What A Psycho

Old 11-21-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What A Psycho

So today I was on Twitter and I somehow randomly came across a tweet from some dude named Dale Partridge and his tweet on his latest blog post titled How Anxiety Almost Destroyed My Marriage. Sold. I clicked on that bad boy because I obviously need to learn about how my husband is almost destroying our marriage.

Anyway, it's no secret that my hubs has really bad anxiety so I started reading this post. First sentence of this blog post:
I found myself addicted to Ambien for sleep, carrying Ativan in my wallet in case of a panic attack, and wearing a holter monitor to examine the hundreds of skipped heart beats I was experiencing daily.
Oh. Snap. Dude isn't ONLY anxiety ridden. HE'S AN ADDICT! It's like I'm reading about what I hope is future hubs! A few more sentences down there is a video link that actually is what I'm really intending to share here. It's about what anxiety really is and what mental disorders really are. As a regular non-addict person over here I don't really know about mental illness. I had mild depression after I had both of my kids and even though I requested antidepressants from my doc I ultimately self treated with exercise and sunshine and it did the trick for me each time. Beyond that, I know basically nothing of anxiety. The video totally opened up my very naive eyes as to what anxiety is and what is it to obsess about things to your own demise. It really describes my husband to a T. Not that it changes anything, but it does help me to feel a little more compassion and understand more.

In short, I'm sharing because I found this to be very informative and when I find something good I like to share. Take what you like, leave the rest.

OCD & Anxiety Disorders: Crash Course Psychology #29 - YouTube

Old 11-22-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My RAH has anxiety and OCD and bipolar. Recently I had a discussion with a neurologist that they now think OCD is in the family of Tourettes Syndrome. I already knew Bipolar is believed to be Epilepsy "light" and is treated with Epilepsy meds.

Thankfully RAH is controlled well. He has never reached the phobic level as described here.

I notice that as the anxiety grows at times it manifests more as OCD rather than Panic Disorder. His isn't the oft characterized obsessive hand washing or checking if the door is locked etc. Rather he will obsess over the way people PARK their cars. We live in a high rise so on street parking below us. God forbid if someone street parks going against traffic or their car isn't perfectly parallel to the sidewalk. It doesn't bother him all the time just when he is feeling particularly anxious.

Having had my own bout with anxiety many, many years ago, I was told by my therapist the root of anxiety is trying to control the things we cannot, and not controlling the things that we can. I agree with that. I have seen RAH focus on things that he can't do a thing about whilst the things he can are not getting taken care of. The brain can only take so much so anxiety can morph into other things. I don't believe that is the root of his Bi Polar, either he was born with that or as his neuropsych has stated may have been the result of the many concussions he has had in his early life.

As for the anxiety RAH was raised in a house of fear and his mother very, very OCD. I can certainly understand why someone with extreme anxiety more prone to alcohol addiction and other addictions. Its a nasty feeling and I empathize with those who have it to the extreme.

Thank you for the link!