Slightly OT — age differences in relationships?

Old 11-22-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slightly OT — age differences in relationships?

Is it too big of a gap if one person is 31 and the other 48? Assuming neither is an alcoholic, and they don't plan on having kids.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have a friend who, at 42, married a man who was 56. They now have a 1 year old and are both happier than they've even been before! He has a 30 year old daughter, too, by the way.

My aunt is 10 years older than her husband and they've been together for 20 years and have a beautiful relationship so I truly think that age has nothing to do with lasting happiness. Whatever floats their boats, LOL!
Old 11-22-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think this totally depends on the actual people involved and their preferences. This age gap is exactly the kind of age difference I've had in my most memorable and closest (mutually) relationships. 15-17. I've been mostly attracted to people quite a lot older than myself (really mostly 10+) in my whole life (and I have identified the reason why when I was younger) - it works great for me, feels totally natural. Well, let's see when I'm 60, dunno that phase yet (I'm 40 now).

I never wanted kids so that was never an issue. But I know people for whom this is too much. I guess also depends who is younger/older. And more than anything, I think it matters more who is the person than how old.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My first husband is 17 years YOUNGER than his wife. They've been married for 16 years. He was 40 and she was 57 when they got married.

I think when you are talking a 20 y/o and a 37 y/o, it's maybe a little problematic, but 31 and 48? Nah.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm 27 and my SO is 43. For us, the age gap works pretty seamlessly. He is fairly immature, I've always been overly mature, and together we find common ground in our personalities, passions, and interests. I wouldn't worry to much about age gaps. Yes, there can be a stigma attached, but that is everyone else's problem. I found that the balance my SO and I have is better than anything I managed to find with guys my age.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree that it depends on the people. I personally think it's weird if your partner is closer in age to your parents than yourself but that's just my own opinion.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I was in my 20's I dated a man in his 40's and it was great. No problem with age difference.

I ran into him last year now I am in my 40's and he in his 60's. I just opened a business and working hard on that and loving it. He retired, sold hi businesses, moved to a country club and plays golf all the time. He traded in the Porche for a Cadillac. Said he seldom travels anymore is just content to be at home.

So sometimes the age difference may not be applicable at the beginning, but can be an issue later. I could not live in the suburban areas of this city (where I grew up) taking golf lessons and being a lady who lunches. Snore.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I think that the age differences begin to be more of an issue when middle age is passed.

The many challenges that aging brings can cause drastic changes in life style and abilities and responsibilities. One does have to think about and accept these realities.

dandylion
Old 11-23-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My ex ex was/ is 14 years older and my ex was/is 12 years older. They are immature and I am mature so it evened out. However, I have heard that as you get older the age difference begins to matter. Not a big deal at 31 and 48, but different stages of life at 60 and 77 for example.