing poorly at an assisted living.

My big problem is that I have NO FAMILY anymore. No healthy people that will love me and support me unconditionally. And with it being the holidays........I won't even get the good t day food. I'm not cooking a whole turkey just for myself.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Terpgal

God has given us another family - Al-anon. I know I will be at the Alanonathon or Alkathon on TDay.

Last year was very lonely and sad for me. I was written out of the script. But if I'm to be completely honest with myself, I really didn't want to be around them anyway!

I sat in self-pity anyway.

This year it's easier. I had to go through last year to get here.

Also: Boundaries. You say you over-shared with MIL. Its better to talk to God sometimes than tell people all our stuff.

And you talked to her after you dropped off AH at rehab. That was really between AH & you. There was probably a reason you talked to MIL and I would take a look at that, then see what could be done differently in all your relationships going forward.

Also expectations of holidays and memories of earlier times before life piled up on everyone can set us up for self-pity and resentment.

The Truth is, it's really just another day.

If we can't give anything then we can spend time with HP thanking Him for our lives, Alanon, our health, and anything else we have.

And if you can find a way to be of service at your local Alanonathon that would be wonderful.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

PS they will be serving turkey gravy stuffing and mashed potatoes at the Alanonathon!
I will bring my famous dessert!

But it's really about Giving.

Thank & Give = Thanksgiving